List Mgmt. 2018 Draft Prospects aka the West and Khamis thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I’d be interested to know what the draft experts think of the Champion Data rankings. I know they’re based primarily on stats so are a view of a player currently and not what they could be. But my gut feeling from previous years are that in hindsight they’re pretty on the mark.

Last edited:
I’d be interested to know what the draft experts think of the Chmapion Data rankings. I know they’re based primarily on stats so are a view of a player currently and not what they could be. But my gut feeling from previous years are that in hindsight they’re pretty on the mark.
They can be but late bolters aren't accounted for. Bont bolted late but if you look at his TAC average stats over the year they aren't brilliant, noting he started the year on a flank. Valente is considered a little 'vanilla' so isn't likely to be near the top ten, rumours are Gold Coast would love him with an early second rounder.

Dalrymple seemed to draft more for ceiling than production (Bont, Greene, JJ perfect examples) which CD doesn't account for. FWIW both Hooper and HC would have rated highly, HC was in the top 25 in ave SC scores from the year. High production, low ceiling.

They can be but late bolters aren't accounted for. Bont bolted late but if you look at his TAC average stats over the year they aren't brilliant, noting he started the year on a flank. Valente is considered a little 'vanilla' so isn't likely to be near the top ten, rumours are Gold Coast would love him with an early second rounder.

Dalrymple seemed to draft more for ceiling than production (Bont, Greene, JJ perfect examples) which CD doesn't account for. FWIW both Hooper and HC would have rated highly, HC was in the top 25 in ave SC scores from the year. High production, low ceiling.
Honey was 15th according to Champion Data, which shows why you can't solely rely on their assessments

Honey was 15th according to Champion Data, which shows why you can't solely rely on their assessments
Injury affected players also don't rate well, obviously Max King having hardly played (potential pick 1 otherwise) and Jye Caldwell missed a big part of the year too.

1.Walsh
2.Lukosius
3.Rankine
4.Rozee
5.Port?
6.Suns?

We probably face the same issue with Smith with Rozee going at 4. Still depends on suns at 6. Hopefully they take Caldwell.

1.Walsh
2.Lukosius
3.Rankine
4.Rozee
5.Port?
6.Suns?

We probably face the same issue with Smith with Rozee going at 4. Still depends on suns at 6. Hopefully they take Caldwell.
Rumour mill is Ben King or Smith to Port, Suns keen on Caldwell with Hately a potential reach.

Max King? Would be a bold move, not a real need but a Schache/Max King forwardline has real scoring potential, albeit not for a few years (and English can rest forward too when one of them rests).

1.Walsh
2.Lukosius
3.Rankine
4.Rozee
5.Port?
6.Suns?

Landsberger saying Winx like odds that Smith stays in Vic which, unless picks are traded, means us or St Kilda. If Saints go Rozee hopefully Smith gets to us

If Saints don’t take Max then I could potentially see that working massively in our favour.

1. Walsh
2. Luko
3. Rankine
4. Smith
5. Rozee

Suddenly Gold Coast have the potential to walk away from the draft with Luko, Rankine and both Kings if they’d be willing to trade their future first for our pick 7. I think they’d go for it if they back themselves to not finish last/2nd last.
Obviously a few big ifs in there but would be amazing for us.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is today’s Saints link to Rozee just bait to try and get a desperate offer from the SA clubs?
I'd be very happy with Rozee, personally.

Ditto Smith or Clark. I'd love one of the Kings too except for the brother curse.

Is today’s Saints link to Rozee just bait to try and get a desperate offer from the SA clubs?
I reckon they are trying to get Gold Coast to jump at Rozee with 3 and let Rankine slip to 4.
I still think Rozee is who the Suns want and they will trade 3 to Port for Rankine.
St.Kilda trying to scare them off.

I’d be interested to know what the draft experts think of the Champion Data rankings. I know they’re based primarily on stats so are a view of a player currently and not what they could be. But my gut feeling from previous years are that in hindsight they’re pretty on the mark.

How they can "fairly" rate the likes of Ben King and Caldwell is beyond me.
Going back to footy as a 15 yo against everyone playing as 16 and 17 yo is not going to be accurate.

If port can take Max and Ben King they absolutely should.
Why ? They cannot play all their tall players in the same side now. Port lost Wingard, Polec, Pittard, and Hombsch and got in
Lycett, Burton and Mayes. Now Mayes and Burton provide good cover, but Rankine would be the perfect swap for Wingard.
The Kings best placement is the only place they don't want to go.

While I know not relevant to our picks at the moment but take a moment to watch the Riley Collier Dawkins video.

Ultra impressive purely from the fact he has jets, but genuinely it was either him bursting into space or him doing something to put a teammate into space.
Absolutely critical those types are to good ball movement.

Dont know much else about him and clearly there is a negative side to him to not be ranked top 10.
But Ill watch him with interest at AFL level.

Also according to pieforlife West hasn't been invited to the Draft which means no club is planning on bidding on the first round. Always a coupe if late invites but would be great for us if he didn't receive a first round bid. More rain we should be offloading 27
He gave the full list as-
Walsh, Caldwell, Duursma, McHenry, Sturt, King x2, Smith, RCD, Butters, Quaynor, Stocker, Kelly, Taylor, Luko, Rankine, Rozee, Hately, Valente, Hill, Clarke, Blakey, Thomas, Jones, Scott - if anyone is interested. Scott and Kelly are interesting.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back