List Mgmt. 2018 Draft thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Surely even if we have Quaynor rated 25, if someone bids pick 15, we'll probably match anyway? You're not going to get a better player in the 40s!

Can't wait for the melts once it gets to pick 18 and there are no bids yet and there's a good player available.
Melts are a given regardless.

Fairly sure KM would probably give all that up for Lukosious still. Never seen anyone have such a hard on for a draftee.

It perfectly encapsulates Knightmare’s view of the game, IMO. Probably the most astute individual at valuing underage prospects who’s views are for public consumption, but little feel for the subtlety and art of list management.

Like any year, talent has faded in and out. But you’re right a lot have been talked up more than any other year. I still think there are going to be some rippers taken early and later on this year.

KM would still do that any day of the week :p. Has him as his number 1 still it’s just funny that Carlton are probably going to take the wrong guy imo.

Fwiw I think Rozee is going to be the best player of this draft.

It’s absurd though, IMO. I remember having disagreements with posters over the strength of this draft 12 months ago and all it’s done is confirm for me that they can only be labeled in hindsight. Kids at that age fade in and out over the course of 12 weeks (Oliver & Sier) let alone 12 months! It’s a term that should be taboo along with placing our trust in some recruiter...

Surely even if we have Quaynor rated 25, if someone bids pick 15, we'll probably match anyway? You're not going to get a better player in the 40s!

Can't wait for the melts once it gets to pick 18 and there are no bids yet and there's a good player available.

That actually boggles the mind because we clearly don’t rate anyone in that range of the draft. IQ will almost certainly be rated 5-10 on our draft board and the guys still available that the melts will be over will probably sit 12+.

I’m personally an advocate of moving up the draft to the pick range that the NGA/ FS is on our board it just wasn’t feasible this year because of all that flexibility we have ourselves last trade period :rolleyes:

That actually boggles the mind because we clearly don’t rate anyone in that range of the draft. IQ will almost certainly be rated 5-10 on our draft board and the guys still available that the melts will be over will probably sit 12+.

I’m personally an advocate of moving up the draft to the pick range that the NGA/ FS is on our board it just wasn’t feasible this year because of all that flexibility we have ourselves last trade period :rolleyes:

It went north of the Murray...

Maybe I could see Hine Passing IF some Stupid Bid Came

Did lol at the last line.

There'd have to be a fair bit of bluffing going on at this time of year, too. You can just imagine a team like Richmond interviewing Quaynor and telling him that if he's there at Pick 17 they'll nominate him, letting him know that it's up to Collingwood to match or, hypothetically, he's going to them.

I would doubt under draft tampering rules that Richmond or any other club could ask Quaynor "if we were to bid on you, would you be happy to come?" because the answer is either yes or you're breaking the rules, are you not?

At the end of the day, in such instance I would expect Quaynor to go to Hine and Co and let them know that Richmond are contemplating a pick 17 bid. It's up to us as to whether we believe it or not.

This same sort of stuff may influence us or others on their desire to deal in live pick trades?

My head is spinning today, hope this post made sense!

Oh, another thing. Told myself I wouldn't waste my time on this spreadsheet this year given our limited draft hand. Did it anyway.

I did it mainly for my personal interest but thought I may as well share. I don't even know who Davo is on the Draft Board but he had a broad selection of names which helped me sort them.

Additional to this list I have 115 names without ranks yet :think:

There's probably a lot of holes in this such as academies, FS, teams, etc. It's a work in progress, it just depends if I can be f'd going through it!

20181019.jpg

It may be, as MagpieBat suggests here, that we can take Tohill as an international rookie as he is from Northern Ireland. That would free up one rookie spot. I also expect Mihocek gets upgraded once Murray's fate is known.
That would be a great loophole, but I doubt that it exists!!

Hawthorn had two Irish players on their Rookie List in 2018. Conor Glass was classed as Cat. A, Conor Nash Cat B. Glass is from Northern Ireland (County Derry), while Nash is from Ireland (County Meath).

The AFL Record Season Guide and AFL Record (pre-season editions) erroneously listed both as Cat. A Rookies this year. They corrected this in the Record for the rd. 1 edition, and here's how it looked for the Hawks' final game of the season:
upload_2018-10-24_12-8-19.png

upload_2018-10-24_12-10-11.png

It shows Glass as Cat. A (#). and Nash Cat. B (*).

I send quite a few corrections to the AFL every year regarding things they have wrong in their official publications. They invite people to do that via: http://www.afl.com.au/afl-hq/afl-season-guide-updates

One of the things I pointed out earlier this year was to do with some players not being in the correct Rookie category. Michael Lovett passed my query on to Ken Wood, and M. Lovett let me know that what I had suggested was correct and that the changes would be made. This is what it says on the updates page about Nash (the fact that no mention was made of Glass indicated that he was correctly shown as Cat A.):
Club playing list pages

Conor Nash (Hawthorn) – DOB shown as 28/7/89, it should be 28/7/98. He should also be listed as a Category B rookie, not Category A.

Attachments

• upload_2018-10-24_12-10-6.png
    upload_2018-10-24_12-10-6.png
    29.8 KB · Views: 6
Like any year, talent has faded in and out. But you’re right a lot have been talked up more than any other year. I still think there are going to be some rippers taken early and later on this year.

KM would still do that any day of the week :p. Has him as his number 1 still it’s just funny that Carlton are probably going to take the wrong guy imo.

Fwiw I think Rozee is going to be the best player of this draft.
Definitely of the guys < 190cm he and Rankine are clear frontrunners in terms of natural ability. Also still haven't lost faith in Hill although heaps are dropping off.. The other guys like Smith and Walsh are getting overrated imo.

I think a lot of the excitement of this years draft came from the 190cm+ group and maybe the diminishing hype around this draft group has coincided with a conversation on the value of drafting key position players with early picks. Of the key position players I don't think Blakey is getting talked up enough though, he's fantastic.

Itz gunna be soooo gud.

funny-racoon-eating-popcorn-gif-01.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Sam Sturt is still there I might get a little testy - for the record he took Quaynor to the cleaners when they played in each other earlier in the year.

Nice vid on Quanor on AFL.com. Haven't been paying enough attention to him in the past. Only just found out he is a Pies fan :D:D:D

If Ian Hill is still at 18, I might just cry.

In the OP of this thread, almost a year ago now, I wanted Ian Hill.

Nothing much as change.

He’s a mix of Daniel Wells & Cyril Rioli.
Class & X-Factor.

If Ian Hill is still at 18, I might just cry.

In the OP of this thread, almost a year ago now, I wanted Ian Hill.

Nothing much as change.

He’s a mix of Daniel Wells & Cyril Rioli.
Class & X-Factor.

I am not a Fan of Hill.

Sounds Exciting but Massive Go Home Factor

Definitely one for the WA teams to consider, but I wouldn't want us to take the risk (not that we have an early enough pick).

Agree. Think Non-WA Sides be bit Wary of the Go Home Factor with him.

Glad we are not high enough to Pick Him

I don't really get this go home factor as being a reason why you wouldn't pick a player.

To me if he's the player you want you take him. Then it's up to the club to make him want to stay.
If he still doesn't after a couple of years you more than likely get as good if not better compensation.

Tim Kelly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back