List Mgmt. 2018 Draft thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

If we get May, Quaynor and Kelly this off season I think we may be set.

It might cost us a lot but it could also be worth it.

Edit. Apologies if wrong thread. I also put it in the trade thread but wasn't sure which was better for it.

Last edited:
Is he a genuine KPP or ruck fwd / fwd ruck? He's not going to have a senior body for a big guy. Would have to be pretty special otherwise.

What's he going to do in the twos though whilst he's developing? Max Lynch is still growing in the ruck and McLarty has a lot of room to improve.

See what you're saying but after Cox and Mihocek the cupboard for KPP in the forward half is rather bare.

Max Lynch is an outright ruck... not a forward or ruck forward. McLarty is a ruck forward or a key back but not a key forward it seems.

So there is a gap for another 195cm+ developing player who like Cox can potentially play multiple roles in the forward half. Moore could be that player but they are inclined to play Moore down back (if he stays)

See what you're saying but after Cox and Mihocek the cupboard for KPP in the forward half is rather bare.

Max Lynch is an outright ruck... not a forward or ruck forward. McLarty is a ruck forward or a key back but not a key forward it seems.

So there is a gap for another 195cm+ developing player who like Cox can potentially play multiple roles in the forward half. Moore could be that player but they are inclined to play Moore down back (if he stays)

I'm not sure we need to commit players like Moore, Reid, Mihocek and McLarty to definitively forward or back in 2019. Who thought going into this season that Reid would be exclusively forward, Moore back, Mihocek forward, McLarty forward/ruck? Why is there an assumption it will remain static? Isn't that the advantage of having players adapt at both ends?

The only objective in this draft should be to get Connor Rozee imo. The strength of this years draft means he goes from pick 8-10 which makes it achievable too. If things were to go right (he needs to put on weight) then he has the highest ceiling of any of the midfielders in this years draft imo. As it is he fits in really well with how we play and could be able to play regular AFL football next season as a half forward in the WHE mould. We need to get it done.

The only objective in this draft should be to get Connor Rozee imo. The strength of this years draft means he goes from pick 8-10 which makes it achievable too. If things were to go right (he needs to put on weight) then he has the highest ceiling of any of the midfielders in this years draft imo. As it is he fits in really well with how we play and could be able to play regular AFL football next season as a half forward in the WHE mould. We need to get it done.

Why would we need another Forward that is Like WHE,Stephenson,Elliot and JT?

Why would we need another Forward that is Like WHE,Stephenson,Elliot and JT?
because (a) he has considerable scope to move into the midfield further down the track. Or even defence - with his skillset he can play right across the field and (b) you draft best available and at pick 8-10 he is value imo.

I'm not sure we need to commit players like Moore, Reid, Mihocek and McLarty to definitively forward or back in 2019. Who thought going into this season that Reid would be exclusively forward, Moore back, Mihocek forward, McLarty forward/ruck? Why is there an assumption it will remain static? Isn't that the advantage of having players adapt at both ends?

See what your saying... Firstly, I don't count Reid as he is lucky to get on the park for more than a few weeks at a time. Certainly not someone to rely on. And Mihocek being drafted as a defender but excelling as a forward is a fluke. Most big defenders make poor AFL standard full forwards. The only other successful recent one I can think of is McDonald at Melbourne.

We saw this year how we struggled when Cox or Mihocek were missing. That's because raw McLarty and Moore were our only depth in those roles. And the club seems determined to play Moore down back. Once we lose either Mihocek or Cox then, our structure and overhead capability inside 50 greatly weakens.

Overall I think we are one-two KPP short. Competent big defenders are easier to find than competent big forwards. Getting May potentially and drafting Will Kelly will bolster our defence both short and long term, but we are still short a big, mobile 190cm+ forward.

After a couole of years developing kid like Bailey Williams could provide us with a future Cox replacement (Cox turns 28 next year). And in my dreams we will then lure Cameron from GWS at the end of next year...

Last edited:
See what your saying... Firstly, I don't count Reid as he is lucky to get on the park for more than a few weeks at a time. Certainly not someone to rely on. And Mihocek being drafted as a defender but excelling as a forward is a fluke. Most big defenders make poor AFL standard full forwards. The only other successful recent one I can think of is McDonald at Melbourne.

We saw this year how we struggled when Cox or Mihocek were missing. That's because raw McLarty and Moore were our only depth in those roles. And the club seems determined to play Moore down back. Once we lose either Mihocek or Cox then, our structure and overhead capability inside 50 greatly weakens.

Overall I think we are one-two KPP short. Competent big defenders are easier to find than competent big forwards. Getting May potentially and drafting Will Kelly will bolster our defence both short and long term, but we are still short a big, mobile 190cm+ forward.

After a couole of years developing kid like Bailey Williams could provide us with a future Cox replacement (Cox turns 28 next year). And in my dreams we will then lure Cameron from GWS at the end of next year...

This is another thing that baffles me. I'm just not sure why there seems to be growing prophesy that players like Reid won't be available. He'll be on our list in 2019 and I for 1 hope he has a very good preseason and can be an option. I think he's better suited to a KPF than KPD these days but his availability frees us up to use Mihocek more creatively.

Yeah, there aren't as many examples of KPDs who go forward and have a significant impact as there are of the reverse happening but that's looking back. Footy is changing and I think we'll see it more frequently as players are trained for the differing roles. We've seen that this year with McLarty's move forward. Naughton at the Doggies has played both ends. Daw at North. Aliir at the Swans. McGovern at the Weagles. Even Weitering has been trialled. The King twins and Lukosius seem undaunted by which end of the field they play. Even Kelly has worked both ends.

I agree, we need to bolster our KPP stocks, not just for 2019, but for beyond. I can't see us losing any from this year unless they opt not to re-sign the Sack, and we'll likely add Kelly, so we'd already be +1 in 2019 relative to this year. The million dollar question is do we need to recruit an established player or are we best going via the draft? I don't get the urgency that seems to guide a few in their quest for players like May and Lynch or a sense that either defence or forward is any greater priority so I'd personally rather we go via the draft, especially when you look at the age/experience profile of the core group in our "best 22".

Draft and bring in FAs as required would be my mantra.

because (a) he has considerable scope to move into the midfield further down the track. Or even defence - with his skillset he can play right across the field and (b) you draft best available and at pick 8-10 he is value imo.

Stephenson and JT can play thru the Midfield

(Log in to remove this ad.)

tenor.gif

I may have invented the schadenfreudgasm

Since our first pick could be 18 or 19 do u think we might use it as a trade

From what I understand the top 10 or so is pretty strong then its a lottery, so if you cant trade into that top echelon, might be worth seeing what else you can shake loose

Celebration time.

Never ever understood rewarding continuous crap with reward.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back