2018 Demons

Remove this Banner Ad

Pretty interesting- I’m guessing I can find these votes by searching the site? It will be informative for me to compare my perceptions vs those of more experienced supporters over the next 6-7 games.

There’s clearly a lot I’m missing as a new fan, because to take one example, I thought Lewis had a poor game vs Geelong.

I’m looking forward to game day threads on here. That’s probably as close as I’ll get to watching a game with fans of the sport, and it will probably accelerate my understanding of it considerably.

One thing I remember was Harmes was playing a tagging role, which if you don't know what that is it's man marking, or just following a bloke around all day and stopping him getting the ball.
Did a number on Selwood did Harmes

One thing I remember was Harmes was playing a tagging role, which if you don't know what that is it's man marking, or just following a bloke around all day and stopping him getting the ball.
Did a number on Selwood did Harmes

Yea I wasn’t noticing him much with the run of play but the commentators made a point of mentioning what a job he was doing marking Selwood.

Also, Jones leveled him. I’ve mentioned it twice already, and it made me happy enough to bring it up a third time.

Yea I wasn’t noticing him much with the run of play but the commentators made a point of mentioning what a job he was doing marking Selwood.

Also, Jones leveled him. I’ve mentioned it twice already, and it made me happy enough to bring it up a third time.
For context on how satisfying it is to see Selwood leveled ... He was drafted at the end of 2006, so his first season was 2007, where he won a premiership, followed up by flags in 2009 and 2011 and I’m pretty sure he’d have only missed finals just once in his entire career. While he was an excellent player and leader in his prime, in my opinion at least, he’s well past it now, however he’s still spoken about with the reverence he previously earned, but has since moved on from in the wrong direction, highlighted by his selection in the All Australian team, when strong arguments were made for dozens of players more deserving than him of a spot in the 40 man squad, let alone the best 22.

And that’s not even touching on the main reason to hate him ... you’ll have probably noticed, literally every time someone goes to tackle him, he ducks/lowers his body, so he gets a free kick for a high tackle. This often leads to him being split open and bleeding, and being lauded as brave and tough, where it’s actually him just putting himself in harms way to get a free kick

Awesome background as usual from TheCount.

Honestly hadn’t noticed Selwoods propensity to go low and be rewarded and regaled for it.

But I hate him and the entire Cats squad none-the-less.

I’m actually really tempted to watch the finals match against them right now.

Last edited:
Looking at how things stood after round 18, and realizing that the outlook must have been bleak.

@ Crows
Gold Coast
Swans
@ Eagles
Giants

Three games against teams above them on the ladder, and at the Crows who sit just four points behind us, and who must have be desperate to salvage their season and avenge the thumping we put on them in the Northern Territory.

Can’t imagine anyone was giving us much chance to play finals football after the Geelong debacle.

Attachments

• 54ED5944-3D62-4B41-A48C-17C114A5B61B.png
    54ED5944-3D62-4B41-A48C-17C114A5B61B.png
    203.2 KB · Views: 122
Looking at how things stood after round 18, and realizing that the outlook must have been bleak.

@ Crows
Gold Coast
Swans
@ Eagles
Giants

Three games against teams above them on the ladder, and at the Crows who sit just four points behind us, and who must have be desperate to salvage their season and avenge the thumping we put on them in the Northern Territory.

Can’t imagine anyone was giving us much chance to play finals football after the Geelong debacle.

One thing to keep in mind was our percentage, it's the separator when poin5d are even. Ours was basically an extra win

One thing to keep in mind was our percentage, it's the separator when poin5d are even. Ours was basically an extra win

Good point. Where would you say the level of optimism was? I have to imagine that the West Coast game was pretty much chalked up as an L in people’s minds with the same level of confidence for a win against Gold Coast.

That left 3 pretty tough games with the two Sydney teams at home and Crows on the road.

Good point. Where would you say the level of optimism was? I have to imagine that the West Coast game was pretty much chalked up as an L in people’s minds with the same level of confidence for a win against Gold Coast.

That left 3 pretty tough games with the two Sydney teams at home and Crows on the road.

I honestly can't remember at this stage of the season, for sure would have been some nerves with our lack of ability to beat top 8 sides.

Early in the season some were still doubting our progression, the WC game was a genuine tipping point for the fans although internally I reckon most would see this Geelong game as a huge step forward.

Petracca ****** up with that torp deep for sure, really needed to hold possession but he's a hyper active kid. Most blokes don't mature in this sport till 26. Tracs play is immature but the only way you learn is by making those mistakes. The whole team made mistakes.

Alot of our side still wants to try and win all the time rather than not lose if that makes sense. All comes with experience

Well said mate. Also I feel this game was a huge lesson for us in controlling the tempo of the game.

Mine was low. The Geelong thing was hard to take but my real fury was directed at the loss against the Saints. I was sure we were going to miss finals again and deserve it.
Mind you, I tend towards the bleak.

Couldn’t figure out the first S, so had to google it.

This will ring hollow coming from a new supporter who hasn’t suffered and bled with the team through all the bad years and bitter disappointments. But we’re going to get their- and soon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Couldn’t figure out the first S, so had to google it.

This will ring hollow coming from a new supporter who hasn’t suffered and bled with the team through all the bad years and bitter disappointments. But we’re going to get their- and soon.
MFC Supporter Syndrome. I refer you back to Fisted Forever. You will still see this come through in many reactions on this board - the more wins we have, the more convinced we will all be that the wheels are surely just about to fall off.

MFC Supporter Syndrome. I refer you back to Fisted Forever. You will still see this come through in many reactions on this board - the more wins we have, the more convinced we will all be that the wheels are surely just about to fall off.

Based on the club history I have learned in this thread, I think your MFCSS has been well earned. Take solace in the knowledge that when you win that flag, it will be that much sweeter because of what you have endured.

I’ve experienced similar as a fan of another team in a different sport. It wasn’t quite as bad as what I have read here, but there were some striking similarities. My team hadn’t won a championship since 1960. All while our closest rivals were some of the most decorated champions in the sport. When we finally lifted the trophy last year, the hardships we had suffered only made it that much sweeter. I’m happy that you and the others here will likely get to experience something similar soon.

I just came across the demonland podcast and listened to the one after the Geelong collapse. It certainly answered any lingering questions about the state of mind of Dees’ fans. MFCSS was mentioned no less than half a dozen times, reinforcing what others here have said.

Seems like it will make for a great listen each week.

Last edited:
I just came across the demonland podcast and listened to the one after the Geelong collapse. It certainly answered any lingering questions about the state of mind of Dees’ fans. MFCSS was mentioned no less than half a dozen times, reinforcing what others here have said.

Seems like it will make for a great listen each week.
There's actually a few different podcasts - reviewed here.

Different ones appeal to different people. Also good to dip into different ones depending on which guest interviews are featured.

Good stuff mate. I’m enjoying the Geelong post-mortem on DeeBrief.

Its so helpful as I’m learning the game to see if what I think I’m seeing out on the oval matches up with what others are seeing.

Watched the first half of this about a week ago. It’s been hard to get back to it because I know the result. I wanted look up the 22 picked for the game and inadvertently saw the final score. Luckily those issues are almost behind me (I think).

So with that in mind, how far in advance of game day are players chosen??

Watched the first half of this about a week ago. It’s been hard to get back to it because I know the result. I wanted look up the 22 picked for the game and inadvertently saw the final score. Luckily those issues are almost behind me (I think).

So with that in mind, how far in advance of game day are players chosen??
Which game are you up to?

Teams come out on a Thursday night, they name 22 players for games on Friday night, and Saturday, while games on Sunday, they name and extended bench of 28, that is cut back on Friday night

Remove this Banner Ad

Back