Welcome 2018 draft pick 52: Welcome to Hawthorn Jacob Koschitzke

I can understand how you could teach body positioning and protecting the drop zone which would flow through in player development/experience. but does anyone know how feasible it is to teach or improve a players ability to read the ball flight, reaction times to read the kick off the boot etc.? is this something that is largely captured in childhood experiences and hence a key trait to identify in drafting?

I can understand how you could teach body positioning and protecting the drop zone which would flow through in player development/experience. but does anyone know how feasible it is to teach or improve a players ability to read the ball flight, reaction times to read the kick off the boot etc.? is this something that is largely captured in childhood experiences and hence a key trait to identify in drafting?
It would depend on how intuitive and adaptable the player is. For most it would be learnt at a young age, there would be others—like a Sam Mitchell type for example, who are wired to continue to develop himself. This is basically the natural football vs athlete argument.

toomanysquibs

Premiership Player
Nov 25, 2006
Hawthorn
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Hawks
For most it would be learnt at a young age, there would be others—like a Sam Mitchell type for example, who are wired to continue to develop himself. This is basically the natural football vs athlete argument.

It doesn't just end with the football smarts being developed, it's physical ability too. Conditioning experts can re-train your body to do things more fluently – and turn you into something pretty incredible, athletically speaking.

If you are wired to self improve in both directions, you can become borderline great. If you were athletically gifted and sports smart already, you will succeed with that mindset.

Athletes playing football are generally people who get by on raw physical talent that is developed, without being expanded upon.

Hard to learn how to continue to develop at anything, if you never needed to in the first place (because your athletic gifts let you get by leading into up AFL career).

In the AFL those guys seem to hit a wall, and not know what to do about it.

B&GBlood

Premiership Player
Mar 19, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It doesn't just end with the football smarts being developed, it's physical ability too. Conditioning experts can re-train your body to do things more fluently – and turn you into something pretty incredible, athletically speaking.

If you are wired to self improve in both directions, you can become borderline great. If you were athletically gifted and sports smart already, you will succeed with that mindset.

Athletes playing football are generally people who get by on raw physical talent that is developed, without being expanded upon.

Hard to learn how to continue to develop at anything, if you never needed to in the first place (because your athletic gifts let you get by leading into up AFL career).

In the AFL those guys seem to hit a wall, and not know what to do about it.

If they are in the right environment and are prepared to work they will improve. I give you one L. Hodge. A more natural footabller you will struggle to find but he was not prepared for what was required to succeed at the top level when he started. Luckily Clarko put a rocket up him and we had experts to show him what he needed to do to make the grade.

Apr 1, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Everton FC
Never seen anyone more comfortable under the high ball than Brizer! Get him to the club to teach kosi and brand how to read the high ball and position yourself by using your thighs and hips to protect the drop zone of the ball. Brilliant footballer was the Brizer. Brilliant!
It was such a foreign but beautiful feeling going from 2012 to 2013 in terms of how I felt about opposition kicking into our defensive 50.

Brian came along and all of a sudden I felt so comfortable with the high balls in.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It was such a foreign but beautiful feeling going from 2012 to 2013 in terms of how I felt about opposition kicking into our defensive 50.

Brian came along and all of a sudden I felt so comfortable with the high balls in.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

This.

And I looked forward to playing Tom Hawkins.

It would depend on how intuitive and adaptable the player is. For most it would be learnt at a young age, there would be others—like a Sam Mitchell type for example, who are wired to continue to develop himself. This is basically the natural football vs athlete argument.
yes and take lake as an example, a natural footballer very much more than an athlete. his ability to read the flight of the ball was exceptional - did that actually develop much over his afl career? much like the other notable high flyers and their marking ability, they all had it from the start (or it was at least noticeable). conversely I can't think of a player that wasn't good in the air so to speak and developed that trait to become elite over the course of their career - maybe someone else can?
so I guess my point is, it must be a trait that is identified in a youngster if you are seeking that type of player (i.e. Kosi).

Simon Crawshay

Premiership Player
Jun 4, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
yes and take lake as an example, a natural footballer very much more than an athlete. his ability to read the flight of the ball was exceptional - did that actually develop much over his afl career? much like the other notable high flyers and their marking ability, they all had it from the start (or it was at least noticeable). conversely I can't think of a player that wasn't good in the air so to speak and developed that trait to become elite over the course of their career - maybe someone else can?
so I guess my point is, it must be a trait that is identified in a youngster if you are seeking that type of player (i.e. Kosi).
Couldn't agree more. Out of all of the football skills I believe contested marking is the one you are born with and can't really learn to any great extent. James Sicily is another great mark who just seems to read the ball better of the boot better than anyone around him and has the other trait of all good marks "sticky Hands" as apposed to Tim O Briens hard as concrete hands.

Chioli

Team Captain
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Maybe I'm tired but that doesn't quite add up, does it not?

We were the very last club to enter the National Draft (pick 52).. every other club had an opportunity to take him, at least twice, before our pick, right?

edit: Beandip beat me to it.

Its pretty simple really. Take three clubs Collingwood, St kilda and Carlton. Pies had access to Quaynor as an NGA and matched pick 8. They were also committed to Kelly so they didn't have a live pick once they were committed to those two players.

Carlton took Stocker and Walsh as they have a loaded up on talls of late and their needs are now to build their midfield.

The Saints got Max King at 4 and then focused on speed as they saw it as their biggest weakness.

Different clubs have different needs. The Hawks wanted Mosquito but thought he was a rookie. Other clubs laughed at the Bombers using 38 on him. He has potential and he seems a great kid but 38 was too high for some. The Bombers think he was worth it so are no doubt happy

kazzooka

Premiership Player
May 20, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Never seen anyone more comfortable under the high ball than Brizer! Get him to the club to teach kosi and brand how to read the high ball and position yourself by using your thighs and hips to protect the drop zone of the ball. Brilliant footballer was the Brizer. Brilliant!
Not sure Lake is a very good teacher though. I think he just reads the ball in flight better than more. Sicily is similar.

You see players run under the ball, or stop short of the fall while they are perfectly positioned.

Hawks1994

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 22, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal, Arizona Cardinals

In theory any sort of skill or movement in sport is able to be taught effectively, provided the coaching/tuition is carried out in the correct manner. Also, as someone else pointed out, alot of it hinges on weather the player is willing to take on and store this new information

I, for one, am quite excited to watch the development of Kosi. Most taller guys take a few years to fully grow into their frame but he looks more match ready then that average

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
Can somebody on here please provide an update on Koschitzke. He’s missed the last three VFL games and isn’t listed on the clubs injury list.

he has been struggling with injury all year, im sure he is injured, maybe they keep thinking they can get him fit and arent listing him on the injury list? or maybe theres a chance he is out for team balance seeing as he isnt 100% fit this season? who knows?

Oct 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He was looking really comfortable at the level before his concussion. Rarely got beaten. We’ve seen with guys like McCartin/Fitzpatrick that you have to be ultra conservative. While no doubt disappointing for the young lad he has a whole career ahead of him.

Is he someone we should be excited about?

I'd say we should be excited about every kid coming through unless they give us enough reason not to be.

From my viewing, Kosi has struggled with injury a bit this year which is probably due to being conservative with injury troubles from last year. That being said, he's a bloke I expect to make a very reliable AFL level defender.

He plays a fair bit like Frawley, in that he's really effective at using his body in spoiling - has a fair bit less toe than Frawley at his peak, but is a better read of the ball and mark and is a bit more composed.

I'd say we should be excited about every kid coming through unless they give us enough reason not to be.

From my viewing, Kosi has struggled with injury a bit this year which is probably due to being conservative with injury troubles from last year. That being said, he's a bloke I expect to make a very reliable AFL level defender.

He plays a fair bit like Frawley, in that he's really effective at using his body in spoiling - has a fair bit less toe than Frawley at his peak, but is a better read of the ball and mark and is a bit more composed.
Lakey proved you can be an elite key defender without speed, agility, or even very good skills. Just read the play better than your opponent, use your big body to your advantage, and back your ability to mark the ball.

Lakey proved you can be an elite key defender without speed, agility, or even very good skills. Just read the play better than your opponent, use your big body to your advantage, and back your ability to mark the ball.

Don't get me wrong, I reckon he'll be a great player. He's definitely athletic enough.

Back