2018 Demons

Remove this Banner Ad

After the Richmond/ Hawthorn games, this was Melbourne's first chance to prove that we were a team that could go far into September.

Statement sent.

Also, if you're wondering why Melbourne is playing a home game at a ground where a huge tree that is just behind the boundary fence, it's because we have an agreement with Tourism NT to play a game at Alice Springs in the middle of the country (last year was against Adelaide, this year is against West Coast) and a game at the Northern Territoy's capital, Darwin (Last year was against Fremantle, this year is against Adelaide). There has been a game at Marrara Oval a.k.a. TIO Stadium in Darwin every year since 2004, with two played between 2010 and 2013, with Melbourne playing 1 game a year since 2010. Traeger Park or TIO Traeger Park in Alice Springs has had Melbourne host a game since 2014.

My understanding is that nobody likes the fact that we sell two home games to play in the middle of nowhere, away from where the Grand Final is played.

I'm not a fan, but what do I know?

Statement sent.

I'm not a fan, but what do I know?

Only thing he left out of that is financially it's very lucrative. At least a million a season and when we started doing it we were millions in debt.
We don't need it anymore, but CEOs don't like just giving up money

Only thing he left out of that is financially it's very lucrative. At least a million a season and when we started doing it we were millions in debt.
We don't need it anymore, but CEOs don't like just giving up money

My issue with it is that the viewing experience is worse (for a few reasons).

Is TMac back in defense?
Don’t think he was. I will rewatch that game again tomorrow. Though Goody did go though a reasonably long phase of starting Tommy on the wing - later to float forward which did create some moments where he seemed to Bob up from anywhere. Actually with Tmac starting on the wing half the time, plus Jesse being licenced to stroll about wherever he thought would best control his mood swings, Christ only knows how we were the highest scoring team in the competition.

My issue with it is that the viewing experience is worse (for a few reasons).
It is somewhat. Though I actually like the Alice game. The backdrop to the ground looks very beautiful, and I like that the odd afl games get played in towns that rarely get the opportunity to go to a live match at the elite level. 2018 in particular was good because the locals, and they are footy mad in NT, get to see two teams that were in the 8 (at least at that point) rather than be palmed off hosting a slog between cellar-dwellers.

The other NT match in Darwin I would happily skip. The warm humid conditions make it a trial for any team to play there and if you want the best possible opportunity to maximise your home and away wins that game can potentially risk a poor performance the following week. It takes too much out of players and with an even competition with numbers of teams clawing for advantage, I would give it a miss if it was up to me.

Don’t think he was. I will rewatch that game again tomorrow. Though Goody did go though a reasonably long phase of starting Tommy on the wing - later to float forward which did create some moments where he seemed to Bob up from anywhere. Actually with Tmac starting on the wing half the time, plus Jesse being licenced to stroll about wherever he thought would best control his mood swings, Christ only knows how we were the highest scoring team in the competition.

I'm still occasionally surprised where I see certain players show up on the field. Probably just my ignorance of the game and how it's played.

In this instance, the Dees were doing a fair amount of scoring early and I realized I hadn't seen Tmac out there. Then he took a defensive mark in what I would call the defensive wing. Seems to match up well with what you're saying here.

Also, I forget who mentioned that Tmac had his issues with distribution/disposals playing in defense and we got to see a few examples of that deficiency in this game. Seems like a brilliant move that he was moved forward, where that is in limited need. Keep taking physical marks and keep slotting them through the posts and that's what matters. Love his demeanor out there too.

I'm still occasionally surprised where I see certain players show up on the field. Probably just my ignorance of the game and how it's played.

In this instance, the Dees were doing a fair amount of scoring early and I realized I hadn't seen Tmac out there. Then he took a defensive mark in what I would call the defensive wing. Seems to match up well with what you're saying here.

Also, I forget who mentioned that Tmac had his issues with distribution/disposals playing in defense and we got to see a few examples of that deficiency in this game. Seems like a brilliant move that he was moved forward, where that is in limited need. Keep taking physical marks and keep slotting them through the posts and that's what matters. Love his demeanor out there too.

There might have been one of two blokes who thought about throwing Tmac forward before it happened but for the most part it was a completely random coaching move that no one saw working even half as well as it has.

I swore he would be an All Australian FB when I first saw him, now he genuinely could be an AA forward

There might have been one of two blokes who thought about throwing Tmac forward before it happened but for the most part it was a completely random coaching move that no one saw working even half as well as it has.

I swore he would be an All Australian FB when I first saw him, now he genuinely could be an AA forward

It's kind of astonishing. I keep waiting to see some poor goal attempts but he seems as steady as they come.

It's kind of astonishing. I keep waiting to see some poor goal attempts but he seems as steady as they come.

Mate we have collectively been waiting for him to fall apart in front of goal but in all honesty he's one of the most accurate goalkickers Melbourne has ever had.
As some have pointed out his issue was never missing targets either side it was the depth of his kicks. Not an issue when kicking at goal

Paul Roos did it in the second half against Essendon at the MCG in about 2015 I recall. It half worked. He presented and marked well but didn’t really kick straight. We lost but not by a horrible amount that day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Paul Roos did it in the second half against Essendon at the MCG in about 2015 I recall. It half worked. He presented and marked well but didn’t really kick straight. We lost but not by a horrible amount that day.

All Essendon games should struck from the record. That's the same team who let Col Garland drift forward and become a match winner

Mate we have collectively been waiting for him to fall apart in front of goal but in all honesty he's one of the most accurate goalkickers Melbourne has ever had.
As some have pointed out his issue was never missing targets either side it was the depth of his kicks. Not an issue when kicking at goal
Kicking on the run is hard, kicking off a casual walk = easy. I get you Tommy.

This was achieved, right?
Yes it was, with the chance to break the record by winning all 4 quarters against the Bulldogs in Sir Doug Nicholls Round.

Though it did look weird being 65 points in front halfway through the 4th and sweating over 3 goals to keep the streak alive...in front of your mother of an Adelaide supporter who thinks you're rubbing it in.

Last edited:
Kicking on the run is hard, kicking off a casual walk = easy. I get you Tommy.
Also, kicking for goal removes all decision-making from TMac. He only has to focus on the one thing.

Coming out of defence, it often looked like TMac was unsure about which option to take, or only decided on an option very late in the disposal. Hence less time to get the focus on the technique.

I’ve gone early into the third quarter of the Bulldogs game and will have to finish the remainder later.

I don’t know what the final result will be, but their response to an awful first 12-15 mins is telling. I had already sort of written the game off mentally with the idea that young teams in ascension are bound to have some hiccups, especially after a big win the week before. You see it the NFL all the time- young team beats a perennial power in convincing fashion and then they have a lesser opponent the next week and everyone assumes they will win convincingly and they come out and lay an egg and get beat. It’s all part of the learning curve for a young team who doesn’t have experience dealing with winning, and the emotional highs/lows that can come with it.

When the game looked like it could get out of hand, that’s when you look to your leaders. Which is why it was perfect that Jones made a tough angle set shot from 45 just before quarter time to get them within a goal.

Just a great response to come back and open up a lead. Hope they can finish it off.

Also, Tmac is taking some of his best marks of the year in this one. He’s easily the best player I’ve seen in the air in my tour around the league (only 30-35 game sample). Cox was brilliant in the prelim but I saw other matches where he just couldn’t come down with a mark.

I’ve gone early into the third quarter of the Bulldogs game and will have to finish the remainder later.

I don’t know what the final result will be, but their response to an awful first 12-15 mins is telling. I had already sort of written the game off mentally with the idea that young teams in ascension are bound to have some hiccups, especially after a big win the week before. You see it the NFL all the time- young team beats a perennial power in convincing fashion and then they have a lesser opponent the next week and everyone assumes they will win convincingly and they come out and lay an egg and get beat. It’s all part of the learning curve for a young team who doesn’t have experience dealing with winning, and the emotional highs/lows that can come with it.

When the game looked like it could get out of hand, that’s when you look to your leaders. Which is why it was perfect that Jones made a tough angle set shot from 45 just before quarter time to get them within a goal.

Just a great response to come back and open up a lead. Hope they can finish it off.

Also, Tmac is taking some of his best marks of the year in this one. He’s easily the best player I’ve seen in the air in my tour around the league (only 30-35 game sample). Cox was brilliant in the prelim but I saw other matches where he just couldn’t come down with a mark.

I gotta say mate Its impressive how your knowledge is coming along just from watching games.

Thanks mate. It’s a great sport, wish I had found it years ago. Can’t wait for the 2019 season to start.
You're also very fortunate to be getting a kind of masterclass from the combined football experience and knowledge on this website. So many useful insights in this thread alone - I'm even learning stuff!

This is a credit to the crew above and also to your obvious enjoyment of the learning. And you picked the right team. ;)

You're also very fortunate to be getting a kind of masterclass from the combined football experience and knowledge on this website. So many useful insights in this thread alone - I'm even learning stuff!

Couldn’t agree more. I’m extremely grateful to every poster in this thread who has offered their insight and footy expertise. It’s been a massive help while attempting to learn a pretty confusing sport.

This is a credit to the crew above and also to your obvious enjoyment of the learning. And you picked the right team. ;)

Yea it’s been fun. As for picking the Dees, the truth is at the point I came into this forum and started this thread I was leaning toward them. But, the amount of contribution in here from the supporters went a long way toward cementing them as “the team”.

Thanks mate. It’s a great sport, wish I had found it years ago. Can’t wait for the 2019 season to start.
If you had found Aussie Rules years ago, I'd reckon you wouldn't be a Dees supporter.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back