Preview 2018 Draft General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The race for Rankine is on

Lions vs north, the runner up prize in Sam Walsh is still good though if you want a mid

Think we would just take best available so Rankine or Lukosius

From what I've read it seems unlikely Rankine and Lukosius will end up like Brander and Worpel. I think also that regardless of needs Lukosius may be too good to pass on. King brothers not so much

The race for Rankine is on

Lions vs north, the runner up prize in Sam Walsh is still good though if you want a mid

Think we would just take best available so Rankine or Lukosius

What if none of those 3 had a decent season and several other players pushed past them over the next 11 months?

Is that not possible? Would you still take them if they had a crap year as an 18 year old?

Is that not possible? Would you still take them if they had a crap year as an 18 year old?

I guess it would depend on what the other players in the pool produced as an 18y.o.

SPS got drafted at 6 on the back of his 17y.o year, he was poor in his 18y.o year.

Mills was bid on at pick 3 despite barely playing as an 18y.o.

GC traded their 4th pick to obtain the 1st pick in the "mini-draft" to take 17y.o O'Meara.

I guess it would depend on what the other players in the pool produced as an 18y.o.

SPS got drafted at 6 on the back of his 17y.o year, he was poor in his 18y.o year.

GC traded their 4th pick to obtain the 1st pick in the "mini-draft" to take 17y.o O'Meara.
The asterix on SPS is that his 18th year was marred by a persistent hamstring niggle that hampered his ability to perform, not poor form.

but yeh, it's one thing if Rankine and the other highly rated 17y.o dont play much next yr due to injury vs playing and not performing.

What's your genuine opinion of Ben Silvagni? I haven't seen him at all. All i know are that some have said he is fantastic(probably biased) and some have said he looks a mile off it(probably biased).

I heard he beat Clavarino, kicking 4 on him in a school match. Not a bad effort. Then i heard he largely played in defence after that.

Interested in your, or others, opinions.

I dare say Ben will develop in a similar fashion to Jack. SOS won't play him much and he will show some signs but ultimately he will be picked later in the draft. I feel like Jack was probably 25-40 on talent and we picked him at around 55 from memory. Ben will probably be the same.

Who knows though.

I dare say Ben will develop in a similar fashion to Jack. SOS won't play him much and he will show some signs but ultimately he will be picked later in the draft. I feel like Jack was probably 25-40 on talent and we picked him at around 55 from memory. Ben will probably be the same.

Who knows though.

Given Luke and Matt Ball coach Xavier College and Leigh Clarke coaches Oakleigh, I don’t think it’s SOS’s call as to when and how much Ben plays next year.

Ditto if he ended up at Carlton the year after.

Who knows though.
Clubs usually allow kids to get through to their fathers club on the cheap and dont bid until later

I mentioned the same with Naish this year and it was expected he would be a late 1st to early 2nd but went 15 spots later

Unless they are a Daniher type talent then the bid comes around about where their clubs 1st rounder is

Given Luke and Matt Ball coach Xavier College and Leigh Clarke coaches Oakleigh, I don’t think it’s SOS’s call as to when and how much Ben plays next year.

Ditto if he ended up at Carlton the year after.

Agreed, but Ben could always acquire an injury that would prevent him from playing.

Jack Lukosius - At the moment, he looks like one of the best forwards in a draft year for a long time. He would have gone before ANY player in this years draft if he was able to be recruited.

Izak Rankine - He is one of the most dynamic midfield/forwards I've seen in a while. Like Lukosius would have been selected ahead of ANY player in this years draft if he was able to be recruited.

Those two players alone are enough to excite people into the prospects of the 2018 draft crop. I would be very shocked if those two players fall outside of the top 5 come draft day. It is not often that you get under aged players that are considered the best players, but these two were outstanding.

The asterix on SPS is that his 18th year was marred by a persistent hamstring niggle that hampered his ability to perform, not poor form.

Wouldn't say SPS was poor in his draft year, more that he didn't dominate the championships as much as expected given the freakish talent he exhibited a year earlier. Made the transition that year to senior footy with Claremont, still played well and looked the part but obviously numbers going to suffer a bit in doing so. Not quite sure if the hamstring caused his average form at the carnival but am sure Carlton aren't complaining now.

Agreed, but Ben could always acquire an injury that would prevent him from playing.

Yeah, but it shouldn’t be within the sphere of influence for an AFL club’s head of recruitment (also the father of the son) to dictate to that player whether he makes himself available for APS or TAC football.

It’s effectively hiding a potential draftee and thus tampering with the draft.

That would also present a clear conflict of interest which is frowned upon by AFL Victoria.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How does Lukosius rate compared to previous highly drafted KPF's?

-Schace
-McCartin
-Boyd
-Daniher
-T.Lynch
-Jeremy Cameron

etc etc

I recall pre-draft Tom Boyd was supposed to be the best KPF in a generation

How does Lukosius rate compared to previous highly drafted KPF's?

-Schace
-McCartin
-Boyd
-Daniher
-T.Lynch
-Jeremy Cameron

etc etc

I recall pre-draft Tom Boyd was supposed to be the best KPF in a generation

Better than all. Tom Boyd dominated his age group, Lukosius is dominating SANFL seniors.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Better than all. Tom Boyd dominated his age group, Lukosius is dominating SANFL seniors.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

There was also around 20Kg difference, maybe 15 kgs by the time Lukosious gets drafted

The one query I have with Lukosious is the unknown of whether he can put on size. Not saying I don't think he can but that is an unknown. His talent isn't.

I believe he has played 1 senior SANFL game. But granted it was the GF and he did dominate it.

Lukosius played 6 games of SANFL u18s in 2017. He was also selected for the SANFL senior Preliminary Final, and played well, kicking 4.

So he has played only one game of senior SANFL. A bit of a stretch to say “he is dominating” at that level just yet.

After all Martin McGrath kicked 5 on debut for the Tigers against the Bulldogs in round 17 of 2003 didn’t he?

Last edited:
yeh, i meant PF, not GF.

but yeh, that was my point. he's played 1 game at SANFL seniors.

There was also around 20Kg difference, maybe 15 kgs by the time Lukosious gets drafted

The one query I have with Lukosious is the unknown of whether he can put on size. Not saying I don't think he can but that is an unknown. His talent isn't.
Given the size of his father he will fill out shortly.

I think its odd how Jack Bytel is going under the radar, I'd say he's on par with Walsh at this stage
I’d say he’d be in top 20 conversations, a shade off Walsh ATM but there’s plenty of footy between now and the last week of November isn’t there?

I think its odd how Jack Bytel is going under the radar, I'd say he's on par with Walsh at this stage
Not sure how you think he is flying under the radar. All Australian, toured overseas, selected in the Vic Metro team as a bottom ager and played one or two games. Some have already ranked him in the top five for next years draft. I expect he will be named captain of the Cannons this year as he was in the leadership group last year.

Not sure how you think he is flying under the radar. All Australian, toured overseas, selected in the Vic Metro team as a bottom ager and played one or two games. Some have already ranked him in the top five for next years draft. I expect he will be named captain of the Cannons this year as he was in the leadership group last year.
I'm aware of his accomplishments, I was stating that he's been flying under the radar as everyone seems to speak about Walsh, King Twins, Rankine, Hill, Rozee and Lukosious

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back