Analysis 2018 Draft Strategy, what was that all about?

Jun 19, 2007
On the south side now
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
nil
Didn’t people question us rookieing Ceglar too? I mean, why would we want some Collingwood reject on our list?
We often pick up older role players with rookie picks. It tends to work well for us because

By the way - Ceglar is an absolute ripper. He needs a breakout game but he's got the talent and work ethic to be a really important part of our side.

Nov 5, 2014
Wherever I leave my hat
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Wondering if a couple of the smarter folk out there could explain what we did with this draft. Drafting Kosi makes sense, trading for Walker, who was passed on by GWS doesn’t.

Then we pass on the ‘real’ draft all of a sudden to load up on rookies. Does this mean we’re fairly happy with a few of the current rookies? Also, Tim Mohr? Where did that come from?
Possible partial reason: As I understand it Rookie selections can be delisted after 1 year whereas ND selections must be kept for at least 2 years. I’m sure that if the Hawks had earlier selections in the ND, and so access to players more likely to make it, they would use more picks in the ND and fewer in the Rookie draft.

Though I can only think of one player (Jarrod Hardisty) that we have recently cut after just one year.

Last edited:

DannyJ

Premiership Player
Sep 23, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
Possible partial reason: As I understand it Rookie selections can be delisted after 1 year whereas ND selections must be kept for at least 2 years. I’m sure that if the Hawks had earlier selections in the ND, and so access to players more likely to make it, they would use more picks in the ND and fewer in the Rookie draft.

Though I can only think of one player (Jarrod Hardisty) that we have recently cut after just one year.
Rookies dont count to TPP.

National draft selections do.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

IdDinglHisDangl

Draftee
Dec 15, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Mohr isn't exactly a depth player, he's more of an extra player to fill in a spot and add plenty of experience and leadership into the group. This is actually a pretty common thing Clarko does and I think it's important that we have as much experience and leadership as we can get to help nurture the younger players we've also taken. Very positive move in my opinion

Lord_Espos

Club Legend
Mar 26, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
49ers, Mets, Pistons, B.Bruins.
There is an interesting article on AFL website about Mick Gibbons from the VFL and how he did not get picked up by a club.

Any thoughts why we might not have rookied him to play With Box Hill and help the development of the Box Hill team?

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
There is an interesting article on AFL website about Mick Gibbons from the VFL and how he did not get picked up by a club.

Any thoughts why we might not have rookied him to play With Box Hill and help the development of the Box Hill team?

the guy from Williamstown? because he looks like a VFL player... he lacks athleticism, height and i think a state career is where he will play his best footy, not all state league players can step up to the next level imo.

Dragz

Club Legend
Oct 13, 2006
Launceston
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Sicily forward is the thing that makes sense. You know it, I know it, he's James ******* Sicily and he belongs near the goals.

And I really like Brand. I know many disagree - but he's a KPP and hasn't even played 40 games. A bit of continuity and I think we'd see him really grow. He's also much better than his British comedian counterpart, Russell Brand.

Agreed, Sicily down back is fine if we're missing Stratts and/or Birchall. But Teams have worked out that you pull him back and isolate him and he's vulnerable.
Would much rather have him up forward.

Agreed, Sicily down back is fine if we're missing Stratts and/or Birchall. But Teams have worked out that you pull him back and isolate him and he's vulnerable.
Would much rather have him up forward.
If Sis didn't hurt his arm and miss the last 6 games of the year he would have been All Australian......so he isn't moving forward

If Sis didn't hurt his arm and miss the last 6 games of the year he would have been All Australian......so he isn't moving forward
Sicily was a liability in the forward line when the opposition had the ball. His defensive pressure was non existent. Leave him back where he has excelled.
Exactly.

Amazing there's so much call to send him forward & watch taller players spoil his marking.

Thanks guys, these are good points.

Last edited:

Hawk_francais

Cancelled
Sep 20, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We have an incredible amount to be optimistic about.

Clarkson has created an environment at our club which allows players to become extremely autonomous and to get the best out of themselves. Just look at what has happened to T. Mitchell since he joined us, and Gibson before him.

Of course it's important who we draft, but I have faith that our recruiters are looking for players who have the hunger to improve. It's been said many times, but we have an great record of finding players to perform a role. Between Wingard, Sicily, Gunston, Mitchell, Scully, Jaeger and Bruest we have all the star power we need for the next five years (plus I'm privately bullish that Worpel, Impey, Morrison, and Hardwick could get to that level).

Nov 5, 2014
Wherever I leave my hat
AFL Club
Hawthorn
We have an incredible amount to be optimistic about.

Clarkson has created an environment at our club which allows players to become extremely autonomous and to get the best out of themselves. Just look at what has happened to T. Mitchell since he joined us, and Gibson before him.

Of course it's important who we draft, but I have faith that our recruiters are looking for players who have the hunger to improve. It's been said many times, but we have an great record of finding players to perform a role. Between Wingard, Sicily, Gunston, Mitchell, Scully, Jaeger and Bruest we have all the star power we need for the next five years (plus I'm privately bullish that Worpel, Impey, Morrison, and Hardwick could get to that level).

I agree and love your comments. Just a few adds:

Mitchell was the near greatest accumulator at underage level (I remember reading 50+ posies before he played AFL) The swans knew that but wanted him to change to fit their mould. Clarko wanted him for what his is and let him thrive. Result: a awesome player. (We all know his hands in-close are golden but his feet are not near diesels)
Gibbo at Norf was the guy that came from the rookie list who hits his head in bathrooms.
At Hawthorn he forged a new story, one of the golden fist and a perfect foot.

Last edited:

Hawk_francais

Cancelled
Sep 20, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The irony of a “defender” being unable to put on pressure at ground level......
It's a total change of attitude with him in the backline. Some of his best plays this year were smothers, tackles, shepherds and rushed behinds. He is such a better team player when the goal posts are further away. We'll still see him regularly swung forward in tight 4th quarters though.

Jiggystoon

Club Legend
Jan 9, 2010
The other side
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Newcastle United, New York Mets
As always the proof will be in the pudding so to speak but I think that we have done very well out of the draft. The additions of Kosi and Walker were really good ones considering the picks that we had. Kosi can become our number 1 key back while Walker has a ceiling as high as anyone that we have drafted in recent years. He can be a genuine match winner for us, the challenge is to get him displaying his talent on a more consistent basis.
Regarding the rookie picks, I have watched a bit of vision from both Will Golds and Damon Greaves, Golds looks a likely type, speedy evasive type who uses the ball pretty well, for a more outside type, I also liked his attack on the man and the contest. Can certainly see why he would have appealed, he was an AFL combine invite so there must have been a bit of interest out there from other clubs as well. As for Greaves, his vision didn’t grab me quite as much as Golds did however he is another that was at the Combine so again he has obviously has his fans in recruiting circles. I didn’t mind the Mohr pick up either, some big bodied defensive depth never hurt anyone.

Overall if you consider our trade period, with the exception of losing Burton I think we have done well. Looking forward to seeing all the new faces in action

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DannyJ

Premiership Player
Sep 23, 2005
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Arsenal
Perhaps we should have held on to Willsmore for yet another year :flushed:
Hahahaha. Insane the amount of people baffled by the Mohr pickup.

A guy with great character and a big body. Farken last rookie pick

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Nov 13, 2018
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He also kicked 30 goals in a season playing as a forward target when he weighed about 75kgs.
People forget how many excellent contested marks he took as a second year player.
His poor run of form as a forward in the early part of 2017 also coincided with a dysfunctional game plan and transitioning midfield that had just lost two senior stars, Mitchell was still finding his feet and O'Meara couldn't get on the park. The reason Sicily moved to defence was because that's where the ball was when we were getting smashed by 10 goals each week!

He is bigger, stronger and more experienced - could easily kick 50 a season or continue his AA defensive form.
Win-Win.

He also kicked 30 goals in a season playing as a forward target when he weighed about 75kgs.
People forget how many excellent contested marks he took as a second year player.
His poor run of form as a forward in the early part of 2017 also coincided with a dysfunctional game plan and transitioning midfield that had just lost two senior stars, Mitchell was still finding his feet and O'Meara couldn't get on the park. The reason Sicily moved to defence was because that's where the ball was when we were getting smashed by 10 goals each week!

He is bigger, stronger and more experienced - could easily kick 50 a season or continue his AA defensive form.
Win-Win.
He's training with the defenders.
He will be a defender.

This will be like "Roughy to CHB" for the next 10 years.

Chizzy

Debutant
Mar 11, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
He's training with the defenders.
He will be a defender.

This will be like "Roughy to CHB" for the next 10 years.

100%. Sicily will be a back but they want him across CHB. As a forward he's just another undersized forward

Back