Game Day 2018 DRAFT - Christmas is early this year

How do you rate our draft this year?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting development.

It will sure be interesting to see how the mid season draft pans out, and it is handy to know that if there's multiple injuries to players they can be replaced.

Depending on the timing of injuries, we may have been able to bring Brooksby or another ruckman from the SANFL in last year for cover, for example.

As it is another potential avenue onto an AFL list, it does concern me that a lot of SA/WA based players may see this as a reason to head to the VFL as Melbourne is where most AFL clubs are, instead of playing SANFL.

Certainly if you are Jackson Edwards and you've been delisted by one of the (only) two Adelaide based AFL clubs it would make sense to play in Melbourne and nominate for the mid season draft.

I suppose players are just going to play wherever they feel their best shot is.

On the other hand WA and SA based clubs may have an advantage assuming that clubs won't really relocate guys for a handful of games. As clubs have first rights to re-contract their drafted player, we could have picked up someone like McAdam or one of the WA clubs Kelly (when still in the WAFL) as long as there was someone on the long term injury list. This gives us first dibs on them ;-)

AFL Academy 2019 draftees training with AFL clubs this summer

WHO'S TRAINING AT YOUR CLUB?

Adelaide: Dylan Stephens, Will Gould, Karl Finlay

Brisbane Lions: Tom Griffiths*, Will Martyn, Bruce Reville*, Kobe Tozer, Saxon Crozier*, Samson Ryan*, Ben Jungfer* (NT), Malcolm Rosas (NT), Joel Jeffrey* (NT)

Carlton: Caleb Serong, Brodie Kemp, Matt Rowell

Collingwood: Trent Bianco, Lachlan Potter, Brock Smith

Essendon: Andrew Courtney, Emerson Jeka, Ryan Gardner

Fremantle: Jeremy Sharp, Luke Jackson, Jack Buller, Trent Rivers

Geelong: Cooper Stephens, Darcy Chirgwin, Flynn Perez

Gold Coast: Connor Budarick, Ashton Crossley*, Hewago Paul-Oea, Alex Davies*, Jack Johnson*, Matt Conroy*, Ben Jungfer* (NT), Malcolm Rosas (NT), Joel Jeffrey* (NT)

GWS: Liam Delahunty, Tom Green, Matt McGrory, Charlie Byrne*

Hawthorn: Marcus Toussaint, Jamieson Rossiter, Dylan Williams

Melbourne: Noah Anderson, Fraser Phillips, Charlie Dean

North Melbourne: Mitch O'Neill, Will Peppin*, Jared Dakin*, Jackson Callow*, Sam Collins*, Oliver Davis*

Port Adelaide: Jackson Mead, Cameron Taheny, Kysaiah Pickett

Richmond: Jack Mahony, Lachlan Ash, Fischer McAsey

St Kilda: Bigoa Nyuon, Hayden Young, Sam Flanders

Sydney: Luke Parks*, Jackson Barling*, Hamish Ellem*, Josh Rayner, Braedon Campbell*, Errol Gulden*, Will Chandler

West Coast: Mitch Georgiades, Elijah Taylor, Rhai Arn Cox, Deven Robertson

Western Bulldogs: Jack Bell, Hugo Ralph-Smith, Josh Worrell, Darcy Cassar

Spoiler alert - I’m not up to that part yet.

Do Port’s recruits all end up being duds? Ha ha, stupid Ports.

Oh... umm. I'm sure there are pills for how early I went there.

We’ve reached the apex point whereby Jones & McHenry now become a better choice than Rozee, Butters and Duursma!
I’ve fallen through a rip in the time space continuum. It’s the only explanation I can come up with…

We’ve reached the apex point whereby Jones & McHenry now become a better choice than Rozee, Butters and Duursma!

Not yet, and really, it probably takes Jones becoming a star midfielder to ever get to that point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Butters is still classy AF and has them all covered but if McHenry brings his last month of AFL into next year and beyond consistently, he'll catch Duursma. The gap isn't as far as it once looked....

Butters is still classy AF and has them all covered but if McHenry brings his last month of AFL into next year and beyond consistently, he'll catch Duursma. The gap isn't as far as it once looked....

We're certainly making some ground in that 2018 draft, seeing Sholl and Butts were later picks as well.

And Hamill and Strachan

Maybe. Hamill is fast becoming a player stuck in no-mans-land, especially if we attract Dawson, as he's the most expendable of our outside prospects at the moment. The ceiling is there, but he's not alone with that in our burgeoning outside group.

I'll go on a limb, if Strachan has a career, it's because he left Adelaide. I don't see us being that willing to move on from ROB.

Our lot definetely seem more two way and rounded players.

Ports bunch are a bit all show and no substance. Rozee in particular waits for the ball and never wins it himself. Squibbing contests and panicking under pressure. I have been vwry underwhelmed by him lately.

I think Ports lot are still ahead clearly but perhaps its not all doom and gloom for us. Jones isn't a midfielder liked we hoped but he could be a good half back/small defender.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Our lot definetely seem more two way and rounded players.

Ports bunch are a bit all show and no substance. Rozee in particular waits for the ball and never wins it himself. Squibbing contests and panicking under pressure. I have been vwry underwhelmed by him lately.

I think Ports lot are still ahead clearly but perhaps its not all doom and gloom for us. Jones isn't a midfielder liked we hoped but he could be a good half back/small defender.

On SM-A325F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm not quite yet ready to give up on Jones becoming a midfielder. He does have a lot of tools to his game, and hopefully the stint at half back has given him some confidence. Certainly would be someone I'd be looking at trying to make a piece that gets rotated into the midfield next year.

I'm not quite yet ready to give up on Jones becoming a midfielder. He does have a lot of tools to his game, and hopefully the stint at half back has given him some confidence. Certainly would be someone I'd be looking at trying to make a piece that gets rotated into the midfield next year.
Appeared to be coached ultra defensively, hope they put him back in there at stages and back himself in

Appeared to be coached ultra defensively, hope they put him back in there at stages and back himself in

I don't know. I thought he showed quite a bit of attacking flair and willingness to run off his player at the end of this season.

I like that hes willing to run with the ball also.

Another year of weights and confidence and I think/hope he can start going through the middle.

Back