C'wealth 2018 Commonwealth Games 4-15 April

Remove this Banner Ad

Told you Beattie would apologise.

Sort of but personally it was a half save face effort.

Why did he even sign off on it in the first place? It wasn’t a hard thing to get right

Sort of but personally it was a half save face effort.

Why did he even sign off on it in the first place? It wasn’t a hard thing to get right
Yeah but he did that for 10 years as premier. He did say - we stuffed up. Just saw him on ABC News. Said he was going to personally apologise to Kurt Fernley and other athletes.

Why did they do it? He reckons they wanted athletes to have a seat watch the show and not have to stand up for a couple of hours. Laudable thinking to try to not force athletes to wait around outside and then not have to stand up but just no understanding that part of the closing ceremony is that they are the centre of the show and don't care if they have to stand around. They want to dance and talk to others during the music. And some do stupid things. They are fit young kiddies - well most of them are. Some lawn bowlers and shooters maybe not so young and fit.

While the athletes were cming into the stadium, 7 was showing MKR

7 itself is not immune to crtisicim. They could have had a highlight package before the ceremony if they wanted
They weren't allowed. They had one news camera and that vision couldn't be used during the ceremony. I believe them as the Commonwealth games are very protective of its vision rights.

The "show" started at 8:30. Everything else wasn't meant to be telecast and was part of the pre show.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

They weren't allowed. They had one news camera and that vision couldn't be used during the ceremony. I believe them as the Commonwealth games are very protective of its vision rights.

The "show" started at 8:30. Everything else wasn't meant to be telecast and was part of the pre show.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

As we saw with 9 being banned from the games following their leaking of Opening Ceremony rehearsal footage.

Did you hear his comments about athletes' welfare, 'where do you put them '

Typical of a bloke with zero feel for the Games. This is why political blokes are horrible organisers mainly. The person that should have been running it had to be someone with a sporting background

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Typical of a bloke with zero feel for the Games. This is why political blokes are horrible organisers mainly. The person that should have been running it had to be someone with a sporting background

Shane Warne would have cast the entire thing full of Bachelor or Bachelor wannabe blonde bimbos!

Yeah but he did that for 10 years as premier. He did say - we stuffed up. Just saw him on ABC News. Said he was going to personally apologise to Kurt Fernley and other athletes.

Why did they do it? He reckons they wanted athletes to have a seat watch the show and not have to stand up for a couple of hours. Laudable thinking to try to not force athletes to wait around outside and then not have to stand up but just no understanding that part of the closing ceremony is that they are the centre of the show and don't care if they have to stand around. They want to dance and talk to others during the music. And some do stupid things. They are fit young kiddies - well most of them are. Some lawn bowlers and shooters maybe not so young and fit.

The welfare of athletes lol...what did he think will happen? Fist fights lol. The closing ceremony should basically be a concert. Get one act (this could have been the Veronicas or whatever) and let them do 5-6 of their songs. It's not that hard really.

It is an utter disgrace we didn't see Kurt Fearnley carry the flag last night. It was as un-Australian as you can get. That is and should always be on Beattie's head.

The welfare of athletes lol...what did he think will happen? Fist fights lol. The closing ceremony should basically be a concert. Get one act (this could have been the Veronicas or whatever) and let them do 5-6 of their songs. It's not that hard really.

It is an utter disgrace we didn't see Kurt Fearnley carry the flag last night. It was as un-Australian as you can get. That is and should always be on Beattie's head.
Has Beattie ever watched a closing ceremony

Has Beattie ever watched a closing ceremony
He signed off on it he didn't design the closing ceremony. I suspect he pretty much accepted everything they proposed.

I remember listening to Rick Birch and David Atkins talk about the ceremonies a few months after the Sydney Olympics and how these 2 events were micro managed by the sports/Olympic minister Michael Knight, the AOC and the SOCOG Board. Sounded like it drove them crazy at times.

He signed off on it he didn't design the closing ceremony. I suspect he pretty much accepted everything they proposed.

I remember listening to Rick Birch and David Atkins talk about the ceremonies a few months after the Sydney Olympics and how these 2 events were micro managed by the sports/Olympic minister Michael Knight, the AOC and the SOCOG Board. Sounded like it drove them crazy at times.
Shame john clarke is no longer around ,an episode about this for the games would have been great

Gold Coast really needed these guys.

thegames.jpg

Imagine the dialogue

John "Bryan, who have we got for the closing ceremony?"
Bryan "An American firm, John, lots of bright lights and music"
John "Americans? What's that got to do with Australians? What about the athletes? What are we doing with them?"
Bryan "The athletes John? Umm, Gina, what about the athletes?"
Gina "They'll be there, but we need them in and out as quickly as possible for the finale"
John "What is this clusterf***. No, this won't do at all. Call up those Games people, Bryan"
Bryan "Erhh, we... we can't do that, John"
John "Why not Bryan? These are the Games, are they not, they are the Games people, are they not?"
Bryan "Well, yes, but John Clarke's dead"
John "Well, that's an inconvenience, isn't it Bryan..."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back