2018 Club Membership (2018 AFL Audit numbers now in OP]

Remove this Banner Ad

Define real member

If it's h11, does that mean 30 year interstate and international members can FOAD?
Richmond club allocation very similar to ours, with priority given to those who spend the most. Obvious difference is the number of members means very different prospects of getting a tkt. Given the biggest and smallest club have the same approach I wonder if all clubs are and it's just a case of the fairest way.

Look after the higher memberships first and if there is any room remaining the others get it. People with H&A or H11 should always get first dibs

What's a higher member? If I have a premium reserved seat package for five games, that costs much more than a h11, doesn't that make me a higher member?

Richmond club allocation very similar to ours, with priority given to those who spend the most. Obvious difference is the number of members means very different prospects of getting a tkt. Given the biggest and smallest club have the same approach I wonder if all clubs are and it's just a case of the fairest way.

RFC like most club's have a two tier approach

Tier one is coteries and the expensive packages

Tier two is based upon the duration of your membership

For all those crying about three gamers, I don't get it on this issue because if you've put 20 years into the club, why should you be treated worse just because you're working interstate and have downgraded (know of a number of cases like this)

What's a higher member? If I have a premium reserved seat package for five games, that costs much more than a h11, doesn't that make me a higher member?

If you have a reserved seat even if it is for 5 game members then yes it should count. This is the problem clubs have created especially big clubs like Richmond, Hawthorn, Collingwood and Essendon who all have 75,000 plus members that basically for the first 3 weeks of finals if they play another vic club 20-30,000 if their members will have no chance of getting a ticket.

Imagine Richmond v Collingwood and 180,000 members trying to access a finals ticket. Good luck I say

If you have a reserved seat even if it is for 5 game members then yes it should count. This is the problem clubs have created especially big clubs like Richmond, Hawthorn, Collingwood and Essendon who all have 75,000 plus members that basically for the first 3 weeks of finals if they play another vic club 20-30,000 if their members will have no chance of getting a ticket.

Imagine Richmond v Collingwood and 180,000 members trying to access a finals ticket. Good luck I say

Indirectly this is the point I'm trying to make. People will miss out, but it's a bit rich telling people who spend 2 or 3 times as much as a h11 membership, and have done so for years, that they have less access rights than a h11 member who signed up in 2018

Indirectly this is the point I'm trying to make. People will miss out, but it's a bit rich telling people who spend 2 or 3 times as much as a h11 membership, and have done so for years, that they have less access rights than a h11 member who signed up in 2018

I agree 11 game plus members should have first preference. The big clubs like Richmond and Collingwood you would think would have no more then 50,000 11 game plus members. Give them until the first day of sales then after that any other member whether it’s 3 games or 5 games (I know that Collingwood are now selling 4 game memberships) should then get the chance to buy a ticket. If any tickets are left over then goes to the general public.

I agree 11 game plus members should have first preference. The big clubs like Richmond and Collingwood you would think would have no more then 50,000 11 game plus members. Give them until the first day of sales then after that any other member whether it’s 3 games or 5 games (I know that Collingwood are now selling 4 game memberships) should then get the chance to buy a ticket. If any tickets are left over then goes to the general public.

Where do interstate, international, and reduced reserved seat packages fit in with this?

For example, our international is pretty much the same price as h11 as it includes the AFL online access.

Btw this isn't a tigs thing, all clubs are doing it, where they enhance reduced access memberships for greater revenues - often above that of h11.

I personally am also defensive of fans who travel. All clubs have members who have been signed up for decades, and fly in for a handful of games and finals. I struggle to tell these guys they are lesser members just because they don't live in Melbourne, and their financial commitment to a club is often insane.

I agree the issue of seat access in finals is a big one, and I think club's will all eventually move to a financial segregator, where only premium memberships get finals access.

Where do interstate, international, and reduced reserved seat packages fit in with this?

For example, our international is pretty much the same price as h11 as it includes the AFL online access.

Btw this isn't a tigs thing, all clubs are doing it, where they enhance reduced access memberships for greater revenues - often above that of h11.

I personally am also defensive of fans who travel. All clubs have members who have been signed up for decades, and fly in for a handful of games and finals. I struggle to tell these guys they are lesser members just because they don't live in Melbourne, and their financial commitment to a club is often insane.

I agree the issue of seat access in finals is a big one, and I think club's will all eventually move to a financial segregator, where only premium memberships get finals access.

I agree that it will eventually move to who ever pays more for a membership inc reserved seat has first preference. To me it is the only way that makes sense. I still tell my Collingwood mates who pay $900 dollars for Collingwood social club membership that they should become afl members. I’m a full afl member and I pay $600 and I am guaranteed a grand final ticket if the pies are playing at a reduced cost for that ticket as well. Best value for money as well as $150.00 goes to Collingwood and I can see 40 games per year if I wish too.

its a really interesting topic rfctiger74
I agree that I think financial will be where it lands. eg perhaps for every dollar you spend you get 1 ballot entry. so a $90 member gets 90 entries, a $900 member 900 entries. ballot used to select who gets a seat. but even then, do they get 1 seat only? or minimum 2 seats to at least bring a partner/friend?

I agree that it will eventually move to who ever pays more for a membership inc reserved seat has first preference. To me it is the only way that makes sense. I still tell my Collingwood mates who pay $900 dollars for Collingwood social club membership that they should become afl members. I’m a full afl member and I pay $600 and I am guaranteed a grand final ticket if the pies are playing at a reduced cost for that ticket as well. Best value for money as well as $150.00 goes to Collingwood and I can see 40 games per year if I wish too.

This is a pet hate of mine.

For "me" the smartest thing I could do is ditch my $1200 a year 3121 membership for a $600 AFL one. Once past the way period, better seating, more games, easier to get good finals tickets.

But, that sucks for RFC

Insane that the biggest competitor for premium memberships that the CFC, HFC, and RFC has is the AFL itself

Clubs with big supporter bases already tier their memberships and guarantee or ballot accordingly when it comes to the grand final

as far as finals go though you're own your own first three weeks in most cases, could be the next money grab from the bigger clubs, guaranteed finals access

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is a pet hate of mine.

For "me" the smartest thing I could do is ditch my $1200 a year 3121 membership for a $600 AFL one. Once past the way period, better seating, more games, easier to get good finals tickets.

But, that sucks for RFC

Insane that the biggest competitor for premium memberships that the CFC, HFC, and RFC has is the AFL itself

Only problem you will have Mate is that it is about a 15 year wait list for a full afl member. When I became a afl member in 1997 I only had to wait 7 years to become a full afl member as at the moment they have about 70,000 afl member but the maximum of full afl members is 30,000

Only problem you will have Mate is that it is about a 15 year wait list for a full afl member. When I became a afl member in 1997 I only had to wait 7 years to become a full afl member as at the moment they have about 70,000 afl member but the maximum of full afl members is 30,000

I've been a member since 90, and had reserved seating for nearly all of it. I made my decision before 97 ;)

Also other downside is that you will not be sitting with Richmond fans as well, you will sit with opposition fans. If you play for example Collingwood who have 13,000 afl members compared to Richmond 5,000.

its a really interesting topic rfctiger74
I agree that I think financial will be where it lands. eg perhaps for every dollar you spend you get 1 ballot entry. so a $90 member gets 90 entries, a $900 member 900 entries. ballot used to select who gets a seat. but even then, do they get 1 seat only? or minimum 2 seats to at least bring a partner/friend?
So someone who is not that well off or can only got 3 games a year due to lack of time commitments buys a $90 3 game membership for 20 years gets less chance of securing a ticket over a johny come lately who buys an 11 game GA membership ($180?)? I would say the guy with the 3 game membership would be deserving of a better chance.

Though to be fair, I don't think there will ever be a perfect system. The best thing to do would be to try to reduce the tickets for the corporates and try to increase stadium capacity the next time the MCG is worked on.

So your a afl member? I thought you were still a Richmond social club member

Made the decision not to get it. Financially it was the right call, but the club needed all my coin, not just a portion of it.

I'm not bagging AFL members though, I get their decision. I hate the AFL have a membership that encourages supporters buying premium package to ditch their club for the AFL

So someone who is not that well off or can only got 3 games a year due to lack of time commitments buys a $90 3 game membership for 20 years gets less chance of securing a ticket over a johny come lately who buys an 11 game GA membership ($180?)? I would say the guy with the 3 game membership would be deserving of a better chance.

I disagree. The more you pay in one year is you should get first preference for someone who only pays $80.00 for a 3 game membership. Even if they can only attend 3 games and been a member for x number of years

Though to be fair, I don't think there will ever be a perfect system. The best thing to do would be to try to reduce the tickets for the corporates and try to increase stadium capacity the next time the MCG is worked on.
its a difficult thing no doubt.
maybe its cost of membership times years of consecutive membership = your ballot points

no perfect system

I disagree. The more you pay in one year is you should get first preference for someone who only pays $80.00 for a 3 game membership. Even if they can only attend 3 games and been a member for x number of years

So non Melbourne members just have to accept they are lesser, regardless of length of support?

I don't get why a one year Ga h11 gets preference over a 30 year international member, who pays nearly the same price

So non Melbourne members just have to accept they are lesser, regardless of length of support?

I don't get why a one year Ga h11 gets preference over a 30 year international member, who pays nearly the same price

Preference should go to who pays more. If you as a interstate or international member and you pay more then a person who pays more for a 11 game membership then you should have 1st choice if you have put more money into the club!! Pretty simple a fair to me.

Unfortunately for some it has to go on $ spent. Every club is different of course but I hate how our membership is set up. A person paying over $900 for a High Mark 11H + away access gets the same priority as a person who pays $600 for a Silver 11H membership. It should be tiered to dollars spent. Not that I’m going to need it anytime soon though :'(

There is nothing stopping non Melbourne members shelling out for a Premium membership. I live in Adelaide and get to maybe a dozen games a year tops and when I lived OS I still had a full membership. I always make my tickets available to friends or others if I’m unable to attend

Remove this Banner Ad

Back