Preview 2018 Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Same manager Lukosius & Rozee. Unsure if Rozee is worth being pick 3 though, GC should back themselves in that in two years they'll be showing signs. I understand that it is a worry with the go home factor but don't think going up there with a mate is going to help. All depends on the individual.

Gold Coast should trade pick 3 to Port for picks 5 and 10. So they take Lukosius at pick 2, then Rozee at 5 and gain another top 10 pick in the process.

I’d have to agree with the idea of Gold Coast recruiting the King Twins. The GCS have lost 2 KPP , one forward- one back......... surely a club drafts for its needs. The added benefit of having both needs met by recruiting twin Brothers and whilst not being a guarantee, it would have to help allay the fear of the Go Home Factor somewhat. The GCS also has pick #6 which would give them an enormous and highly likely opportunity to recruit a quality midfielder ...... Bailey Smith. Three players , all quality and all from the Sandringham Dragons ....... does this not make common sense and really give the Gold Coast a great nucleus of high quality that meets their needs and more likely to stay put with close familiar faces around. The alternative may involve players from the same State ...... maybe...... but they’re all from different Clubs etc.

I’d have to agree with the idea of Gold Coast recruiting the King Twins. The GCS have lost 2 KPP , one forward- one back......... surely a club drafts for its needs. The added benefit of having both needs met by recruiting twin Brothers and whilst not being a guarantee, it would have to help allay the fear of the Go Home Factor somewhat. The GCS also has pick #6 which would give them an enormous and highly likely opportunity to recruit a quality midfielder ...... Bailey Smith. Three players , all quality and all from the Sandringham Dragons ....... does this not make common sense and really give the Gold Coast a great nucleus of high quality that meets their needs and more likely to stay put with close familiar faces around. The alternative may involve players from the same State ...... maybe...... but they’re all from different Clubs etc.
Pretty attractive marketing opportunities with having a couple of 201 cm, precociously talented, identical twins arriving on the Gold Coast I would have thought. Not a minor consideration given the club's situation, and as has been said, does fit their needs to a significant extent.

Lol at port and crows fans trying to push the king twins to GC to let Lukosius and Rankine slip to them.

The two SA boys along with Walsh are a level above the rest of the top 10.

GC will likely take Lukosius at 2, and then watch port and the crows throw massive overs at them to get Rankine. My money is on 5 + 10 for 3 + 29 being the deal that gets done. Probably end up with Lukosius, Smith and B.King from 2, 5 and 6.

Pretty attractive marketing opportunities with having a couple of 201 cm, precociously talented, identical twins arriving on the Gold Coast I would have thought. Not a minor consideration given the club's situation, and as has been said, does fit their needs to a significant extent.
The idea looks great on paper but if one decides in 3-4 years time he is homesick and wants to go back to Vic you can pretty much guarantee the other one will be on his way back pretty much at the same time as well. All of sudden the 2018 draft blows up in GCS faces and they have an exodus again.

Lol at port and crows fans trying to push the king twins to GC to let Lukosius and Rankine slip to them.

GC will likely take Lukosius at 2, and then watch port and the crows throw massive overs at them to get Rankine. My money is on 5 + 10 for 3 + 29 being the deal that gets done. Probably end up with Lukosius, Smith and B.King from 2, 5 and 6.
No problem, I'm sure the Adelaide clubs are happy to play the "long" game rather than sell the "farm".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No problem, I'm sure the Adelaide clubs are happy to play the "long" game rather than sell the "farm".

I don’t see Port “selling the farm” ..... it makes sense for GCS to take the King Twins, it makes sense for the Saints to take Lukosius....... Port would take either Rankine or Rozee ....... it then makes sense for GCS to then take Smith .......... Port will keep 10 and 15 as the quality of players available at those picks are high quality.

Probably already said it in this thread but if I was GC I’d trade 6 + 24 + 29 for 4 + 36 and lock the draft up - take Lukosius, Smith and Rozee for balance. If they decide to trade out it should only be pick 6.

Probably already said it in this thread but if I was GC I’d trade 6 + 24 + 29 for 4 + 36 and lock the draft up - take Lukosius, Smith and Rozee for balance. If they decide to trade out it should only be pick 6.
Callum Twomey in his podcast indirectly mention Bailey Smith want to stay at Melbourne and predicted Lukosius, Rankine and pick 6 Caldwell/Rozee for GC .

I don’t see Port “selling the farm” ..... it makes sense for GCS to take the King Twins, it makes sense for the Saints to take Lukosius....... Port would take either Rankine or Rozee ....... it then makes sense for GCS to then take Smith .......... Port will keep 10 and 15 as the quality of players available at those picks are high quality.
It doesn't make sense for GC to take the King twins. They aren't as good as Lukosius and Rankine, and they have the exact same risk of going back to their home state.

You could almost argue moreso, because if one decides to leave you could almost bank on the other one following.

Port and Adelaide have made it obvious they are making moves for the top end SA talent. If that's Rozee, then i reckon port will grab him at 5, if they want Luko or Rankine they'll have to pay up to move up.

They can try, but there haven't been too many notable SA draftees come back home after their rookie contracts are done.

To be honest both teams should be looking at fixing the retention of their own players after McGovern, Polec and Wingard left before trying to play the long game with GC.

Agree but Jenkins , Betts , Taylor Walker , Tom Lynch are not getting any younger . You want Young talent now to learn from them not wait another 2-3 years .

It doesn't make sense for GC to take the King twins. They aren't as good as Lukosius and Rankine, and they have the exact same risk of going back to their home state.

You could almost argue moreso, because if one decides to leave you could almost bank on the other one following.

Port and Adelaide have made it obvious they are making moves for the top end SA talent. If that's Rozee, then i reckon port will grab him at 5, if they want Luko or Rankine they'll have to pay up to move up.

They can try, but there haven't been too many notable SA draftees come back home after their rookie contracts are done.

To be honest both teams should be looking at fixing the retention of their own players after McGovern, Polec and Wingard left before trying to play the long game with GC.
Port have had a brilliant history of retaining players including during really tough times. We are not paying overs for players......some Clubs have to..... yet we’ve been able to draw players to our club. Ryder, Lycett, Rockliff, Motlop, Dixon and others have chosen Port in the last few years and we still have the in the top couple for Salary Cap space.
My point is in regards to what teams NEED to draft...... ie GCS need a Key Defender and a Key Forward first and foremost. The previous 2 drafts they’ve taken midfield types with their early picks and they’ve just lost their full back and key power forward.
Port on the other hand highly likely to look for midfielders and outside runners.

Port have had a brilliant history of retaining players including during really tough times. We are not paying overs for players......some Clubs have to..... yet we’ve been able to draw players to our club. Ryder, Lycett, Rockliff, Motlop, Dixon and others have chosen Port in the last few years and we still have the in the top couple for Salary Cap space.
My point is in regards to what teams NEED to draft...... ie GCS need a Key Defender and a Key Forward first and foremost. The previous 2 drafts they’ve taken midfield types with their early picks and they’ve just lost their full back and key power forward.
Port on the other hand highly likely to look for midfielders and outside runners.
You just lost 2 of your top 10 players, I'd call that a retention issue. Plus of all the names listed I'd say you're overpaying for the output of all except Ryder and Lycett (who hasn't played a game for you yet).

Anyways, back to GC. They need as much talent as they can get, whether it be talls or mids. If they stick to 2, 3 and 6, they likely walk away with Luko, Rankine and B. King. There's your key fwd, key back and a supremely talented mid/fwd as well.

Pretty strong rumours Bailey Smith doesn’t/won’t go to Gold Coast.

Callum Twomey in his podcast indirectly mention Bailey Smith want to stay at Melbourne and predicted Lukosius, Rankine and pick 6 Caldwell/Rozee for GC .
Yup, if you listen to Twomey for the last three weeks, he’s hinting at Smith staying in Melbourne.

I mentioned this on the Lions board on Thursday, and one of the replies was that the Lions recruiters have said the same.

Development is NOT a problem at the Crows, never has been, however we can't say that for all clubs
So you want to develop them now or wait another two years from other club ?
If your pick 8 ,13,16 turn out to be good players ( equal to Rankine , Lukosius) can always do a deal in two years time for Rankine and Lukosius .

Last edited:
Yup, if you listen to Twomey for the last three weeks, he’s hinting at Smith staying in Melbourne.

I mentioned this on the Lions board on Thursday, and one of the replies was that the Lions recruiters have said the same.
Agree , also the way he go about go home factor ( Rankine) kind of change tune this podcast compare to previous week .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back