C'wealth 2018 Commonwealth Games 4-15 April

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah thought those hurdles might exist.

I'm a dead eye shot for sure. Graceful swimming leaves much to be desired.

That's probably the best point. Athletes aiming for Olympics are pretty focussed and yeah, it'd be silly to spread yourself too thin.

Would still be a spectacle to behold watching a boxer do gymnastics.

Might be a bit ugly watching a gymnast do boxing though.

Not in 1896 - Carl Schuhmann won 3 gold medals in gymnastics and 1 gold medal in wrestling

The most common double up medal winners - not the same olympics - but over a career are;

* Swimming and Water polo
* Modern Pentathlon and Fencing or Equestrian
* Biathlon and Cross Country Skiing
* Different types of skiing
* Athletics and Bobsleigh
* Cycling and Speed Skating or Skiing

Partly due to similarity of sports the first 4, the track athlete usually has explosive pace to push but isn't the driver in the bobsleigh and cycling and speed skating you need a really high VO2 max reading ie oxygen consumption capacity of the lungs, as both sports are oxygen depleting sports.
Massive respect for them though. It's
Hahahahaha bloody oath.
Not in 1896 - Carl Schuhmann won 3 gold medals in gymnastics and 1 gold medal in wrestling
Yeah saw that too. It's a shame it was so long ago. Footage would be interesting.

Dammit, I knew you would have a comeback.

Must admit, I was thinking female gymnasts, the men carry a lot more muscle.

But some of those combinations from earlier Games are fascinating and serve to remind us how different the competition was back then. When it was far more like an ad how carnival, and competitors could decide on a whim to have a go at another sport. Far more charming and relatable to my mind.

I imagine it would be a bit taxing with the training and conflicting

Yeah I imagine there would be a few clashes. Event times, training times diets.

Yeah the decathlon/pentathlon events are what sprung the question to mind. Was thinking it'd be great to see someone go between vastly different events. Would be incredible if someone could place in, for example, synchronised swimming and boxing or judo and table tennis.

I'd love to see an athlete win a medal in two very different events, if it hasn't happened already.

I know it's not too different to something like a pentathlon where they are doing different things, but they generally have a link and it is counted as one event.
Edwin Flack, Australia's first gold Medalist won the Tennis and 200m.

The best example of how it can (kind of) work is Ellyse Perry.

Edwin Flack, Australia's first gold Medalist won the Tennis and 200m.

The best example of how it can (kind of) work is Ellyse Perry.
Had never heard of Elyse Perry. The (kind of) makes perfect sense. She seems like a real go getter, but the coaches quote about her not playing enough soccer to maintain world standard shows you should probably just focus on one.

They are not Olympic - multi sports events sports, but Bo Jackson in the late 1980's and early 1990's, until he had a hip dislocation and required a hip replacement (played another year and a bit of baseball will an artificial hip), and "Neon" Deion Sanders from 1989 to 2001 would play major league baseball and go straight into the NFL without a preseason, Sanders a couple of times went deep into MLB play offs so ended up missing half an NFL season.

Sanders is the only man to hit an MLB home run and score an NFL touchdown in the same week, in 1989.

In 1992 he played in both leagues on the same day. He played in the afternoon for Atlanta Falcons in Miami and then flew to Pittsburg and then a helicopter to the stadium to play for Atlanta Braves against Pittsburgh in game 5 of the National League championship series.

I can't believe I'm reading this on an Australian forum, and there's no mention of the great Snowy Baker!

1908 Olympics
4x200 Freestyle - 4th
Diving - 7th
Boxing - Middleweight division - Silver Medal (the Gold Medallist's dad was a member of the Boxing Organising Committee).

He also played Test Rugby Union for Australia, and as well as being Australia's Middleweight boxing champ, also won the Heavyweight title.

I can't believe I'm reading this on an Australian forum, and there's no mention of the great Snowy Baker!

1908 Olympics
4x200 Freestyle - 4th
Diving - 7th
Boxing - Middleweight division - Silver Medal (the Gold Medallist's dad was a member of the Boxing Organising Committee).

He also played Test Rugby Union for Australia, and as well as being Australia's Middleweight boxing champ, also won the Heavyweight title.
Pfft.

Not even a podium finish in the diving.

I remember reading about Harold Hardwick. In the Festival of Empire Games (precursor to the Comm Games) Hardwick won the 110 yard freestyle event. He also won gold in the Heavyweight boxing. He won 3 medals in the 1912 Olympics in swimming and qualified for the boxing, but did not compete as boxing was not omitted for the 1912 Games (only time not contested). Also played first grade Rugby Union in 1913.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back