List Mgmt. 2018 Draft, Free Agency & Trade Hypotheticals thread, Part II: Nothing happened!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jesus how would they go in the WC Eagles and Freo? This now laughable. Footballers crying because they have to travel.How would they go n the US in NFL and basketball. Or the European Cup? FFS it was supposed to stop being a suburban competition with the creation of the AFL. So young blokes these days woud rather live in Melbourne in winter than the Gold Coast? Pensioners in their droves had pulled up stakes and moved to SE Queensland for the last fifty years. I've never heard of one pensioner who moved to Melbourne from South East Queensland. But a 20 year old on the GC cant stand living away from Mum in Broadmeadows or in Geelong? Sounds like some smart arse is bungng it on with his missus. So they cant stand the beaches, really nice winter weather, interesting nightlife and have got get back to a wonderful winter in Melbourne. Me agent told me so love.
Think you've missed the point connolly. If it's a 50 50 call being in Victoria has its advantages for a number of reasons. It can also have its disadvantages.

A competitive player market gives the players a choice of where they want to play. A draft doesn't. NRL also doesn't have a formal trade system quite like AFL does. I'm not saying we should do away with the draft, it just provides a different set of psychological circumstances for the players to work with. Perhaps NRL players knowing that they will always get to choose precisely where they want to play leads to different outcomes than in the AFL where players are chosen by clubs.

Again, I'm not saying that all players are pure in their homesickness, what I mean is that this isn't something that's because of the mental make up of these AFL players. It's the opportunities afforded by the system. They are given these choices by the AFL system and we shouldn't be surprised that many young people would prefer to play nearer their homes and families if the system allows them to do it. If the NRL had a draft/trade system set up how we had it set up, I'm almost certain we'd see much the same homesickness requests for trade.

The way to deal with it is to negotiate with the AFLPA to take some power away from the players so they have less influence over demanding a trade to a nominated club.
The "opportunities" afforded by the system is the point. Its a rort excuse by the gang of four in Melbourne to rorrt the system. Contracts are being signed not in good faith by kids who are being urged by player agents and Melbourne clubs to break their contracts. You dont reckon a kid living in Somoa doesnt have an economic compulsion to leave his family, home and culture to play in RL as an 18 year old and that takes real ticker. And they do it because they want to be professional footballers. Of courser the wonderful culture of Melbourne is a lot stronger than Somoa and Tonga no doubt.

Certainly seems that way. I can see them being a basket case in several years if things don't go well (look forward to it). They're taking a massive risk.
Dont worry Kennett with the Polo Boy will find another way to rort the system to keep them up. The fix will be in like it is this year

None of them from England . Nice to get back to the heartland at the South Market , did you get there on the weekend king.

nah worth a look?

will have to next time

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back