Review 2018 delistings.

Remove this Banner Ad

Both solid state league players.

Would’ve preferred to keep Mountford and Hibberd instead of recruiting Tyson & Hall. The both of them would’ve played more senior footy Hrovat as well.

Possibly, I understand the punt on Hall but the Tyson one was a bad error.
Hopefully we don’t make the same mistake with Ellis this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Put Mountford on Jetta & Hibberd on Rioli yesterday, and the result would have been a LOT closer.
Maybe Mountford but Hibberd had the turning circle of the Queen Mary and poor acceleration. Regardless they would be getting a run due to injury, nothing more.

Maybe Mountford but Hibberd had the turning circle of the Queen Mary and poor acceleration. Regardless they would be getting a run due to injury, nothing more.

So does Ben Cunnington. Hasn't stopped him being an excellent AFL player. People on here, and footy recruiters in general, are obsessed with minor differences in some athletic attributes (oh, x player jumps 1.2cm higher than another on average!) and downplay major differences in key attributes (smarts, tenacity, will to succeed, gut running).

Hibberd would be close to the best runner on our list. In a side that lacks two way running, that's something we need. Has also tidied up his disposal, which is, y'know, something that can be worked on.

So does Ben Cunnington. Hasn't stopped him being an excellent AFL player. People on here, and footy recruiters in general, are obsessed with minor differences in some athletic attributes (oh, x player jumps 1.2cm higher than another on average!) and downplay major differences in key attributes (smarts, tenacity, will to succeed, gut running).

Hibberd would be close to the best runner on our list. In a side that lacks two way running, that's something we need. Has also tidied up his disposal, which is, y'know, something that can be worked on.
Hibberd ain't Cunnington. Nowhere near it.

It really isnt

Ben Cunnington has the turning circle of a cruise ship and poor acceleration. That has not precluded him from becoming one of the AFL's best midfielders. If what you get out of my comment was me saying that Hibberd is Cunnington then I can confidently say the point was in another stratosphere to you.

Cunners can turn on a dime but he doesn't have much pace.

Cunners can turn on a dime but he doesn't have much pace.

Disagree. He stops dead in his tracks and just throws every campaigner off of him while he makes his turn. I.e. he developed a strength to overcome a weakness. Again though, the point is that despite some glaring athletic flaws Cunnington is still an absolute jet.

Ben Cunnington is twice the footballer Hibberd is. Hibberd is limited athletically but can run around an oval all day. Hibberd is focussing on a handball heavy inside game at VFL level and is doing well there. Can't play half back and wouldn't get a game at most if not all AFL clubs. I think that is the only point worth discussing.

Good on him for working on his deficiencies though.

Mountford I thought was worth persisting with but No to Hibberd. Just ok at a few things, elite endurance but was a pretty poor kick.

Delistings this year will be interesting. Wright and Hrovat gone, not sure on Dec Watson contract status. Minimum 4 list changes required so could depend on trades.

Disagree. He stops dead in his tracks and just throws every campaigner off of him while he makes his turn. I.e. he developed a strength to overcome a weakness. Again though, the point is that despite some glaring athletic flaws Cunnington is still an absolute jet.

Do you know how hard it is to do that? Its the literal definition of turning on a dime.

But aside from that i do agree with the essence of what you are saying.

Our defensive running is an issue especially because of the first few steps or metres. Our players aren't fast enough mentallly or off the mark and that is where we get exploited imo. I dunno if Hibberd had the acceleration to make the difference you are thinking he could make. I never watched him play so i really dunno but thats where we fall down.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back