Welcome 2018 draft pick 52: Welcome to Hawthorn Jacob Koschitzke

Remove this Banner Ad

cryptor

Premium Gold
May 11, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Don't get me wrong, I reckon he'll be a great player. He's definitely athletic enough.
That's the view that I took away from your post. I was more just pointing out to anyone who might consider him a slower version of Frawley that the other attributes you mentioned makes him a similar sort of defender to Lake. One that doesn't rely on athletic ability to be a gun.

tige19

Brownlow Medallist
Suspended
Feb 13, 2003
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I'd say we should be excited about every kid coming through unless they give us enough reason not to be.

From my viewing, Kosi has struggled with injury a bit this year which is probably due to being conservative with injury troubles from last year. That being said, he's a bloke I expect to make a very reliable AFL level defender.

He plays a fair bit like Frawley, in that he's really effective at using his body in spoiling - has a fair bit less toe than Frawley at his peak, but is a better read of the ball and mark and is a bit more composed.
Good size, strong body and reads the play well.. perfect player to man the big lumps like Hawkins/Lynch and Brown, guys that aren’t elite quick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brant

Premium Platinum
Sep 6, 2009
Padbury; WA
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
How has Koschitzke developed & played this year?

Anyone keen to give a summary or update to those of us that haven't seen him play?

I saw that he kicked a goal for BHH this weekend. Has he played predominantly KPD or swung between KPD/KPF etc.?

Thanks in advance for feedback!

VandoHawk

Club Legend
Oct 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Anyone keen to give a summary or update to those of us that haven't seen him play?

I saw that he kicked a goal for BHH this weekend. Has he played predominantly KPD or swung between KPD/KPF etc.?

Kosi has played predominately KPD this year. His season has been significantly interrupted by concussion and niggling injuries. He was also in rehab during preseason so he’s effectively got no fitness base to work with.

It’s quality over quantity with Kosi at the moment. He’s a great reader of the play and a great mark but due to his lack of fitness struggled with the pace of the game. This meant that he would have games where he only had 3-4 disposals yet would still look decent because he’s rarely beaten 1v1. Brand/Kosi were actually pretty good as our key pillars when on the park.

He’s also seen success as a swingman, being rolled forward (usually in the last quarter) and kicking 1-2 goals while remaining involved. His ability to do this will no doubt endear him to the Selection committee.

I don’t think we’ll see him in 2020 without an injury crisis (knock wood) but that judgment can only be made after a full preseason. He has plenty of attributes you want in a key defender and is flexible, but has no fitness base and goes missing for long periods. I’d say he’s showing promise as an eventual successor to Frawley but has a long way to go.

MrPremiership

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 18, 2013
AFL Club
Hawthorn

A few issues with Injuries such as concussion and niggling back/hammy....

Played ok at FB but is quite a few years away.

Top Bottom