List Mgmt. 2018 Draft Prospects aka the West and Khamis thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope we don’t try and get cute and trade down. We should go for best available. Last time we got cute we traded out from Charlie Curnow to Dunkley. Just take the best available

Surely the fact that it’s live trading alleviates this problem though. Maybe in 2015 dogs recruiters thought there was no way of Curnow falling to our first pick. With this set up we know exactly who is available at 7 before we choose to pull the trigger on a trade or not. So say if Rozee falls to seven, which seems pretty unlikely at this point, we can just take him if we really like him.

Don't see much in the way of comparison myself.
Give me a 17 yr old Butters over a 24 yr old Hayes any day.
The fascination with Hayes on this board is also a bit over the top.
A very good VFL footballer he is , but for the life of me can't see he will make much of a splash on the AFL stage.
Rookie at best from where I sit King

I hope we don’t try and get cute and trade down. We should go for best available. Last time we got cute we traded out from Charlie Curnow to Dunkley. Just take the best available
We were never going to take Curnow anyway. We stated we would've taken Kieran Collins with 11, so trading down actually got us Dunkley for nothing.

We never had Charlie, people have a habit of doing this saying that we missed player x y or z because they were picked at our original pick.

You need to take into account that other clubs could’ve had their draft board differently, or a certain team being at a pick could prompt a change picks.

FWIW I’ve been looking at 10 years of drafting and 80% of the time trading down pick 1 is in the long run better for bottom sides. You have to remember that if a side is on the bottom there are many needs to fix and multiple top 20 picks is the best way to do that.

Now drafting is one aspect of building a team and having the right development is as important

We were never going to take Curnow anyway. We stated we would've taken Kieran Collins with 11, so trading down actually got us Dunkley for nothing.

I've heard the exact opposite. We tried to trade up into the top 5 to grab Curnow, but we couldn't get it done. So we decided to trade down because we didn't think he'd be there.

Don't think we ever stated that we were taking Collins by the way, just that he was in the mix at 11. See below

Recruiting Manager Simon Dalrymple – Western Bulldogs

Selection No. 26 – Kieran Collins

"That was probably the biggest surprise of the night that he got through. As a key defender he was in our mix at pick 11, which we had ahead of the trade period, so he's a bonus for sure."

Actually Dunkley was always the target as all the media up to the date suggested, people on here were champing at the bit for Collins but we know how that turned out.

We selected Dunks first out of our picks too. We also bid on Keays and forced Bris to take him. Reckon Collins was an afterthought

Last edited:

no - we would have taken Dunkley regardless, trading down got us Colons as well

We never had Charlie, people have a habit of doing this saying that we missed player x y or z because they were picked at our original pick.

You need to take into account that other clubs could’ve had their draft board differently, or a certain team being at a pick could prompt a change picks.

FWIW I’ve been looking at 10 years of drafting and 80% of the time trading down pick 1 is in the long run better for bottom sides. You have to remember that if a side is on the bottom there are many needs to fix and multiple top 20 picks is the best way to do that.

Now drafting is one aspect of building a team and having the right development is as important
End of the day, Curnow was picked with the draft pick we traded out of for Dunkley and Collins. Denying he wouldn’t have been available is just making it sound better from our perspective.

I don’t think that trying down is better. Give me some examples of where it’s worked out for the better? Another example that comes to mind where it hasn’t is Melbourne trading down from pick 2, missing out on Kelly and Bontempelli for Tyson and Salem.

Although since I’ve been corrected on it being live trading it could work out for us, but it’s bloody risky.

After hearing about us talking to O'Hallaran and Butters it wouldn't surprise me if we trade down with GWS. Especially if Smith is going to drop like rumored and if Ben King is taken before our fist. Smith plus Butters/Ohalloran, West and Khamis would be a very good draft haul.

This is what we should be aiming for - exactly this

no - we would have taken Dunkley regardless, trading down got us Colons as well
Dunkley wasn’t even rated as a top 20 in the draft. Hence why he slipped to 25. To say we would have drafted him #8 is just pure speculation. Dalrymple is better than that

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pick 11 to mid 20s is all a bit different from 7 to 11 when there is a very strong chance the kid we may want at 7 will be there at 11

I've heard the exact opposite. We tried to trade up into the top 5 to grab Curnow, but we couldn't get it done. So we decided to trade down because we didn't think he'd be there.

Don't think we ever stated that we were taking Collins by the way, just that he was in the mix at 11. See below

Recruiting Manager Simon Dalrymple – Western Bulldogs

Selection No. 26 – Kieran Collins

"That was probably the biggest surprise of the night that he got through. As a key defender he was in our mix at pick 11, which we had ahead of the trade period, so he's a bonus for sure."
My understanding on Curnow is that we (like most) rated him really highly early on but went off him on character grounds. We dropped right off when he had his problems with the police just before the draft.

Wed have a lot invested in 200cm key forwards. If he was a Lukousis type I could live with it because he could fit alongside Boyd and Schache but if all 3 came on they could never play together (with English too). Good problem to have I guess though.
With injury record though chances of them all being fit at the same time! !!!!

Sorry if this has already been asked , what time does it kick off and where can I tune in or listen in ?
It starts at 7 pm according to afl website.
It will be on channel 504 on Foxtel and the AFL app.
AFL website will have a live blog and also have a tracker that will be updated as the draft progresses

Much more x-factor than Hrovat, just a bit slight and needs to up the endurance. Right footed version of Tom Scully
without the massive tank yet.

Just look at that highlight package , every decision he made with the footy was first class , don't think I could ever say that about Hrovat.
Also quicker and a far better kick than the rat.

Say we have the choice of Smith and B King. We take one.
What would piss you off more? To not take King and see him become a dominant kpd or not take Smith and see him become a dominant midfielder?
If King became a gun defender and Smith was only a solid player that would piss me off

Remove this Banner Ad

Back