List Mgmt. 2018 Draft Prospects aka the West and Khamis thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember Rozee was a 15-25 projection in early phantom drafts, was seen as a bit of a reach for us at 6-8. He almost seems the Bont, Oliver of this draft. I wonder if we would even consider trading/live trading up for him (or Smith).

How do the Suns get Pick 1 to acquire Lukocious in order to pull off this deal involving Rozee?
Carlton would be mad not to take him, and surely would be driving a hard bargain to give him up.

Wouldn’t Crows just wait for us to pass on him at that point if they know we’re not keen?
The idea is not to let them know that. Say “he’s the best left so we’ll take him but we know you want him so if you want to trade make us an offer”. That might actually be the truth of it anyway.

How do the Suns get Pick 1 to acquire Lukocious in order to pull off this deal involving Rozee?
Carlton would be mad not to take him, and surely would be driving a hard bargain to give him up.

Carlton don't need forwards. Need quality mids. They will keep pick 1 to guarantee they get their pick of them, which is Walsh.

Suns may then get to pick Lukosius or trade that pick to the Crows.

News is that Lukocious has told all non SA teams he plays to go home ASAP.

Carlton don't need forwards. Need quality mids. They will keep pick 1 to guarantee they get their pick of them, which is Walsh.

Suns may then get to pick Lukosius or trade that pick to the Crows.

I take your point but what if Carlton think they can get better value by offloading pick one?
Knightmare has outlined a plan whereby Carlton gets Shiel, Setterfield and Fasolo, GWS get Moore, Elliott and Langdon and Collingwood gets Lukocious. Nothing for the Suns.
I'm hoping for this because I'd like Rozee to still be around at our pick, although his performance in the SANFL final last Sunday won't have gone unnoticed.
(Knightmare thinks Carlton should take Lukocious)

I take your point but what if Carlton think they can get better value by offloading pick one?
Knightmare has outlined a plan whereby Carlton gets Shiel, Setterfield and Fasolo, GWS get Moore, Elliott and Langdon and Collingwood gets Lukocious. Nothing for the Suns.
I'm hoping for this because I'd like Rozee to still be around at our pick, although his performance in the SANFL final last Sunday won't have gone unnoticed.
(Knightmare thinks Carlton should take Lukocious)

I thought Knightmare was way off on that trade. Carlton would love that Trade but the Pies get reamed without lube. 4 players for pick 1?

GWS can't pay the wages for those players. Pies would have to pay for all their salaries next year.

Moore has some big money offers from Swans & others, GWS won't be targeting someone they can't actually pay the contract of.

So that’s Lukosius, Rankine, and both Kings now allegedly unhappy to go interstate.

Free agency has been a terrible call for the competition. Way too much power in the players hands for where they want to play, now the latest batch of draftees are getting in early. Even contracted players say where they want to go, being that unhappy they force the club to take unders rather than honouring their contracts. Gone are the days a 17/18yo kid would move anywhere he had to just to play in the AFL

*if true, of course

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Free agency has been a terrible call for the competition. Way too much power in the players hands for where they want to play, now the latest batch of draftees are getting in early. Even contracted players say where they want to go, being that unhappy they force the club to take unders rather than honouring their contracts. Gone are the days a 17/18yo kid would move anywhere he had to just to play in the AFL

*if true, of course

The AFL desperately needs to implement longer rookie contracts.

Structured pay for longer, including after the first rookie contract expires, would help. As would allowing teams to trade contracted players without the player’s consent.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...o/news-story/c253caae1689f69332276a06b29d5518

Looks like I was on the money having Rozee as my 4th favourite, Gold Coast looking likely to take him at 3.

Other things from this article (by bigfooty's own Bishop):
  • Dogs also keen on Rozee
  • Gold Coast not likely to take the Kings
  • Smith won't go top 5
  • Blues likely to take Walsh with pick 1
With the Saints interest in Max King, top 4 looks like this at this point:
  1. Carlton - Sam Walsh
  2. Gold Coast - Jack Lukosius
  3. Gold Coast - Connor Rozee
  4. St Kilda - Max King
That leaves Ben King, Bailey Smith, and Izak Rankine the remaining (current) top tier players. The two pick before us are likely either Brisbane/Fremantle or Fremantle/Fremantle if the Neale trade happens. Really hoping Fremantle take Ben King leaving us one of the other two (Smith I'd prefer). It would make sense for them to, especially if they have both picks.

I posted a month or so back that we have rozee very very high on our board.

I’d be shocked if we passed on him if we keep the pick (and if he’s available).

Rozee, Rankine, Smith...my guess is that we'll see the last of these 3 picked just before us if we keep 6(7).:'(

That would still leave Lukosius, Walsh or a King. Could be worse

I posted a month or so back that we have rozee very very high on our board.

I’d be shocked if we passed on him if we keep the pick (and if he’s available).
Must have missed that. I've also heard from here that "if Smith is there at our pick, we'll take him". Have you got any read on who we like more?

And that's the issue. Can't lose with pick 7. Which is why it's so valuable.
I wish I had your confidence about pick 7.

Chances of either Walsh or Lukosius still being there at pick 7 are pretty small IMO. Less than 5%. A King would be nice but even they are not guaranteed to be there (say 30-50% chance) but as we've seen with KPP high picks most of them take time and a worrying proportion don't live up to their U18 hype.

Meanwhile our premiership window is beginning to re-open according to most observers (might still be a year or two off).

Do we pass on a rare chance to land a double AA player in the peak age (mid-20s)? Especially one who fills a role we are obviously so deficient in and who has over 100 games experience?

I wish I had your confidence about pick 7.

Chances of either Walsh or Lukosius still being there at pick 7 are pretty small IMO. Less than 5%. A King would be nice but even they are not guaranteed to be there (say 30-50% chance) but as we've seen with KPP high picks most of them take time and a worrying proportion don't live up to their U18 hype.

Meanwhile our premiership window is beginning to re-open according to most observers (might still be a year or two off).

Do we pass on a rare chance to land a double AA player in the peak age (mid-20s)? Especially one who fills a role we are obviously so deficient in and who has over 100 games experience?
Pick 7 would get us one of Rankine, King(s), Walsh, Smith, Rozee , Lukosius. All of which are a top, top talent. Agree re: Kings, however I think that is a pick 7 that is more valuable than pick 7s of other draft, especially considering the talk around Adelaide teams being desperate for Rankine/Lukosius with Rozee also from SA.

It is a tricky proposition I suppose. The relatively known measured against the relative unknown. If West was not in the picture, I would be more reticent to trade the pick, however because we are still renewing the list with young talent in West, then the pick 7 becomes more usable for sure.

I'd be doing cartwheels.

Same thing with Cerra, and they picked him and got him signing another contract. I reckon they'll back themselves if they like him. Same with Rayner an Brisbane. I reckon only Gold Coast will be scared off by that talk. With Ben King killing it the other day, and Freo needing KPPs, I can see them liking him enough.

Kings went to hailybury remember.
Andrew brayshaw did also.
They know each other very well and played in a flag under matt Lloyd.

Like u I reckon freo go a king and back in settling him in with brayshaw and cerra etc

2018 NAB AFL Draft Combine – National

Medium Forwards

Sam Sturt Vic Country/Dandenong Stingrays/Peninsula Grammar
12/05/2000 Height: 188cm Weight: 78kg

A left-footed medium forward who is courageous, strong overhead and presents well as a target up forward. Talented cricketer who only committed to peruse an AFL career after finishing school football commitments at Peninsula Grammar. Starred in the APS v AGS representative game and has shown AFL potential in his handful of games with the Stingrays late in the season.

Izak Rankine South Australia/West Adelaide
23/04/2000 Height: 180cm Weight: 76kg

Classy medium midfielder with electrifying pace and innate goal sense highlighted by his five goals in South Australia’s 2018 NAB AFL Under-18 Championships victory over Vic Metro. Averaged 15.8 disposals and three goals per match making him one of South Australia’s stars. Now a back-to-back Under-18 All-Australian highlighting his enormous potential. He has already played three years of senior football with West Adelaide in the SANFL. Member of the NAB AFL Academy.

Joel Crocker Sandringham Dragons/Brighton Grammar
14/04/2000 Height: 191cm Weight: 73kg

A versatile medium forward who is composed, competitive and has good footy smarts. Very good user of the ball by hand and foot and impressed last year with his AFL traits before ankle injury curtailed his 2018 season. Son of Darren Crocker and eligible as a father-son selection to North Melbourne where his father is part of the coaching panel.

Luke Foley Western Australia/Subiaco/Sorrento Duncraig
08/10/1999 Height: 187cm Weight: 75kg

Medium forward with a high work rate and is a good contested mark. Has a penetrating kick with clean hands and is a former state underage 400m-1500m medallist highlighting his athletic prowess. Impressed for Western Australia in the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships averaging 17.3 disposals and 3.3 marks in three matches.

Curtis Taylor Vic Metro/Calder Cannons
06/04/2000 Height: 186cm Weight: 79kg

Composed medium forward who is a strong overhead mark and reads the play well of hands, front and square. Regularly hits the scoreboard and shows mercurial ability to win the ball in traffic. At his best with eight marks and three goals against Vic Country at the MCG in the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships highlighting his potential. Member of the NAB AFL Academy.

Bailey Scott Allies/Queensland/Gold Coast Suns Academy/Broadbeach
09/07/2000 Height 186cm Weight: 74kg

Medium forward/midfielder who reads the game exceptionally well and makes good decisions with the ball. Smart around the goals, he averaged 23.8 possessions in a very productive 2018 NAB AFL Under-18 Championship series in his role as captain of the Allies, winning Under-18 All-Australian honours. Has very good running capabilities which enables him to run and support his teammates to outnumber then transition. Son of former Geelong and North Melbourne player Robert Scott he is also eligible for the Gold Coast Suns under Next Generation Academy rules.

Tarryn Thomas Tasmania/Allies/North Launceston
25/03/2000 Height: 189cm Weight: 76kg

Indigenous medium forward who can also play through the midfield or in defence. Strong overhead, quick and a good contested ball winner with natural goal sense. Won the Harrison Medal for his outstanding form for Tasmania in the AFL Academy series earlier this year. Member of the NAB AFL Academy as well as North Melbourne’s Next Generation Academy.

Charlie Sprague Vic Country/Geelong Falcons/Barwon Heads
08/05/2000 Height: 187cm Weight: 79kg

Strong marking forward who is a one-touch player with clean hands. Smart player who’s running patterns and endurance helping him present as a target and is a good decision maker with the ball in hand. Flexible type who can influence games with his ball use. Missed the 2018 NAB AFL Under-18 Championship series due to injury.

Shane McAdam South Australia/Sturt/Claremont
28/05/1995 Height: 185cm Weight: 84kg

A medium forward who has made a real impression in his first season in the SANFL with Sturt after crossing from Claremont. Has kick 31 goals in 17 games with his natural leap, speed and pressure up forward real assets of his game. Nephew of AFL stars Gilbert and Adrian McAdam this 23-year-old is one of several mature aged prospects eyeing the NAB AFL Draft.

Ben Jarvis South Australia/Norwood
27/07/2000 Height: 185cm Weight 77kg

Medium forward who presents well as a lead with his speed and strong hands. Aggressive player with good recovery and agility. His 17 disposals, four marks and three goals against Western Australia in the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships was an outstanding performance. Originally from Port Lincoln, he is now at Rostrevor College in Adelaide.

Tom Sparrow South Australia/South Adelaide/Prince Alfred College
11/05/2000 Height: 182cm Weight: 81kg

Medium forward/midfielder who is a super competitive type who wins contested ball and has the ability to stay in the contest with his recovery and agility. A leader on the field he was a constant contributor for South Australia in their 2018 NAB AFL Under-18 Championships victory. Averaged 21.9 disposals at Under-18 level in the SANFL and will be a key player for South Adelaide in their premiership bid this weekend.

Jordan Morrissey Ireland/Country Carlow
20/02/1999 Height: 185cm Weight: 80kg

A medium forward who is an outstanding underage prodigy with Country Carlow. Progressed from Under-18 straight to the senior ranks and made a significant impact in an outstanding year for Carlow. Has speed, goal sense and is a natural leader. A very committed individual to his training and preparation, he is highly regarded in the Gaelic circles.

Pierce Laverty Ireland/Country Down
12/02/1998 Height: 182cm Weight: 78kg

A medium forward who is quick and has an excellent natural leap. Physically a real AFL type who has starred for his Country Down at Under-18 and Under-20 level in recent years. Is a versatile player in Gaelic football with an elite step through traffic which makes him dangerous around goals.

2018 NAB AFL Draft Combine – State

Medium Forwards

Frank Anderson
South Croydon
05/08/1997 Height: 186cm Weight: 82kg

Riley Bice Murray Bushrangers/GWS Academy
26/09/2000 Height: 184cm Weight: 68kg

Oscar Chapman North Adelaide
28/03/1999 Height: 187cm Weight: 72kg

Job Colwell South Adelaide
07/04/2000 Height: 182cm Weight: 80kg

Dylan Curley East Fremantle
02/11/2000 Height: 188cm Weight: 70kg

Patrick Farrant Swan Districts
01/10/1999 Height: 189cm Weight: 75kg

Jake Gaspar Oakleigh Chargers
19/04/2000 Height: 183cm Weight: 80kg

Brayden Ham Geelong Falcons
25/04/1999 Height: 181cm Weight: 69kg

James Jordan Oakleigh Chargers
20/12/2000 Height: 186cm Weight: 84kg

Josh Kemp Calder Cannons
13/04/2000 Height: 186cm Weight: 73kg

Jeromy Lucas GWS Giants Academy
29/06/2000 Height: 184cm Weight: 81kg

Tom Medhat West Perth
16/8/2000 Height: 190cm Weight: 79kg

Louis Miller East Perth
25/05/2000 Height: 187cm Weight: 82kg

Luke Moore South Fremantle
07/04/2000 Height: 180cm Weight: 85kg

Michael Mummery NT Thunder
13/06/2000 Height: 185cm Weight: 87kg

Jai Nanscawen Dandenong Stingrays
31/03/2000 Height: 184cm Weight: 73kg

James Pearling GWS Giants Academy
21/08/2000 Height: 183cm Weight: 71kg

Jamie Plumridge Dandenong Stingrays
12/01/2000 Height: 183cm Weight: 75kg

Joey Reinhard Sydney Swans Academy
01/12/1999 Height: 190cm Weight: 84kg

Corey Rich Frankston
29/03/1997 Height: 183cm Weight: 83kg

Mathew Walker Murray Bushrangers/GWS Academy
14/02/2000 Height: 187cm Weight: 76kg

Izaak Wyatt Southern Districts
17/03/2000 Height: 187cm Weight: 72kg

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-09-13/medium-forwards-named-for-2018-afl-draft-combine

TWO AFL clubs have expressed interest in former VFL midfielder Anthony Scott after a stellar season with Old Trinity in the Victorian Amateur Football Association (VAFA).

AFL.com.au understands Western Bulldogs and St Kilda have enquired about the mature-aged left-footer.

The 23-year-old is set to meet the Bulldogs next week, while his management has been in talks with the Saints' newly appointed list manager James Gallagher.

Scott played eight games in the TAC Cup for Oakleigh Chargers in 2013, before earning the VAFA Rising Star award the following year and a position on Richmond's VFL list ahead of 2015.

So far, it has been a case of poor timing for Scott.

His three seasons in the VFL system coincided with Richmond's tilt towards its prized 2017 flag, and was compounded by an enviously small Tigers' injury list.

Scott was forced to play out of position and was given minimal opportunities to showcase his class in the midfield.

His decision to return to the VAFA has kept alive Scott's hopes of an AFL career.

Melbourne forward Mitch Hannan has gone from a VAFA grand final best-on-ground performance in 2015 to become an integral part of the Dees' forward 50 – and played against Hawthorn in Friday night's semi-final.

Ben Ronke, Mitch Brown (Essendon) and Rupert Wills have also earned themselves spots on AFL lists after standout VAFA seasons.

Scott represented the VAFA's 'Big V' side and was judged best afield (31 disposals) in the VAFA vs SAAFL (South Australia equivalent) representative game on June 11, and he was invited by Greater Western Sydney to travel north and play a game for the Giants' NEAFL side on June 23.

While he wasn't a standout, Scott's silky foot skills and decision-making were on display during the 40-goal shootout against Brisbane.

On Wednesday night, Scott capped off his prolific season with Old Trinity by finishing runner-up in the 2018 Woodrow Medal – awarded to the best and fairest player in the VAFA's premier division – four votes behind former Western Bulldogs utility Ayce Cordy.

Meanwhile, Collingwood VFL rookie Thomas Jok is set to spark AFL interest having spent time between the VAFA and VFL this year.

Standing at 193cm, the 21-year-old is incredibly athletic, has an enormous tank and possesses the ability to pinch-hit in the ruck.

After making his VFL debut for the Magpies in round 14, Jok cemented his spot after producing glimpses of brilliance.

Named 23rd man several times, Jok played the final seven games of the season and was named among the best on three occasions.

After the Bombers ended the Pies' VFL season, Jok – a St Kevin's Old Boy – returned to the VAFA in a preliminary final against Old Trinity last weekend.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-09-15/ammos-stars-big-season-see-recruiters-lurking

TWO AFL clubs have expressed interest in former VFL midfielder Anthony Scott after a stellar season with Old Trinity in the Victorian Amateur Football Association (VAFA).

AFL.com.au understands Western Bulldogs and St Kilda have enquired about the mature-aged left-footer.

The 23-year-old is set to meet the Bulldogs next week, while his management has been in talks with the Saints' newly appointed list manager James Gallagher.

Scott played eight games in the TAC Cup for Oakleigh Chargers in 2013, before earning the VAFA Rising Star award the following year and a position on Richmond's VFL list ahead of 2015.

So far, it has been a case of poor timing for Scott.

His three seasons in the VFL system coincided with Richmond's tilt towards its prized 2017 flag, and was compounded by an enviously small Tigers' injury list.

Scott was forced to play out of position and was given minimal opportunities to showcase his class in the midfield.

His decision to return to the VAFA has kept alive Scott's hopes of an AFL career.

Melbourne forward Mitch Hannan has gone from a VAFA grand final best-on-ground performance in 2015 to become an integral part of the Dees' forward 50 – and played against Hawthorn in Friday night's semi-final.

Ben Ronke, Mitch Brown (Essendon) and Rupert Wills have also earned themselves spots on AFL lists after standout VAFA seasons.

Scott represented the VAFA's 'Big V' side and was judged best afield (31 disposals) in the VAFA vs SAAFL (South Australia equivalent) representative game on June 11, and he was invited by Greater Western Sydney to travel north and play a game for the Giants' NEAFL side on June 23.

While he wasn't a standout, Scott's silky foot skills and decision-making were on display during the 40-goal shootout against Brisbane.

On Wednesday night, Scott capped off his prolific season with Old Trinity by finishing runner-up in the 2018 Woodrow Medal – awarded to the best and fairest player in the VAFA's premier division – four votes behind former Western Bulldogs utility Ayce Cordy.

Meanwhile, Collingwood VFL rookie Thomas Jok is set to spark AFL interest having spent time between the VAFA and VFL this year.

Standing at 193cm, the 21-year-old is incredibly athletic, has an enormous tank and possesses the ability to pinch-hit in the ruck.

After making his VFL debut for the Magpies in round 14, Jok cemented his spot after producing glimpses of brilliance.

Named 23rd man several times, Jok played the final seven games of the season and was named among the best on three occasions.

After the Bombers ended the Pies' VFL season, Jok – a St Kevin's Old Boy – returned to the VAFA in a preliminary final against Old Trinity last weekend.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-09-15/ammos-stars-big-season-see-recruiters-lurking

Good to see Jok might get a shot. Hoped he might have earned it.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back