List Mgmt. 2018 Draft, Free Agency & Trade Hypotheticals thread, Part II: Nothing happened!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think there is a genuine case that every interstate side should have a larger salary cap or maybe you have an extra cap purely for all clubs for interstate recruits, and for as long as they stay with your club.
I know.
Let’s call it COLA.

It might even equalise the competition giving it a more national profile.

sort of flies in the face of all the talk about Male emotions and depression to call anyone who wants to be home a sook?

I like living near my family

Now it is an over used excuse, but its a legit gripe in many cases

Agreed. And the clubs aren't guiltless in this either.

In relation to connolly and their post from before which I can't find now, comparing AFL's situation to American sports is invalid imo. American culture is just different to Australian culture when it comes to moving away from home. For university and for work, Americans have always had far more incentive to move away at the age of 18 than Australians have so it's an ingrained part of their culture far more than it is with us. That's just reality.

And comparing it to the NRL is also a little flimsy imo because they don't have a draft. In the AFL you get drafted to a team and you have to go (by and large). In the NRL without a draft, you deliberately sign with a specific team, potentially from when you were under 18 years of age. Again, just a different scenario.

You could make the argument that the AFL is entirely unique in that it is a sports comp with a drafting system which resides in a culture which doesn't generally encourage moving interstate at the age of 18/19.

Not saying it doesn't annoy me too to see so many players citing homesickness as a factor in breaking contracts, but I understand it. And I'm sure it has been overused in a lot of cases. But the clubs break contracts whenever they like too and they don't get s**t for it like players are tending to.

I would too, but I think we need to be open to the fact that some cant cope? Its a tough one, because it does seem to become a fallback option
Yeh, agreed. Personally I liked the excitement of seeing new things, being challenged, being out of the norm.

I would too, but I think we need to be open to the fact that some cant cope? Its a tough one, because it does seem to become a fallback option
And I agree.

But an AFL career is optional not obligatory and all traditional state players can get money, not AFL level sure, playing in the state comps or club comps.

The thing is to have any integrity in the system and to ensure clubs get value for their assets, meaning the players, clubs should be able to have some say of where a contracted player is to go particularly if the player wants out.

I mean I want to earn $200k as a fly in fly out miner dude AND not actually have to fly in and out of a mine but those pesky employers just don't seem to want to let me work from home digging coal in the back yard.

Hawks get Wingard,
Power get Burton, #15, #5 and Sam Mayes
Lions get #35, #6 and a future 3rd Plus some other minor pick swaps

the heck?

Trade makes no sense; Power clearly win this.

And I agree.

But an AFL career is optional not obligatory and all traditional state players can get money, not AFL level sure, playing in the state comps or club comps.

The thing is to have any integrity in the system and to ensure clubs get value for their assets, meaning the players, clubs should be able to have some say of where a contracted player is to go particularly if the player wants out.

I mean I want to earn $200k as a fly in fly out miner dude AND not actually have to fly in and out of a mine but those pesky employers just don't seem to want to let me work from home digging coal in the back yard.

I agree. As I posted earlier, I have some sympathy and understanding for homesickness as a reason to want to move clubs, but the players have too much power to force their way to a specific club, as presently constructed. For Tim Kelly to be so desperate to want to get home but refuse to consider one of the two teams in WA is ridiculous.

I think you have just returned to save us all from the Batavia shipwreck and cannibalising - praise the lord

Don’t mind what the swans have done so far, With the draft to,go. Hannebery, Scully, Wingard, Shiel, etc are like the Aust housing market, way over priced for what they will give over their contracts life. Eg Hannebery will not give $3.2m in return in the next 4 years. there’s a correction on the way, better to have the $ space when it arrives & I’m predicting that will be ‘19. (And just in time for a horse to extend their contract with a named successor shortly thereafter.)
With the trend for longer contracts for the top tier, this has to balanced with shorter ones for players who can give to senior level as soon as they walk in the door. Some of them will be 18 year olds but history says the majority of those kids are found in the 1st 20. With few picks in this zone for the swans, they’ve got to look elsewhere for value and immediate presence.

https://www.draftguru.com.au/analysis/pick-value-comparison
Why is it so hard to see grey here ?

There are some posters who think everything is black. We're s**t the game plan is s**t, our trading is s**t our drafting is s**t and then repeat it for 200 pages.

There are some who say things could be done better but that doesnt mean we are doing a lot of things right as well.

Even if you are in that strange world where there is just one criteria for success (how many flags you have won) we've done equal or better in the last 20 years than we have over any 20 years in the clubs history. We're still capable of doing well any day but like a lot of clubs we need a lot of things to go right. Why is that so hard to accept ?

The club has said that it knows it needs to score more - and no doubt they are trying to address that - but you are all craving instant success. Its weird to me. When I started following the swans we hadnt won for 50 years and didnt look like it any time soon and we got given nothing and nobody cared enough to worry about the next flag.

The soccer team I support has never won. Ever. and won't ever.

This trade period they have made some efforts to trade to improve, but its our 2020 team that they are working on at the moment and if Blakey can come in a perform at a decent level we've jagged a top ten pick for pick 13 and we will have grabbed another pick or two that are usable.

By the way if anyone hears of any $200k pa jobs I can do from home whilst watching Foxtel s**t, those renovations shows are the s**t, let me know please.

they filled the moderator gig already

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawks going for the flag next year then.. interesting

Courtesy of WWSD from the Hawks board just now

IN: Wingard, Scully, Scrimshaw, Birchall

OUT: Burton, Duryea, Schoenmakers, Nash

B: Stratton, Frawley, Hardwick

HB: Birchall, Sicily, Scrimshaw

C: Scully, Mitchell, Smith

HF: Wingard, Gunston, Burgoyne

F: Breust, Roughead, Puopolo

R: McEvoy, O'Meara, Shiels

INT: Howe, Worpel, Morrison, Henderson*

That's a pretty damn strong side. God I hate Hawthorn.

Its a chance, i mean made top 4 this year

Birchall and Scully didnt play much combined footy this year
we dont know what scrimshaw will give

Wingard is a boost

But roughead looked cooked to me, so did frawley at times

will burgoyne start to age, probably not

They can take risks coming off 3 recent flags mind you, so like the strategy

If Demons get May they are my favourites , even without Hogan

Roughead and Frawley are the weak links. Key position players who are slowing. Birchall has the durability of a Reid. Strong line up though.

Like what they are doing, but there's still plenty of flaws in that team.

Significant ? over Scrimshaw, Burgoyne, Frawley Birchall, Scully, Roughhead, Puopolo, O'Meara, while Howe Hardwick Worpel Morrison and Henderson are nothing more than honest toilers

Its not out of the question but they would need everything to go right for them to win the flag

They're optimistic slotting Scrimshaw in there. What has he shown so far?

Still need a good run with injuries if they want to achieve anything.

Hawks get Wingard,
Power get Burton, #15, #5 and Sam Mayes
Lions get #35, #6 and a future 3rd Plus some other minor pick swaps

the heck?

Trade makes no sense; Power clearly win this.

How are Port winners? They have gone backward.
No guarantee Burton ever gets to the level of Wingard. Pick 15 almost certainly wont.
Wingard even if he's been lazy was still their most important player and I won't be surprised to see him be an All australian for say, 3 of the next 5 years. Hawthorn will almost certainly be playing finals and pushing for a flag in that time.

Birchall has the durability of a Reid.

Birchall has nearly played 250 games. Only the last two years has he played less than 15 games in a season.

They are still old though

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back