List Mgmt. - 2018 Draft Day Thread | Page 42 | BigFooty

List Mgmt. 2018 Draft Day Thread

Discussion in 'Western Bulldogs' started by Wizard17, Nov 22, 2018.

1. VitalDread

VitalDread The Unofficial Face of Bigfooty Bulldogs

Western Bulldogs
    Other Teams:
    Chicago Bulls
    Unconfirmed at this stage but clubs can sign players from Dec 1 to March 14 incase of retirements

Tommycash likes this.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. Antares

Antares All Australian

Western Bulldogs
    I was just thinking. With Webb and Picken still looking uncertain, could we be looking to bring in two more players? If so, you would think they'd be mature agers without a doubt.

Tommycash likes this.
  3. Doggstats

Doggstats Club Legend

Western Bulldogs
    Other Teams:
    76ers, LA Angels
    Yea, the Vandermeer pick is an interesting one.

Similarly to last year, you can tell Bevo had a big say in our picks this year. After the obvious Smith and West picks, EVERY single pick we made was an overage player (We didn't pick Buku, he was a Cat A freebie).

Vandermeer is 19 (turns 20 in 3 months)
    Cavarra is 22
    Hayes is 23
    Young is 19 (turns 20 in 4 months)
    Sweet is 20

Interestingly this was the reason why Dalrymple left us last year, because he didn't like Bevo overruling his choices to instead take older 'win now' players.

The contrast in philosophy's is obvious as Dalrymple again played the futures market this year at Sydney, taking a 17yr old and 5 18yr olds.

7 picks after we took Vandermeer Dalrymple took Justin Mcinerney who is a very similar pacy outside hbf/wing. But Mcinerney is a late bloomer who's almost 2 years younger, taller (187cm vs 179cm), quicker (3.01 vs 3.02 20m sprint) and has better disposal efficiency (75% vs 73.5%).

Then at pick 51 Dal took another similar player in Zac Foot. Who's almost identical in height, position and playstyle but is just 17 years old. His vision is pretty damn exciting tbh. Has genuine explosive pace and x-factor.

So it will be interesting to see how those boys do in comparison to Vandermeer.

SteelF6, Tommycash, Mofra and 5 others like this.
  4. VitalDread

VitalDread The Unofficial Face of Bigfooty Bulldogs

Western Bulldogs
    Other Teams:
    Chicago Bulls
    Fingers cross both dont retire due to those injures

Depends on were we had players, might even bring in two 18 years old we wanted but didnt have the picks

5. Snarls Barkley

Snarls Barkley Premium Gold

Western Bulldogs
    Other Teams:
    San Antonio Spurs, West Ham
    Without seeing much of the players selected I’m happy with this draft haul.

We seemed very keen on Smith from a long way out and he should be a pretty safe pick at 7. Seems like he’s comfortable at half back and half forward as well as through the middle so I can see him playing a lot of senior football next year.

Throughout the year it looked like West would cost a top 20 pick and Khamis a pick around 40 so to get both much cheaper is handy. I know nothing about Vandermeer but we do need more players with leg speed

Happy that we’ve addressed some of our needs through the recruiting of mature agers in Cavarra and Hayes. Cavarra looks like he has a bit of goal nous and can provide some forward pressure for us, could slot in straight away. Not as convinced on Hayes but as someone who has improved drastically year on year he’s worth the gamble as the last pick in the draft.

Would’ve liked to add another high pressure small forward to the list as I think we're still short in that area but overall I’m excited on what these guys could add. I try not to get too high or low on any of these guys until I’ve seen them a few times in our colours.

_M_16_ likes this.
  6. Doggy

Doggy Norm Smith Medallist

Western Bulldogs
    Cavarra should play a fair bit of footy

7. bullish23

bullish23 Premiership Player

Western Bulldogs
    Other Teams:
    Arsenal
    Didn’t he run last in the 2km time trial?

8. Generation West

Generation West Rookie

Western Bulldogs
    One of the reasons he didn’t get nominated by any other teams was his poor endurance. Has enormous upside but may take a few pre seasons to build his tank to AFL standard.

Heard we were very close to getting pick 20 from Adelaide for a future 2nd and were going to take RCD, but Blues offered their future first rounder - an offer we weren’t prepared to put up.

Mofra, LittleG, Spectre and 4 others like this.
  9. _M_16_

_M_16_ Club Legend

Western Bulldogs
    Other Teams:
    Liv FC, LA Rams, Pitt Pen, Michigan
    Oh really? So maybe now people can stop complaining that we did nothing. No fekking way would I have wanted us to do a Carlton and piss away a high end pick for a player late in the first round. We were just wise enough not to pay overs to move up in the draft, or risk losing Smith to move down when rumors that Richmond were lurking. We dipped our toes in the water, good enough for me.

10. ExRoyboy

ExRoyboy Club Legend

Western Bulldogs
    Other Teams:
    Utah Jazz
    Probably reflects the amount of players they lost and the quality of those players. They had a number of high and mid range draft picks whereas we only had the one plus the Dahl compo and Dahl was never like Shiel so it’s understandable that they would have a stronger hand and have picked a good quality draft haul.

Given the picks we had to choose from, I thought we did pretty well and filled some definite needs, although I too was hoping we could have moved up before West was bid on and picked another player in the late teens, early 20’s, I suspect Power tried to do that but the asking price was too steep.

11. The Inbetweener

The Inbetweener Club Legend

Western Bulldogs
    Been wondering the same regarding Richmond. Even if they added their 1st rounder next year with their first pick, I couldn’t see Adelaide going for that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. VogonProsthetnic

VogonProsthetnic Premiership Player

Western Bulldogs

Our next years first for Adelaides next year first and pick 20- happily do that.

13. Mofra

Mofra Moderator

Western Bulldogs
    Other Teams:
    Footscray, The Exers
    It dosn't sound we're planning that at this stage - Picken has been training (non-contact I believe) and Webb's running laps, albeit still with his neck brace on which is a worrying sign.

14. Draft Pick

Draft Pick Club Legend

Western Bulldogs
    Other Teams:
    Western Bulldogs
    Good draft.

Can’t believe Vander fell to us, as Scrag said.

Good times.

15. Dogs_R_Us

Dogs_R_Us Brownlow Medallist

Western Bulldogs
    They said from the start he'd be wearing the neck brace until Christmas. Obviously have to be completely sure it's totally healed. We/he can only hope for the best but you'd think it would be hard to come back from, mentally if not physically.

16. RedWhite&Blue

RedWhite&Blue Club Legend

Western Bulldogs
    Zac Dawson retired a couple of years ago and Irene Chatfield is getting on a bit. She'd have to be pushing 70!

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
    TedDougChris likes this.
  17. goodcop badcop

goodcop badcop Club Legend

Western Bulldogs
  18. ExRoyboy

ExRoyboy Club Legend

Western Bulldogs
    Other Teams:
    Utah Jazz
  19. gangsta deluxe

gangsta deluxe Norm Smith Medallist

Western Bulldogs
    Other Teams:
    Rajasthan Royals!!!
  20. LittleG

LittleG Premiership Player

Western Bulldogs
  21. The Inbetweener

Western Bulldogs
    The video GWS put out on thr draft was very interesting. Sounds like 7 for 9 & 19 time get Caldwell was very much in play but they were confident we would take Smith and Adelaide would take Jones. Love to know what the Tigers were planning to offer Adelaide for pick 8 to potentially jump us, otherwise a potentially wasted opportunity for us.

Woof likes this.
  22. LittleG

Western Bulldogs
    Two first rounders. It would have been a great deal for both teams. Crows get a future first plus a late first rounder and the Tigers get a top pick this year.

23. The Inbetweener

Western Bulldogs
    Hmmm I can’t see the Crows swapping 20 & 16-18 for 8 though. I get that the Tigers would have been keen but I just couldn’t see the Crows accepting that given what they made Carlton part with for pick 19

24. LittleG

Western Bulldogs
    Crows were pissed they missed the early picks for the top SA talent. No one wanted to trade the earliest picks. So, they were targeting future picks, to try and get the top guys next year.

25. TedDougChris

TedDougChris Premium Platinum

Western Bulldogs
    Other Teams:
    Charlton Athletic
    Richmond have been recruiting and drafting well recently, highlights that Smith is a good potential prospect.... Glad we grabbed him.