List Mgmt. 2018 Draft thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

The big doubt would have to be whether or not we could simply remove Murray (if he's banned) from the list and add another player (between December 1 and March 15) under the new rookie rules. I'd say it's very doubtful, and we might have to wait until the mid-season draft. Other clubs that are preparing to add players from Dec. 1 have left spots on their rookie list so they can do just that.

I'd hope the club is fully cognisant of what happens should Murray be banned as expected, and has plans in place accordingly. Not sure whether they'll actually look to list a replacement or not. Time will tell.

I'd hope the club is fully cognisant of what happens should Murray be banned as expected, and has plans in place accordingly. Not sure whether they'll actually look to list a replacement or not. Time will tell.
I'm sure, as professionals, that they'd be all over it. It's not like the slow release of the B sample hasn't given them a bit of time to prepare.

Nobody else wanted him. Why not?
Generally once players are moved on from clubs they often don’t get another go.

Clubs like to go to new fish as a rule.

Who does Knightmare barrack for? Because honestly his constant criticism of Quaynor gets tiring. Real missed opportunity taking two players that other clubs objectively rate as top 30 rather than waiting to use picks in the forties.
What are Knightmare's criticisms of Quaynor?

I agree that picking Quaynor and Kelly seemed preferable to picking up players in the 40's.

It's pretty ordinary bringing Knights support of the club in question. He has an opinion of the players and happens not to be big on one we picked up. Big deal. People are allowed to have opinions. It would be boring if they didn't. It would be dishonest of Knight if he went along with the hype of a player for the sake of it and against his judgement. It doesn't mean he doesn't support the club.
At least Knightmare is not sycophantic and defensive of all things Collingwood. I like his left field views. He is a breath of fresh air.

Perhaps we should also select a fresh fish too.
By all means.
If you can find one hook it in.

I’m all for taking best player available - that simple

I also disagree with Knights assessment of our draft. But I don't call into question his support of the club for it. I don't think it is ordinary that Knight thinks we had a poor draft; it's just his honest assessment.
He is employed as a sportswriter and is meant to be objective, not praise Collingwood's selections just because he is a supporter. There are plenty of BF posters who believe the club can do no wrong without Knightmare adding himself to the list.

At least Knightmare is not sycophantic and defensive of all things Collingwood. I like his left field views. He is a breath of fresh air.
That’s a good thing overall, yes.
Having group think is poor.

Only caveat to that ofcourse, is the other default position, adopted by some:
that everything the club does is bad, every decision the club makes is poor.

Happily KM calls it as he sees it.
Will call it differently or call it the same depending on his view point.

It’s better to have a range of considered views.
Everyone is fallible as anyone else.

You’re lost when you think you’re always right.

As an exercise go back to the DeGoey / Moore draft.
Many including clubs (ours excepted) rated De Goey lower than what he’s shown.
Laverde was more the rage as I recall at our pick.
Now, you’d say De Goey is the best pick of that whole draft (or as close to it as you’d get).

It’s an opinion business.

Our board is blessed to have three outstanding contributors in the field.
KM, Snoop Dog, Pie4Life.

Lots of great info, and we get it for free.

It stuns me that in any way they should be disrespected. Disagree absolutely but with regard and respect.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well Buckenara thinks we did well even if others don't.

Buckenara says: The Pies weren’t huge players but got academy gun Isaac Quaynor and father-son Will Kelly, which caps a terrific off-season for the club. Quaynor can play both tall and small and offers really good rebound off halfback with his pace and ability to take the game on. I know he’s been compared to Bulldog Jason Johannisen but I view him as a similar type to Hawthorn’s Ben Stratton because he can play both tall and small, locks down on his opponent and reads the play really well. He’ll add versatility to the back six in the future because he can be a bit of a Mr. Fix It. Bringing in Kelly as a key defender addresses a big list need and provides supporters with more father-son romance. I like Kelly as a player but he’ll need time to develop, while Quaynor could play some AFL footy next year. Academy player Atu Bosenavulagi was a late pick who’s got a lot of speed and is really hard at the footy.

Buckenara’s verdict: Outstanding off-season for Collingwood. They brought in a star in Dayne Beams in the trade period and drafted two top-30 prospects in Quaynor and Kelly despite trading away their first pick (plus a swap of other picks) for Beams. Huge win. Well done to the club’s recruiting and list management team.

Buckenara says: The Pies weren’t huge players but got academy gun Isaac Quaynor and father-son Will Kelly, which caps a terrific off-season for the club. Quaynor can play both tall and small and offers really good rebound off halfback with his pace and ability to take the game on. I know he’s been compared to Bulldog Jason Johannisen but I view him as a similar type to Hawthorn’s Ben Stratton because he can play both tall and small, locks down on his opponent and reads the play really well. He’ll add versatility to the back six in the future because he can be a bit of a Mr. Fix It. Bringing in Kelly as a key defender addresses a big list need and provides supporters with more father-son romance. I like Kelly as a player but he’ll need time to develop, while Quaynor could play some AFL footy next year. Academy player Atu Bosenavulagi was a late pick who’s got a lot of speed and is really hard at the footy.

Buckenara’s verdict: Outstanding off-season for Collingwood. They brought in a star in Dayne Beams in the trade period and drafted two top-30 prospects in Quaynor and Kelly despite trading away their first pick (plus a swap of other picks) for Beams. Huge win. Well done to the club’s recruiting and list management team.
Today I like Buckenara

:D

Thank you Knightmare . Always enjoy reading your thoughts and appreciate your honesty.

Personally I'm fairly pleased with the net haul from the trade and draft periods and I'm also happy we didn't chase the likes of Patton and Hannebery, but I don't have a shadow of your knowledge of draft hopefuls.

I think this year will make for a very interesting hindsight revisit down the track!

Thank you Knightmare . Always enjoy reading your thoughts and appreciate your honesty.

Personally I'm fairly pleased with the net haul from the trade and draft periods and I'm also happy we didn't chase the likes of Patton and Hannebery, but I don't have a shadow of your knowledge of draft hopefuls.

I think this year will make for a very interesting hindsight revisit down the track!

Hear hear. I think our list is bursting at the seams with quality.

And i agree: thanks for the info and opinions, Knightmare. Keep em coming.

Don't think Hannebery was ever a realistic option. Just on too much coin for us to chase and best may be behind him. And Patton I would not touch after all his injury woes either.

I'm pleased with all our off-season moves even if initially i was against a Beams return. Bringing in Beams could go either way really. But he is a bona fide star when right. Wonderful hands and good in the big moments.

Bring on 2019

If we had kept our first pick it would’ve become 20/21. Next year with things going well it’s likely to be somewhere between 14-20.

Not that big a deal giving up not very high picks for Beams and some picks in the 40s which got us Quaynor and Kelly as well. Pretty good return

Agreed, but I wonder what his verdict would have been if we hadn’t got Beams. The trade for Beams pretty much dwarfs anything else we did.

Agreed, but I wonder what his verdict would have been if we hadn’t got Beams. The trade for Beams pretty much dwarfs anything else we did.
I actually think the Roughead trade is really underrated. Never going to light up the world with his plays but is serviceable depth as a forward, back and ruck. The fact we got him for pick 75 essentially means we got him for free considering we only cared about points in this draft.

Slightly over drafts, picks, points, FS, Academy, future picks, list profile, rookie A and rookie B etc etc.
It’s about 2 months since the GF - another 2 months and it will nearly be the pre-season comp - then we can watch the picks, rookies, Academy boys etc actually play - phew,
Surely 2019 is the year we steal a flag in controversial circumstances......

Slightly over drafts, picks, points, FS, Academy, future picks, list profile, rookie A and rookie B etc etc.
It’s about 2 months since the GF - another 2 months and it will nearly be the pre-season comp - then we can watch the picks, rookies, Academy boys etc actually play - phew,
Surely 2019 is the year we steal a flag in controversial circumstances......
Nothing else to talk about before JLT. Truly the worst time in the footy year is the period between the draft and JLT.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back