Preview 2018 Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
How about clubs just keep sticking to what they know since Melbourne were fined in 2009?

1. Tanking is pointless.

2. The value of current season wins to the other 41 players and your coaching/support staff far outweighs acquiring a single pick to select a player who you might screw up on and /or might be a big disappointment.

3. If you believe in what you’re doing as a professional , you wouldn’t reduce yourselves to something as pathetic as “throwing games”

Yeah nice, and blocks just get shifted each year? So for example.

Year 1.

Block 1 is:
Adelaide
Brisbane
Carlton
Collingwood
Essendon
Fremantle
Dice # 1-6

Block 2:
Geelong
Gold Coast
GWS
Hawthorn
Melbourne
North Melbourne
Dice # 7-12

Block 3
Richmond
Port Adelaide
St Kilda
Sydney
West Coast
WB
Dice # 13-18

Then year 2.

Block 1 goes to dice# 7-12
Block 2 goes to dice # 13-18
Block 3 goes to dice# 1-6

Am I right?

Perhaps the year that it actually starts they might use the actual bottom 6 as block 1 and Work from there?
Your spot on.As for choosing the sides,Not sure what the best option is.Bottom-Up,Alphabet order.lol,Lotto selection.lol.
I just think its a great idea for a number of reasons.

How about clubs just keep sticking to what they know since Melbourne were fined in 2009?

1. Tanking is pointless.

2. The value of current season wins to the other 41 players and your coaching/support staff far outweighs acquiring a single pick to select a player who you might screw up on and /or might be a big disappointment.

3. If you believe in what you’re doing as a professional , you wouldn’t reduce yourselves to something as pathetic as “throwing games”
Tanking stopped being worth considering when priority picks stopped being handed out at the start of the first round.

No longer an issue.

There is never going to be a perfect system or a fair and equal system, Probably the best we are going to get is what we already have

Tanking has not helped Melbourne or Carlton who are probably the most notable of the teams that tanked at some stage

Free agency is the thing that needs to be looked at as most good players are gravitating towards better sides and thats not what was meant to happen

Example A : Lets just say that Richmond were into Tom Lynch and Lynch wants to come to Richmond, How is it fair that the Premiers would get potentially one of the best Fowards in the competition for free and GC would get a #2/#3 which is fair but i feel as though Richmond should have to give up a pick and shouldnt just be able to walk away and make them stronger for free - Doesnt make sense

If the player coming across is deemed to be a 1st round quality then Richmond should lose their 1st round selection and GC should still be given the #2/#3 which would not effect the rest of the teams

If the player is considered a 2nd round then Richmond should lose their 2nd rounder, Too many top teams are getting better and gaining an advantage with no cost to them in regards to draft picks and are remaining ontop. Geelong,Swna,Hawks have done well with the current system.

Has any top line player selected a bottom 4 team ?

That last one is actually a very, very good idea, IMO. Seems almost too logical and sensible to be true.

What might make it better though is if it only applies to top 8 teams.

So if say Richmond make finals and land Lynch, they lose their first rounder.

But if say Collingwood finish bottom 6 and land Lynch, it's as it has been in previous years, and they don't have to give up any picks for him.

If I was at the AFL it would take a very good reason for me to not implement that immediately. It's far too easy now for the teams in the top half of the ladder to stay there, and that goes completely against equalisation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not Really he got the deal of a life time which no other player had even dreamed of then , In todays dollars its probably closer to around $2 million a year

ok so now you are adding in the contract to the equation. you asked a question and you got an answer.

you are now trying to fudge the question with qualifiers so you get the answer you want.

ok so now you are adding in the contract to the equation. you asked a question and you got an answer.

you are now trying to fudge the question with qualifiers so you get the answer you want.
I think the answer is clear enough - when the money on offer is massive, then players will move to struggling clubs (if they’re not in love with their current club/situation).

I think the answer is clear enough - when the money on offer is massive, then players will move to struggling clubs (if they’re not in love with their current club/situation).
Thats about the guts of it, The free agency has no benefit to struggling clubs unless its absurd dollars that they can not possibly refuse in the Ablett scenario specially after they have already won a flag/Brownlow etc

Players like Lynch may be happy to move for less money to a club with a shot at a flag because its 'home' or a chance to actually have a successful career

Yes. No doubt.

Anyway, what is the purpose of this AFL academy camp in America?

what do u mean?

Astonishing endurance runner - not widely mentioned here, or on any AFL Draft media.......yet.

Could well break the 2k combine record in October.

Still has a great balance of speed and endurance....and football ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back