Welcome 2018 draft pick 52: Welcome to Hawthorn Jacob Koschitzke

Kuuz

Norm Smith Medallist
May 5, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory TSM
Good to see people are fairly balanced re Kozi.

Fact is he had a breakout first year in the AFL and has a quieter 2nd year. People may also remember, that Lewis also followed a similar pattern, and even established prior players like Roughie, had a similar trajectory.

It takes a good couple of years for the big forwards to develop the consistency and game IQ needed to offer 30+ goals per season. Kozi has shown enough at this stage, and just needs to keep developing his forward craft.

I think the most encouraging aspect of his play this year, has been the fact he has acted as a good foil for Lewis and offered good forward pressure. Really liked how he leads out to clear space for Lewis on a number of occassions. He obviously has been a bit down on other aspects, probably his contested marking for mine. But Lewis was the same.

I think as well with Jeka having the potential to be a solid swingman, we have good options going forward for our KPFs.

Yeah, by age 22 and 30-odd games, he needs to have won 3 Colemans, 2 flags (preferably as captain), a Brownlow or two, and countless media awards. Get rid of him…
Mate, get a grip. Literally no-one has suggested delist him. At worst, it's a case of trading if the price is right. Not delist, not trade for peanuts, not even chuck in the magoos.

There is still questions marks on whether he can work with Lewis as a second target as he lacks forward craft. Critiquing him does not mean we get rid of him. Chill.

Simon_Nesbit

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 26, 2001
Tasmania
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Comparison to O'Brien are more on output than skills/flaws IMO.

O'Brien was technically a very good mark, judged the ball in flight well and reached for it at his highest point. He was regularly in the best position first, but unable to hold out his opponent. His biggest issue was absolutely zero awareness of his surroundings, and he was incredibly easy to destabilise or move off-line with body contact. 90% of his dropped marks were due this body pressure (real or perceived), as he was unbalanced and falling, or (in later years) under the assumption of incoming body contact. It's why he could go into defence and regularly take strong intercept marks (no one was trying to stop him). Good Skills and reading the play, but no body-sense or aggression. Fit, but not fast. Weak in core and body.

Kozi is fast, but doesn't know where/how to lead except in straight line at the kicker. He attacks every contest with vigour, even if he has no hope of getting there. As the main man those efforts work well, but as the 2nd/3rd forward it means he gets in the way of others. His hands are poor/weak and whilst he is strong in body he is easily disrupted with defender contact to arms. His judgement of high ball is not great and he is often fighting for the ball from a poor starting position.

You can learn leading patterns, restraint and team-work but Kozi's attitude (chase everything) is a net positive that should be celebrated (as frustrating as Lewis might find him sometimes). If we can fix Kozi's hands and keep him out of the way of Lewis we will have a player. Otherwise he might be an 'almost' FF, which seems to be his more natural position - where everything is directed through him so he doesn't have to fit in, or create for others.

flinchfree

Premiership Player
Jan 30, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I don't see it with Kosi.
Great attitude but incredibly limited player.
If he can see the ball dropping in front of him he'll make a run at it or the contest, otherwise he seems lost to me.
And when the ball starts flying in different directions in the hands of the opposition he looks completely bewildered as to what he should be doing.
Apologies to all the bois on here who are fans, your opinion is heard but I just don't see it.
He's a wrecking ball with very little footy nous and don't see that 'developing'.
When you've grown up with the game and played it as long as he has you either have instincts which can be honed, a mental picture of how patterns of play take shape, or not.
For mine he's a not.

Dipper

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2000
London,England
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Allies FCC
My memory is that last year he stuck a few rather nice pack marks, but that it was his woeful set shots that needed most attention.

I've not noticed his set shot issues as much this year, presumably because he's not had as many.

Sent from my SM-A326B using BigFooty.com mobile app

CHUBBSS

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I don't see it with Kosi.
Great attitude but incredibly limited player.
If he can see the ball dropping in front of him he'll make a run at it or the contest, otherwise he seems lost to me.
And when the ball starts flying in different directions in the hands of the opposition he looks completely bewildered as to what he should be doing.
Apologies to all the bois on here who are fans, your opinion is heard but I just don't see it.
He's a wrecking ball with very little footy nous and don't see that 'developing'.
When you've grown up with the game and played it as long as he has you either have instincts which can be honed, a mental picture of how patterns of play take shape, or not.
For mine he's a not.
Short sighted take which pays no respect to the player, the club, coaches and Gunston in particular.

A bit like Irish recruit plenty to work with just needs time to grow into a role at afl.

Burtman

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Just a reminder for those with short memories, when kozi’s had a good run at it and confident, his hands are great, he’s agressive, quick and capable at ground level. He’s a great foil for lewis. If we can give shoey and obrien 8 years I think we can give this guy a couple more to show his wares

Just a reminder for those with short memories, when kozi’s had a good run at it and confident, his hands are great, he’s agressive, quick and capable at ground level. He’s a great foil for lewis. If we can give shoey and obrien 8 years I think we can give this guy a couple more to show his wares

No one has forgotten.

That highlights package though, is made up of 50% highlights from 2 games one of which was a pre-season match up and both against bottom 4 sides. A large chunk of the rest of them are either uncontested marks or joe the goose type goals.

Kosi has qualities I like, he's quick and he plays with guts - but it doesn't really prove anything in regards to Kosi the player. Fact is, last year and this year he was either average or below average for pretty much every stat you want a forward to do well in:

Goals, shots at goal, goal assists, score involvements, marks, marks inside 50, contested marks and marks on lead.

He's also not particularly a great foil for Lewis, which is one of the major problems with having him in the 22.

He's a good player, I like the look of him as full forward. He'd be great at a club like Freo. Just don't see him thriving here.

TylerDurden

Mischief. Mayhem. Soap
Mar 5, 2007
Lou's Tavern
AFL Club
Hawthorn
No one has forgotten.

That highlights package though, is made up of 50% highlights from 2 games one of which was a pre-season match up and both against bottom 4 sides. A large chunk of the rest of them are either uncontested marks or joe the goose type goals.

Kosi has qualities I like, he's quick and he plays with guts - but it doesn't really prove anything in regards to Kosi the player. Fact is, last year and this year he was either average or below average for pretty much every stat you want a forward to do well in:

Goals, shots at goal, goal assists, score involvements, marks, marks inside 50, contested marks and marks on lead.

He's also not particularly a great foil for Lewis, which is one of the major problems with having him in the 22.

He's a good player, I like the look of him as full forward. He'd be great at a club like Freo. Just don't see him thriving here.
Cmon mate. Those highlights are exceptional for a kid who was essentially in his first year.
Yes, he's been bog average this year. But I'm not gonna begrudge the quality he showed in 2021 season.

Burtman

Club Legend
Oct 7, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
No one has forgotten.

His stats are average for a key forward overall but if you compare him to guys around his age he’s much higher ranked. It’s taken guys like Marshall and fogarty 5/6 years to hit their straps and now they’re repaying the faith. He might never be a superstar but I think he’ll be a very handy second forward because of his attributes. I still remember a lot of this board writing off Lewis for the first couple of years. These guys take time

lyger

Club Legend
Oct 24, 2010
Source
AFL Club
Hawthorn
No one has forgotten.

Agree on the point of pairing in the forward line. Gunners is so great because he can be the main target, second tall and third tall with equal effect. With Kosi, it feels as though he needs to play FF as he doesn’t (at this stage) have the versatility in his game.

Cmon mate. Those highlights are exceptional for a kid who was essentially in his first year.
Yes, he's been bog average this year. But I'm not gonna begrudge the quality he showed in 2021 season.
"Essentially" in his first year, literally in his third. Some of the highlights were exciting but they're bloody highlights mate, they're supposed to look good. Doesn't change the fact that half of them are from 2 games, against bottom 4 sides, with 1 of them meaning absolutely nothing because it was a pre season game.
His stats are average for a key forward overall but if you compare him to guys around his age he’s much higher ranked. It’s taken guys like Marshall and fogarty 5/6 years to hit their straps and now they’re repaying the faith. He might never be a superstar but I think he’ll be a very handy second forward because of his attributes. I still remember a lot of this board writing off Lewis for the first couple of years. These guys take time
Again, repeating myself, but I didn't write Lewis off because he was rated either above average or elite for almost every quality a forward requires in the games he played - he just lacked effort. Kosi is the opposite. Endeavour is there but the impact isn't.

Lewis was also kicking goals at will in the VFL, Kosi hasn't been able to do that either. They're completely different prospects.

All that said I'm not even writing him off. People keep talking about him potentially being a useful second forward or foil for Lewis but from literally everything we've seen of him that's the position he's shown the least ability to succeed in, that's my issue. Looking at his game critically I just can't see him being that, BUT I could see him offering value to another club like Melbourne or Freo.

This is all your fault 4P 🤣🤣🤣
I know
Tuesday Morning Reaction GIF by The Secret Life Of Pets

Apr 17, 2006
???
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Miami Dolphins(NFL)
So many traits to make it, but as I posted on the box hill thread - Lacks body work, has concrete hands, and doesn't have the intelligence to lead into space (instead leading into packs of 4+)

Rocket72

Club Legend
Oct 16, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Am hoping we retain Kosi, he’s still young and could make it. Being dropped for the last game when exit interviews are already done doesn’t look good. Will we delist him?

Feb 5, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Chicago Blackhawks Melb Renegades
Am hoping we retain Kosi, he’s still young and could make it. Being dropped for the last game when exit interviews are already done doesn’t look good. Will we delist him?

Second in our goal kicking last season then received a contract extension.
Still 5th in our goal kicking this season despite dropping in form and playing out of position due to our ruck injury drama.

I'm not sure why delisting would even come into anybody's mind.

We just need to hope he has a big pre-season and can kick 25+ goals next season at a minimum.

Roddy

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 10, 2006
M-Town
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Aussie Cricket team.
Go back, even just 3-4 months, and our KPF stocks looked very good. Now I'm not so sure: Lewis's best is awesome but he's injury prone. I still have hope for Kosi but him getting dropped now, and not showing great form in the magoos , is not a great sign. Jeka seems to be being groomed more as a KPD, and Callow? Haven't heard a great deal about him. Does that mean he's not taking the strides we'd hoped.

It's certainly far from panic stations, but concerns are there...

A lot rests on his shoulders next year. A big pre-season and hopefully Koschitzke can put in a career best season. He needs to work on getting separation against defenders rather than always standing stationary in a marking contest which is not his strength.

Back