2018 Demons

Remove this Banner Ad

The best experience I have ever had at the footy. Left Canberra at 8am, straight down the highway, SEN the whole way. Walking to the G, lit up in red and blue in September. And then the roars from the Jones goal and the Hannan goal...might have had a bit of a teary.

Will I be able to see these tears on my screen?

Think kick off was like 4.40am so finished ~7.30

Got to the job site around 9 which was 2 hours later then everyone else wanted but stuff em

I’m wondering how many dicey situations like that I’m going to end up in following this team.

The good news (for me anyway) is that if I need to go 24-48 hours before I watch a game, there’s zero chance the result will be ruined for me here in the states, as long as I avoid BigFooty in the interim.

Just watching that Melksham goal again and, I know the commentators get a lot of flak on these boards. And probably justifiably from what I can tell, based on a lack of preparation (misidentifying Preuss in JLT the other night being a prime example). But for my money, when the action is fast paced in a footy match, the commentators do a great job in my opinion.

This call is exciting and perfectly amplifies the impact of the moment (he does mistakenly say that it’s Melbourne applying the recent pressure, but that can be forgiven). He takes a well timed break to let the crowd response have its moment as well:

Just watching that Melksham goal again and, I know the commentators get a lot of flak on these boards. And probably justifiably from what I can tell, based on a lack of preparation (misidentifying Preuss in JLT the other night being a prime example). But for my money, when the action is fast paced in a footy match, the commentators do a great job in my opinion.

This call is exciting and perfectly amplifies the impact of the moment (he does mistakenly say that it’s Melbourne applying the recent pressure, but that can be forgiven). He takes a well timed break to let the crowd response have its moment as well:

I swear channel 7 makes them do weird s**t so people talk about it.

On the radio BT is excellent an during the finals aswell because they have to be more serious

I swear channel 7 makes them do weird s**t so people talk about it.

On the radio BT is excellent an during the finals aswell because they have to be more serious
Channel 7 want the commentary box to be like a sitcom. They want big characters with catch phrases and zany on air relationships. Maybe it's to keep people from switching off during a boring game, or maybe they don't have enough faith in the game itself and think they can get people to tune in for the commentary.

Why couldn't fox footy give people an option? Press red for crowd noise only. The amount of airtime Dermy has had through JLT is terrifying.

There should be an option to turn off the umpires mics aswell. ******* annoying campaigners I don't wanna hear a word the maggots say nor the whistle every 7 seconds

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There should be an option to turn off the umpires mics aswell. ******* annoying campaigners I don't wanna hear a word the maggots say nor the whistle every 7 seconds

I can definitely do without the whistle. But as a new fan of the sport I enjoy (and learn) from hearing the umpires rulings/explanations.

Comes in handy as to why they are paying the free sometimes. I find sometimes when I'm at the game I am perplexed as to why they have paid a free kick.

Brian Taylor - commentates on Channel 7 and also on the radio for different games. Former player. Rather fond of his own opinions. Tries too hard to be the centre of the experience.
That's almost all of the mainstream commentators now
It's so obvious they pre write jokes to slide into the commentary.
They all want to be the next Rex Hunt or Drew Morphett or even Commetti by having iconic moments of commentary.

As much as i miss the old channel 10 days, everyone is to focused on the commentators these days. I'm like Topkent with umpires, i couldn't give a stuff tbh, whether it's Huddo commentating or Basil Zampliss

As much as i miss the old channel 10 days, everyone is to focused on the commentators these days. I'm like Topkent with umpires, i couldn't give a stuff tbh, whether it's Huddo commentating or Basil Zampliss

I wish I had that ambivalence. Bad commentary can ruin a moment or an entire game.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

That's almost all of the mainstream commentators now
It's so obvious they pre write jokes to slide into the commentary.
They all want to be the next Rex Hunt or Drew Morphett or even Commetti by having iconic moments of commentary.
Dennis Commetti was bloody excellent.

Does “gun” equate to “elite”?
I’m going to expand. Gun can mean two things. First is elite and the second isn’t elite - but it’s a particular type of potential (which may or may not mature).

I use it mostly for young players that have what looks like some skills, some footy smarts, and that necessary mongrel element that gets you a bit excited in the “this kid could be anything” sort of way.

To be honest, my “gun” proposed players are a bit mixed in outcomes. Off the top of my head, these are some kids I labeled as guns very early:

From Melbourne:

Luke Tapscott
Dean Kent
Clayton Oliver (God bless him)

Other teams:

Dylan Shiels
Cam Guthrie (I forget why now, but I recall making the statement)
Patrick Cripps
Travis Boak

There are a few more that I’m honestly too embarrassed to list.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back