_M_16_

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Liv FC, LA Rams, Pitt Pen, Michigan
My only concern with dropping back and hoping for Smith will slide past a couple of more interstate teams, is that it opens the window for other Victoria teams to trade up and sneak in a pick before us. Would be mega unhappy if that happened.

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I’m against trading down we already have a young list adding 7, west and Khamis plus a mature ager or two is the better choice than take the risk of trading down to say 11 and 19 miss out on who we wanted at 7 and then lose 19 cause west gets bid on. Yes that is worse case scenario but it’s a possibility, we are trying to be smart and chances are it backfires on us
I can’t see Power and crew taking the risk in his first draft.

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
My only concern with dropping back and hoping for Smith will slide past a couple of more interstate teams, is that it opens the window for other Victoria teams to trade up and sneak in a pick before us. Would be mega unhappy if that happened.
That’s what Richmond are reportedly trying to do.

Dec 29, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

A fox sports article is stating if we trade to 11 Richmond are set to give up 17 and next years first for 10 and swoop on smith

Oct 12, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
A

And that’s why you don’t take a risk on something like this. Use pick 7 on the player we most want who is available at that pick. Then try and bundle 27 and 32 to move up a bit before the West bid.

I wouldn’t take the risk on trading 7 unless it was for 8, 9 or 10 and even then I still probably wouldn’t do it.
Would be crazy to do it with one player in mind (unless 7 to 8). Could only do it if you rated a bunch just as good.

_M_16_

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
with Gill doing a 25 minute speech to start.
Thankful to whoever the person was that invented the mute button

Then the IT systems crashing and everything comes to a screaming halt...
1:16am Friday: "With Pick 7, the Western Bulldogs select player …… from ………."

Mar 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Charlton Athletic, Roys FFC
Thankful to whoever the person was that invented the mute button

1:16am Friday: "With Pick 7, the Western Bulldogs select player …… from ………."

Agreed and you know it will happen mate !!

_M_16_

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
That’s what Richmond are reportedly trying to do.
A fox sports article is stating if we trade to 11 Richmond are set to give up 17 and next years first for 10 and swoop on smith

Well that will pretty much rule out us trading back at all, or leaves only GWS as a trading partner.

Jun 17, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
ASADA
It’s Foxtel’s sister offering. Finally they’re letting us just get sport. FYI you need the top end Chromecast to stream atm but they should add methods.

I took up the 14 day trial for the draft and will sign back up when pre-season games roll around.
Same. Just signed up. Got some decent clips on there!

Was thinking of cancelling and getting when pre-season starts but cricket is starting again

Mar 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams

So if this happens, and hypothetically we got O’Halloran and Butters, instead of Smith - from this deal - how would people feel ???

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 22, 2008
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Assuming because pick 7 is higher = you're gonna get the better player is the wrong way to look at it. If we do trade down 7 then its obviously because either the player we wanted is not there or the player we want will be available later. That is literally the only 2 reasons wed do it.

Also if West gets bid on before 19 it's not a waste at all. It means we get 27 + 32 whereas if West gets bid on before 19 and we dont have it we lose 27 and not sure exactly but I'd say 32 gets moved down quite a bit. Smith, West and roughly pick 40 odd or Clark (or any of the other boys in that next bunch that weve been linked too), West, 27 (O'Halloran?), 32. Personally I'd still prefer the 2nd option and that's worst case scenario of Smith being gone by 11 and West being bid on before 19.

It literally all depends on who we want at the end of the day, were all assuming its Smith and therefore it's too big a risk. I'm really not sold that he is our main target. Everything weve done and every one weve been linked too all offseason proves the club desperately wants outside class and forwards. Not sure adding Smith along with West would be that high on our agenda tbh. I'm sure the club would much rather 2x Clark/Hill (names are just an example but I mean just two players who better fit our needs) than Smith.

_M_16_

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
So if this happens, and hypothetically we got O’Halloran and Butters, instead of Smith - from this deal - how would people feel ???

Mixed. On one hand we get two decent players who's ceilings are both unknown. On the other hand Smith is ready made and already built for AFL, the other two make take some time and may not reach the level of Smith or play as soon. Its basically comes down to would people be happy with one A grader on potential or two B graders on potential?

Dec 29, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

Could just as equally end up with one of those and West from the deal. I just don’t like the risk unless it is 99% chance who we want at 7 whether that’s smith or not is still there at where we trade to then it’s too big a risk imo

Mar 10, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Better than if we drafted Smith

Mixed. On one hand we get two decent players who's ceilings are both unknown. On the other hand Smith is ready made and already built for AFL, the other two make take some time and may not reach the level of Smith or play as soon. Its basically comes down to would people be happy with one A grader on potential or two B graders on potential?

Ok, just interested in people’s thoughts.

LordC

Senior List
Oct 10, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I’m against trading down we already have a young list adding 7, west and Khamis plus a mature ager or two is the better choice than take the risk of trading down to say 11 and 19 miss out on who we wanted at 7 and then lose 19 cause west gets bid on. Yes that is worse case scenario but it’s a possibility, we are trying to be smart and chances are it backfires on us

West is going to get bid close to the same spot if we have pick 19 or not. If West goes that early and we did not have pick 19, we would definitely have lost picks 27 & 32 to match. With khamis likely to require pick 45. So pick 7, west and khamis. At least with the trade we get pick 9, west, pick 32 and khamis. If pick 7 going to be the same player as pick 9 we have gained an extra player at 32. If West isn’t bid before 19 even better. Either way we can not lose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dec 29, 2009
Hobart
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
West is going to get bid close to the same spot if we have pick 19 or not. If West goes that early and we did not have pick 19, we would definitely have lost picks 27 & 32 to match. With khamis likely to require pick 45. So pick 7, west and khamis. At least with the trade we get pick 9, west, pick 32 and khamis. If pick 7 going to be the same player as pick 9 we have gained an extra player at 32. If West isn’t bid before 19 even better. Either way we can not lose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is more likely 11 than 9. We can lose if who we want doesn’t get to 11 then we’ve lost our preferred option and instead of 7 and west, we get 11, west and 2 mid-late second rounders second rounders on top of an already young list.

McCraeBF

All Australian
Dec 23, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Also if you get a chance watch trade on AFL site about the kings.

Khamis is now as tall as Ben king have a look I got told he had grown but thats crazy have a look

Oct 12, 2012
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Also if West gets bid on before 19 it's not a waste at all. It means we get 27 + 32 whereas if West gets bid on before 19 and we dont have it we lose 27 and not sure exactly but I'd say 32 gets moved down quite a bit. Smith, West and roughly pick 40 odd or Clark (or any of the other boys in that next bunch that weve been linked too), West, 27 (O'Halloran?), 32. Personally I'd still prefer the 2nd option and that's worst case scenario of Smith being gone by 11 and West being bid on before 19.

I recently realised this. If trading down (e.g. to 19) and West gets bid early, then it isn't a waste as like you say we'd lose 27 and hurt 32 a lot too.

But it's potentially even more than that as you'd also be using that pick 27 instead of your last pick. So it's (kinda) also 27 for 50/60-odd

murphy2bedabest

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2003
On the final table-ALL IN
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Man U and Melbourne Storm
End of the day, Curnow was picked with the draft pick we traded out of for Dunkley and Collins. Denying he wouldn’t have been available is just making it sound better from our perspective.

I don’t think that trying down is better. Give me some examples of where it’s worked out for the better? Another example that comes to mind where it hasn’t is Melbourne trading down from pick 2, missing out on Kelly and Bontempelli for Tyson and Salem.

Although since I’ve been corrected on it being live trading it could work out for us, but it’s bloody risky.

Or they take Billings, KK or Aish? Yes Kelly went at 2 but they could’ve picked any other player.
Yes curnow would’ve been there, what if we didn’t pick him?

It’s one thing to look and say this player was picked or missed.

All I was saying that the philosophy of trading down in the long run gives you more opportunities to be successful with drafting.

Take 05-07 and pick 1 (3000 points) that would be pick 8 & 9 roughly. Now there are many factors in play, such as finding the right team with the right picks that want to trade and then having the righ environment for the players to develop to their potential.

Let’s say Carlton made those trades based on points, now Frawley, Hurn, Rance, Jones, Riewoldt and Dangerfield were all on the board at pick 8 in all those drafts and were all top 20 picks.

The trick is would you pick all of these guys? What about if you picked 6 players who played 100 games between them?

So for a bottom team where the need is to get more then one high end pick a year to improve, if you can somehow get 2-4 top 20 picks over 2-3 years that’ll give you better chances of improving quicker

Remove this Banner Ad

Back