Welcome 2018 draft pick 52: Welcome to Hawthorn Jacob Koschitzke

Remove this Banner Ad

Im told the Hawks and the Pies both had Kos rated inside the top 15 in this draft. Pies had Quaynor and then Kelly that were linked to them. We took him cause we rated him as the second best defender in the draft behind Ben King. Good value pick by a team that has gotten the late picks correct lately (Sicily, Worpel, Hardwick, Morrison). Hopefully this is another

Im told the Hawks and the Pies both had Kos rated inside the top 15 in this draft. Pies had Quaynor and then Kelly that were linked to them. We took him cause we rated him as the second best defender in the draft behind Ben King. Good value pick by a team that has gotten the late picks correct lately (Sicily, Worpel, Hardwick, Morrison). Hopefully this is another
See these statements have always perplexed me.
Told by whom?
Your source would be much appreciated here.

See these statements have always perplexed me.
Told by whom?
Your source would be much appreciated here.

See, this has always perplexed me.
Who are you to question or require the bona fides of Chachi Chioli's source?:p
If we did that for every dropped piece of insider information we wouldn't know who was telling the truth and who was lying anyway....
Just take it all as good goss and enjoy the site.:thumbsu:

If this is true then it explains why we passed on mozzie.

Top 15 seems a stretch but I rate the pies LMT so if they had him high too that is good news.

Knightmare who does the phantom drafts says this

Koschitzke solid get mid draft - a possibly but not certainly developable. Only Lukosius/B.King/Gown if used back I speculate would be better. He doesn't stand out particularly v those taken in recent years. Petty (37)/Clavarino (35) last year were better. Picked later than expected, but around where he should have gone for mine.

Knightmare rated Petty top 20 last year & Clavarino 30ish. I wonder where we had Gown on our 'talent order'

Top 15 seems a stretch but I rate the pies LMT so if they had him high too that is good news.

Koschitzke solid get mid draft - a possibly but not certainly developable. Only Lukosius/B.King/Gown if used back I speculate would be better. He doesn't stand out particularly v those taken in recent years. Petty (37)/Clavarino (35) last year were better. Picked later than expected, but around where he should have gone for mine.

Knightmare rated Petty top 20 last year & Clavarino 30ish. I wonder where we had Gown on our 'talent order'

Knightmare doesn't have a great late round record.

I'd take our team of paid professionals over a BigFooty poster with an ESPN column.

Bit of a risk passing on Moz and hoping Kos would still be there 18 picks later.

I suspect it was more so that we didn't rate Moz that high and were pleasantly suprised when Kos was still on the board.
Sure, what I’m saying is that if we saw a player we rented very highly, and others we rated more highly than mozzie, there is a big incentive to pass and hold out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

See, this has always perplexed me.
Who are you to question or require the bona fides of Chachi Chioli's source?:p
If we did that for every dropped piece of insider information we wouldn't know who was telling the truth and who was lying anyway....
Just take it all as good goss and enjoy the site.:thumbsu:

Yep. I’m quite happy with the post regardless of the source. :)

If the barista who makes Graeme Wright’s coffee thinks this kid should have gone in top 15, then I’ll run with that for a few seasons.

Wonder how he lasted to pick 52...

Hawthorn and Sydney have fantastic rookie and late round drafting chops, we always get these players who outperform and people wonder "How did they last?" - I think the answer is that we just identify talent better than other clubs, and go for the best football prospect not necessarily the best athlete.

Hawthorn and Sydney have fantastic rookie and late round drafting chops, we always get these players who outperform and people wonder "How did they last?" - I think the answer is that we just identify talent better than other clubs, and go for the best football prospect not necessarily the best athlete.

I think it is more that we can develope a player better. Sure we can identify they can be developed or have a special talent but it is what happens when they get to the club that makes them better players.

Sure, what I’m saying is that if we saw a player we rented very highly, and others we rated more highly than mozzie, there is a big incentive to pass and hold out.

It's pretty clear that we rated him as a rookie at best. In media the club is trying to be supportive to him which is great, but I see no evidence whatsoever that we would have used a draft pick on him.

These draft predictors watch players live and via video, have access to stats etc, but they don't interview players like the clubs do. IMHO the clubs doing better in draft selections are the ones that ask the best questions, questions that relate to likelihood of football success. That's why I take all of these draft predictors as an assessment of athletic/football ability, but not fitness for an AFL job. I've got a contact inside one AFL club who doesn't have a great draft record and the questions they ask, at best, are humerous. At worst it is sad that they still haven't figured out that the interviews are not for building rapport or being funny, they are to figure out whether this guy is going to make it in your club's environment. If not, they can be the best player in the draft and you still shouldn't draft them. The fact that we rated Koschitzke tells me that we think he'll thrive in our environment more so than other players available...

These draft predictors watch players live and via video, have access to stats etc, but they don't interview players like the clubs do. IMHO the clubs doing better in draft selections are the ones that ask the best questions, questions that relate to likelihood of football success. That's why I take all of these draft predictors as an assessment of athletic/football ability, but not fitness for an AFL job. I've got a contact inside one AFL club who doesn't have a great draft record and the questions they ask, at best, are humerous. At worst it is sad that they still haven't figured out that the interviews are not for building rapport or being funny, they are to figure out whether this guy is going to make it in your club's environment. If not, they can be the best player in the draft and you still shouldn't draft them. The fact that we rated Koschitzke tells me that we think he'll thrive in our environment more so than other players available...
I'd be hoping the questions would relate to finding out about their character, and what football means to them. Also, if they're resilient and keen to work hard to achieve their goals

Wonder how he lasted to pick 52...

The same was said about Jordan Lisle... picked by us at number 50 in 2008 after being selected in the AA U18 team...

He seems to mark the ball ok... maybe a lack of speed, endurance, agility, decision-making, etc...

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back