Preview 2018 Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If all of us on BF have heard of him then It's already to late to hide him.

Has been a fair bit of hype about Carter about for a few years in WA owing to his status as being tied to the Fremantle academy (or whatever the previous incarnation with the Kimberley lads was). Remains to quite be seen yet how he goes performing in the colts though.

Has been a fair bit of hype about Carter about for a few years in WA owing to his status as being tied to the Fremantle academy (or whatever the previous incarnation with the Kimberley lads was). Remains to quite be seen yet how he goes performing in the colts though.
The word is all positive. But that is a secret because we are hiding him.

Reality is that there are so many F/S and Academy kids now that most are going to receive late bids if any at all, imo.

The word is all positive. But that is a secret because we are hiding him.

Reality is that there are so many F/S and Academy kids now that most are going to receive late bids if any at all, imo.
I don’t believe that will be the case.

I believe most clubs will be keen on opposition teams paying full and fair value for their academy and FS kids. Otherwise some clubs will get multiple high end draftees in before having to match bids on their own top rated kids.

Familiarity breeds the rating. So much of recruiting outside of the coalface is an echo chamber of the same few opinions repeated. Names people recognise are validated and enter the cycle of repeating.

Around and around we go until the draft and the name repeated endlessly during the pre-draft period isn't selected until the 4th round - Disaster they scream, how could they not pick him? Having never seen him play they knew he was a good player.

He goes on to not play an AFL game.

Repeat, repeat

I don’t believe that will be the case.

I believe most clubs will be keen on opposition teams paying full and fair value for their academy and FS kids. Otherwise some clubs will get multiple high end draftees in before having to match bids on their own top rated kids.
Well it would be interesting to see the consensus of where bids are predicted to go and compare afterwards. But the reality is Carter is going to be watched a lot less given the certainty that he will be going to Fremantle than he would if not aligned, and in that circumstance he is far less likely to attract a bid at his actual value. In addition given the alignment there could easily be a presumed go-home factor attached to a player and that may also have an impact on possible bids.

Last I heard Scott is as good as signed
Where are North supporters 'hearing' this exactly? I'm very curious to know how they are finding out what a 17-year-old thinks

Well it would be interesting to see the consensus of where bids are predicted to go and compare afterwards. But the reality is Carter is going to be watched a lot less given the certainty that he will be going to Fremantle than he would if not aligned, and in that circumstance he is far less likely to attract a bid at his actual value. In addition given the alignment there could easily be a presumed go-home factor attached to a player and that may also have an impact on possible bids.
Totally agree. Last year teams didn’t bid unless it was a total no brainer.

Also, Carter will not rush back from an injury to get to impress in the championship.

First TAC game was on tonight Jets got home in a close one against Calder.

Lachlan Sholl best on with 27 touches and a goal he is one to keep an eye on

Curtis Taylor kicked 3

Jets seemed to have an even spread of contributors
no they didnt. they had some very good players who won them the game especially in the second quarter.
did you watch the game?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

no they didnt. they had some very good players who won them the game especially in the second quarter.
did you watch the game?
Jets will surprise this season I think.

Backline rock solid. Most of backline played together last season.

Got some better depth in the mids/wingers this season

Forward line might be weakness with depth.

Have no private school kids.

Now we're talking.

We'll get actual players being pursued.
Are you suggesting the Jets’ private schoolers weren’t “actual players”?

Rayner - no 1 pick
Fogarty - ripping it up for Geelong this afternoon.

Without them last season, the Jets barely won a game.

Are you suggesting the Jets’ private schoolers weren’t “actual players”?

Rayner - no 1 pick
Fogarty - ripping it up for Geelong this afternoon.

Without them last season, the Jets barely won a game.

Comment was poorly worded but finally we may see a public school predominance.

Comment was poorly worded but finally we may see a public school predominance.

Recent history of the Jets suggests a public school predominance isn’t good for team outcomes or individual draftability.

Perhaps 2018 will buck the trend?

Recent history of the Jets suggests a public school predominance isn’t good for team outcomes or individual draftability.

Perhaps 2018 will buck the trend?

Hopefully.

I still reckon the private types have an unfair advantage though.

Best on ground easily, as complete a midfielders game you could get

Smokey for the top 5 imo.

Similar projection to Brayshaw and Setterfield if he continues to knock up huge games like he does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back