Welcome 2018 draft pick 52: Welcome to Hawthorn Jacob Koschitzke

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 22, 2007
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Give him #24

images (7).jpeg

Love the video of him being drafted, the reaction.

Looks a massive unit, 196cm and 95kg.....surely a chance to play in 2019.
If not geez Box Hill is going to have a strong backline.

Kosi, Mirra, Mohr, Brand, O'Brien all capable of playing on talls.

Reckon that might see him or others pushing forward.

Kosi, Mirra, Brand, O'Brien all capable of playing on talls.

That's an interesting prospect in itself - seeing Mohr or Brand pushing forward.

Hawks1994

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 22, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, Arizona Cardinals
He's the right sort of build to be stepping straight into a VFL senior team. Looks to have some decent agility for a tall guy, which is really encouraging

Looking forward to seeing his progress over the coming years

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
Love this pick. Essenscum recruiters fist pumping when we didn’t match their bid yet they didn’t think to consider - Ahhh why didn’t Hawthorn match the bid? Because money ball. Otherwise known as you get what you need at the right price. This is yet another example of Hawthorn’s Svengali like maneuvering. Look over here! Then slight of hand - we go and get the player we are really after. Welcome to the Hawks JK. You will be a star.

Lol you think this is really what happened? All that time put into Mosquito was just us playing the long game to lure in Essendon, and draft Kozzie.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2014
Wherever I leave my hat
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Love this pick. Essenscum recruiters fist pumping when we didn’t match their bid yet they didn’t think to consider - Ahhh why didn’t Hawthorn match the bid? Because money ball. Otherwise known as you get what you need at the right price. This is yet another example of Hawthorn’s Svengali like maneuvering. Look over here! Then slight of hand - we go and get the player we are really after. Welcome to the Hawks JK. You will be a star.
Bruno, Utter nonsense: other than Essendon taking a player that the Hawks recruiters, and just about every AFL drafting commentator, saying that there were players of higher potential available at Pick 38.
I don’t know Mozzie but everything I read and see in videos about him has me wanting him to suceed: even at Essendon. Some people transcend partisan footy lines and I think Mozzie is one.
I’ll be barracking for the Hawks and Mozzie, and I’ll not be the only one.

Nov 5, 2014
Wherever I leave my hat
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Kosi, Mirra, Mohr, Brand, O'Brien all capable of playing on talls.

Kosie as a developing back and Mohr as a forward: damn!
I have long liked Mohr as a player... It confounded me that he was available to be taken as a mature age player by GWS. Where the frigg were the talent scouts for 17 other clubs.

The Hawks get him late in his career: a massive, deceptively fast, marking behemoth.
The backline is his stock in trade. But would he be better in the forward line?

I’d like to see an opposition player drop into the hole when Mohr is charging out to take the mark.

Bruno Oresar

McDonalds voucher winner
Nov 9, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Lol you think this is really what happened? All that time put into Mosquito was just us playing the long game to lure in Essendon, and draft Kozzie.

Why are people so unkind.... Dear friend. I was suggesting a broad approach - not just with Mosquito but with almost all of our publicly admitted targets. Because of our past successes in recruiting other clubs come for our overtly intended targets like flies to poo. We are only too happy to pass on players whose prices rise beyond the reasonable. The broader game leaves the high price payer (in this case Essenscum) with a quick sugar hit but with ignorance that they have been duped into the wrong strategy....and yes this is what Hawthorn does. No need to question it with sarcasm and incredulity. Hawthorn plays moneyball. Part of that strategy is passing on the over priced player and luring in the competition to pay that exorbitant price thinking they have gotten a good deal (with fist pumps). Yes we would have drafted mosquito as a rookie or similar but not waisted high draft picks. Simples

Why are people so unkind.... Dear friend. I was suggesting a broad approach - not just with Mosquito but with almost all of our publicly admitted targets. Because of our past successes in recruiting other clubs come for our overtly intended targets like flies to poo. We are only too happy to pass on players whose prices rise beyond the reasonable. The broader game leaves the high price payer (in this case Essenscum) with a quick sugar hit but with ignorance that they have been duped into the wrong strategy....and yes this is what Hawthorn does. No need to question it with sarcasm and incredulity. Hawthorn plays moneyball. Part of that strategy is passing on the over priced player and luring in the competition to pay that exorbitant price thinking they have gotten a good deal (with fist pumps). Yes we would have drafted mosquito as a rookie or similar but not waisted high draft picks. Simples
I don't disagree with you as much as some others, but did it ever occur to you that perhaps essendon also played money ball? They had a need for a developing small forward, so went for Mozzie, and were pleased that we didn't match (in the same way we waited until GWS couldn't match). All clubs have different needs, hence there is never a single agreed phantom draft. It's all about what the clubs think they need.

Billyc

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We simply did not have the need to reach for a small forward with our first pick. We have two of the best small forwards in the league in Wingard and Breust, as well as Puopolo, Moore, Hanrahan, Minchington and Nash as small (or defending in Nash's case) forwards. It is probably the one position on the list we have no additional need for. I am sure we'd have taken Mosquito on the rookie list but using our only meaningful pick on him - especially when he was not rated that highly by anyone i'd read from - wouldn't have been good list management. Taking a tall defender on the other hand was.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We nominated Mozzie because we were hoping to pick him up as a cat B rookie, not because we were hoping Bombers would be tricked into taking him at pick 38

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
We nominated Mozzie because we were hoping to pick him up as a cat B rookie, not because we were hoping Bombers would be tricked into taking him at pick 38

Agreed. We valued him less than they did so they used a pick we didn't want to match. Once we grabbed Minchington, it seemed strange, that with Bruest, Puopolo, Moore, Wings, Impey, Hanrahan, etc, that we would use our first pick in the draft on another small forward...

Expect we grabbed Minchington knowing that we were going to miss out on Mossie.

Expect we grabbed Minchington knowing that we were going to miss out on Mossie.
I don't think we did that. Mozzie wasn't likely to play senior footy next year for us either way.

A Diakos

Club Legend
Apr 17, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I see posters repeatedly dribbling "we went for needs"...we need a key position on the list more so than a small forward....This is rubbish, see the Mckenzie video, we go for what we deem to be the Best footballer left at the Pick we have ....and so we should....if we think Mosquito is a better player than Kostzichke, but chose the latter because of "needs" than we are negligent and will pay the Price..........As per clubs advice, we draft according to order of best players as we view them

Can people stop comparing to Mozzie, we clearly rated him well below what he was taken at and we picked up a player who we think is going to be a long servant of the club. We could have matched and didn't which is telling as to how we rated the young man in the draft pool. Bombers went for a need whilst we went for the best possible option available. We have stated we didn't go for a need but I reckon we weighted the positions differently to determine the player we selected.

I'm happy with our selection, Jacob looks like a really good marking player, can go both ends which we know Clarko loves and is already well built which will definitely help him in pushing towards an AFL debut early on in his career. Best of luck Kosi!

StillAtLarge

Norm Smith Medallist
May 12, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I quite liked it when justin koschitzke fainted next to david schwarz. I've felt my central nervous system shutting down on more than one occasion listening to that moron's commentary

I thought we nominated him so that I didn’t have to change my username

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers
I see posters repeatedly dribbling "we went for needs"...we need a key position on the list more so than a small forward....This is rubbish, see the Mckenzie video, we go for what we deem to be the Best footballer left at the Pick we have ....and so we should....if we think Mosquito is a better player than Kostzichke, but chose the latter because of "needs" than we are negligent and will pay the Price..........As per clubs advice, we draft according to order of best players as we view them

Yeah nah... if the best footballer was a kid ruckman, do you believe what you are saying? A lot more than talent goes into the decision. You believe the positions of the team sheets too when they come out on Thursdays???

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Roughie

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2005
Above The Clouds Where The Sounds Are Original
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawthorn
I haven’t watched much of the championships this year or Have followed the tac cup this season unlike years past. So I won’t get excited over a highlight reel or pretend to know who he is. I wish the lad luck like all hawk draftees but can the highlight reel analysing stop haha...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back