List Mgmt. 2018 Draft, Free Agency & Trade Hypotheticals thread, Part II: Nothing happened!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would be great if they switched it to something like a one-day event, on a Sunday, and included the ability to trade players.

Too short imo. I do like the NBA/NFL style of draft night but 2 days is plenty.

I know it isn't possible but I'd like them to have the rookie draft day 3 if they must have a 2-3 day event.

Tell me what I posted that does not exist or is unreasonable in logic. I never said I want Harley to speak in a certain way. I never said Harley doesn't do his job well or does it any differently to any other Football Manager (now CEO). I never slammed him for anything and never suggested he and Beatson should do anything similarly.

This board is mind-numbing.

It seemed like you were trying to say something about Harley but at the same time not making it seem like you were saying it.

"Harley feels like he's feeding you slogans and business-speak. Might not be fair, because I don't think Harley is at his core a dishonest guy or that Beatson is incapable of lying (I'm certain he has)"

Don't take personal offense at me quoting your post, but when I read that, after reading some other ongoing, not too favourable comments about Harley over the last few weeks/months, I just chose your post to quote & make my own comment on the matter.

Hence why I think people are looking for problems. As you've portrayed in your reply to me, you actually didn't say anything at all in your post, but there is still a negative slant on Harley even though you are trying hard not to criticise him.

Just my point of view & you're entitled to yours & I could be off the mark on how I've been reading people's thoughts on Harley.

This is the AFL , stop comparing it to others.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

100% true, but the pick trading comes from the US in particular mainly the NBA and NFL. Follow those drafts religiously and the event is amazing. If you get a spare 3 hours, jump onto Youtube and watch one of the NBA drafts. That is how you put on an event.

Too short imo. I do like the NBA/NFL style of draft night but 2 days is plenty.

I know it isn't possible but I'd like them to have the rookie draft day 3 if they must have a 2-3 day event.
I'd go the other way. 2-3 days is just dragging it out and wasting time. Wouldn't be too much interest for the majority of Swans fans tonight, other than seeing where the bid comes. (Yes, some of us are mad draft fans and will watch everything, but many couldn't really care)

Make it one Sunday. Give the clubs 4-6 weeks before hand to do all their due diligence etc. Maybe require all players to undergo a post season medical with neutral doctors to ensure everything is above board.

The AFL would argue that 2 days gives the draft more spotlight, but turning it in to a one day draft with player-trading allowed would make it a genuine event.

I'd go the other way. 2-3 days is just dragging it out and wasting time. Wouldn't be too much interest for the majority of Swans fans tonight, other than seeing where the bid comes. (Yes, some of us are mad draft fans and will watch everything, but many couldn't really care)

Make it one Sunday. Give the clubs 4-6 weeks before hand to do all their due diligence etc. Maybe require all players to undergo a post season medical with neutral doctors to ensure everything is above board.

The AFL would argue that 2 days gives the draft more spotlight, but turning it in to a one day draft with player-trading allowed would make it a genuine event.

I don't mind it as a NBA style event, goes for about 6 hours, maybe break after the first 2 rounds. But I'd like it all over 1 weekend including the rookie draft. My one issue right now with drafting is the rookie draft barely isn't covered.

I see no problem with having the first round tonight to highlight those picks for the newspapers tomorrow etc. At least they have the remaining part of the draft and the rookie draft tomorrow. Maybe have it on the Friday/Saturday instead, but its over in less than 24 hours

The problem in the past has always been the extensive reliance on the first round and often the top ten picks. Basically after the first round is done there is just a lot of talking heads interviewing each other about which club did well. In the meantime the draft has been continuing on in the background with no-one able to see which club was doing what. My hope that by doing it this way there is some level of interest in kids drafted 20-50

I see no problem with having the first round tonight to highlight those picks for the newspapers tomorrow etc. At least they have the remaining part of the draft and the rookie draft tomorrow. Maybe have it on the Friday/Saturday instead, but its over in less than 24 hours

At least it will keep the latest cricket disaster off the lead sports items in the media.

I guess Prince Gil gets to sit in his version of the Royal Box.

Must say I feel sorry for VB the kids watching and hopung to be selected. For their sake Id prefer a delayed telecast so kids can be advised ahead if and where they have been selected.

If Blakey was to be bid on at 4, I wonder if we/Brisbane would consider this pick trade.

26 and 40 (love for them to throw in 56 but don’t know if it would happen) for 30 and 35. This would actually be (without 56) -7 points but hear me out...

If we kept all our picks:
1627.2 points (after discount)
26 = 729
33 = 563
38 = 465
This would mean we would lose 38 and gain around pick 62. Our remaining picks would be 39, 40, 62.

If we did the trade:
30 = 629
33 = 563
35 = 522
This would mean we would retain 38 and gain around pick 66. Our remaining picks would be 38, 39, 66.

For us it is basically swapping 40 for 38 and 62 for 66.

Not a huge difference but keeps us two spots ahead in the queue in the important part of the draft.

Struggling to see any other beneficial pick swaps for the same scenario (that other clubs would consider).

Last edited:
If Blakey was to be bid on at 4, I wonder if we/Brisbane would consider this pick trade.

26 and 40 (love for them to throw in 56 but don’t know if it would happen) for 30 and 35. This would actually be (without 56) -7 points but hear me out...

If we kept all our picks:
1627.2 points (after discount)
26 = 729
33 = 563
38 = 465
This would mean we would lose 38 and gain around pick 62. Our remaining picks would be 39, 40, 62.

If we did the trade:
30 = 629
33 = 563
35 = 522
This would mean we would retain 38 and gain around pick 66. Our remaining picks would be 38, 39, 66.

For us it is basically swapping 40 for 38 and 62 for 66.

Not a huge difference but keeps us two spots ahead in the queue in the important part of the draft.

Struggling to see any other beneficial pick swaps for the same scenario (that other clubs would consider).
Makes sense to me. They get the early pick - four spots earlier and the trade off being their 36 becomes 40. They win and we win. I like it Mase.

At least it will keep the latest cricket disaster off the lead sports items in the media.

I guess Prince Gil gets to sit in his version of the Royal Box.

Must say I feel sorry for VB the kids watching and hopung to be selected. For their sake Id prefer a delayed telecast so kids can be advised ahead if and where they have been selected.
What cricket disaster.

will hamill looks very similar to ling and stoddart. he probably has a better long kick than both though. it would maybe be a surprise if we took him but beats did say as long as they are talented he will pick them and they should be able to adapt. damon graeves seems more like a third tall in the vein of rampe. i like the look of tom mckenzie, speed away from the contest and good kicking skills. i am not sure what his contested ability is like. riley grundy looks like an upgrade on maibaum (more athletic) but if we drafted him it would be an admission of sorts that we don't expect maibaum to make it.

this is based on the players espy has us taking (outside of blakey).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back