Analysis 2018 Draft Strategy, what was that all about?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sure, there's probably plenty of younger, lighter, less experienced key backman out there...

Mohr gives us depth in a key part of the ground that we didn't have much if any depth in prior to the draft.
Most don't get the difference between actual depth and potential depth.
He's on a one year contract, two if he is lucky, he's outside the cap either in total or for his 1st 80k each year and he's a mature body who if nothing else gives us a veteran presence with AFL experience at VFL level to help develop the kids and hold down a position for Box Hill while others gain experience

Isn't there a mid-season draft next year so we don't have to waste a rookie pick on a 30 year old backman in case of injury?

Take someone like Mitch Grigg as we also need more inside mid depth.
Yep - picking up a key defender in a mid season (June/July) draft would be great if Brand or Frawley do a knee in the JLT season :rolleyes:

I didn't find our draft strategy strange. Our list is wafer thin in big bodied key defenders so we draft Kosi for the future and Mohr for now. Frawley and Brand were our only real KPDs and both have their limitations.
Fortunately we have a number of medium defenders who can play on talls but can't go body to body with the big forwards. We also have good depth in small and medium defenders many of whom are elite kicks and rebounders which is where there value is.
It was a no brainer that we would look to strengthen our KPD stocks.

The next challenge is to add KPFs.

I also think that fans look much more short term than the recruitment. The development team and coaches will be focusing on Lewis, Worpel, Morrison, Ross, O'Halloran, The new GC guy, Nash and Glass to step up a level, while the guys we picked up today will be nursed through for a couple of years.
Rubber O'Halloran RIP was a great undersized key defender who specialized in toweling up Hart and Blight in the 1970s. Ollie, Ollie, Ollie, oi, oi, oi :D.

Our inside midfield is quite strong, not sure why people are so worried about that part of our list? One of the biggest reasons why we finished 5th is because Mitchell, O’Meara, Shiels all had career best years. Howe and Worps will get better and you can add The Chad in there now as well!
We need big ugly defenders down back and we got not one but TWO in this off period!! Kosi as a 18 yr old for the future and Mohr as a 30 year old immovable object for the now and let’s not forget Tim Mohr actually has a good set of wheels for a 196/103 guy!!
Really happy with both these additions but still not quite sold on Walker but time will tell.

Our inside midfield is quite strong, not sure why people are so worried about that part of our list? One of the biggest reasons why we finished 5th is because Mitchell, O’Meara, Shiels all had career best years. Howe and Worps will get better and you can add The Chad in there now as well!
We need big ugly defenders down back and we got not one but TWO in this off period!! Kosi as a 18 yr old for the future and Mohr as a 30 year old immovable object for the now and let’s not forget Tim Mohr actually has a good set of wheels for a 196/103 guy!!
Really happy with both these additions but still not quite sold on Walker but time will tell.
It could open doors for Frawley or Brand to drift forward too

We covered Frawley and Brand fine this year despite both missing numerous matches.
Completely disagree.

Frawley played 20 games (12-8)
Brand played 10 games (8-2)
We were 8-1 when they played together. Only loss was to Richmond who played Jack and Caddy/Townsend as their two undersized key talls.

We were 7-9 when one of Brand or Frawley was missing.

You know it makes sense.

Completely disagree.

We were 8-1 when they played together. Only loss was to Richmond who played Jack and Caddy/Townsend as their two undersized key talls.

You know it makes sense.

Interesting stat. I always felt we played better with both, but hadn’t seen numbers. Interesting ‘coincidence’.

Completely disagree.

You know it makes sense.

All that says to me is that we should have played Brand more :)

We went 3-1 when Frawley was missing (or injured early) and Brand took his place.

7-7 when Brand was missing.

Brand wasn't injured just dropped. He came in mainly when Sicily was injured/suspended or Frawley was injured and was 3rd in line otherwise.

In essence, my point was that we had trouble fitting both Frawley and Brand in when fit.

So we are really only looking at using Mohr if both Frawley AND Brand get injured.

With a mid-season draft next year, seems like a wasted pick (albeit a late rookie pick).

Having said that, if we played Sicily forward next year, and had Frawley and Brand both constantly in the team, I can see more logic behind having another backup.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sicily forward is the thing that makes sense. You know it, I know it, he's James ******* Sicily and he belongs near the goals.

And I really like Brand. I know many disagree - but he's a KPP and hasn't even played 40 games. A bit of continuity and I think we'd see him really grow. He's also much better than his British comedian counterpart, Russell Brand.

All that says to me is that we should have played Brand more :)

We went 3-1 when Frawley was missing (or injured early) and Brand took his place.

7-7 when Brand was missing.

Brand wasn't injured just dropped. He came in mainly when Sicily was injured/suspended or Frawley was injured and was 3rd in line otherwise.

In essence, my point was that we had trouble fitting both Frawley and Brand in when fit.

So we are really only looking at using Mohr if both Frawley AND Brand get injured.

With a mid-season draft next year, seems like a wasted pick (albeit a late rookie pick).

Having said that, if we played Sicily forward next year, and had Frawley and Brand both constantly in the team, I can see more logic behind having another backup.

Our backline is far better with two genuine big guys playing on opposition talls. If Frawley OR Brand are injured or out of form, Mohr is there as backup.

He doesn’t just play if both are out, because were that the case we’d be first trying to manufacture a KPD out of Mirra/Glass/Schoenmakers, and then selecting Mohr as the second defensive tall.

That’s crazy talk.

The coaching strategy with Brand is very confusing. He’s often dropped or not picked when you think he would have to be an essential—like 2018 SF after Stratton injury. Instead we see the 186cm Mirra get a shot. To me, the insurance of a bigger heavier backman makes sense, but it seems counter to Clarkson’s insistentence on a full team mobile defence. I admit, I don’t remember a time I’ve noticed Morh play, so he may fit within Clarkson’s structure.

The coaching strategy with Brand is very confusing. He’s often dropped or not picked when you think he would have to be an essential—like 2018 SF after Stratton injury. Instead we see the 186cm Mirra get a shot. To me, the insurance of a bigger heavier backman makes sense, but it seems counter to Clarkson’s insistentence on a full team mobile defence. I admit, I don’t remember a time I’ve noticed Morh play, so he may fit within Clarkson’s structure.
I thought Mohr was an absolute gun early on, but fell off the radar (and out of the team) for the last few years.

And I agree the coaching approach to Brand looks bonkers.

I thought our strategy was spot on.

The dumb move would have been to overvalue Mozzie. We did not get sucked into that.

By the time the third round comes around, you can almost throw out 'best available' and flick to who we can improve. The Murray boys are spread wide and far, they've probably received less development than those in Metro areas.

Mohr is a cheap DFA, like Hendo. The other rooks are skinny kids who all are supposed to have smarts. We can't teach them to think but we can feed them.

On face value, I thought we nailed it.

I can’t wait until all these defenders we’ve just drafted get turned into forwards!
Beats the Ross Lyon approach of doing the reverse!

I thought our strategy was spot on.

The dumb move would have been to overvalue Mozzie. We did not get sucked into that.

By the time the third round comes around, you can almost throw out 'best available' and flick to who we can improve. The Murray boys are spread wide and far, they've probably received less development than those in Metro areas.

Mohr is a cheap DFA, like Hendo. The other rooks are skinny kids who all are supposed to have smarts. We can't teach them to think but we can feed them.

On face value, I thought we nailed it.
Mozzie could be anything - but right now he's a forward pocket who won't play at all in 2019 while he finishes school (as I understand it?) and when you've only got 2 late picks in a draft and some big holes in your list - he's the exact player you DONT use your two picks on.

It's quite possible that he was worth pick 38 to Essendon but not worth Picks 53 and 72 (or whatever our picks ended up being) to us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back