#13 Izaac Grant (GWV)
#14 Tye Hourigan (Gippsland)
#15 Jake Van Der Pligt (Gippsland)
#16 Jesse Clark (Geelong)
#17 Riley Ironside (Bendigo)
#18 Marcus Toussaint (Gippsland)
#19 Jimmy Boyer (Murray)
#20 James Schischka (Bendigo)
#21 Darcey Chirgwin (Geelong/Sandringham)
#22 Sam De Koning (Dandenong)
#23 Zac Skinner (Gippsland)
#24 Bigoa Nyuon (Dandenong)
#25 Josh Smith (Gippsland)
#26 Aaron Gundry (Bendigo)

Queensland:

#1 Danial Davidson (Gold Coast)
#3 Hawego Paul Oea (Gold Coast)
#5 Corey Joyce (Gold Coast)
#6 Jack Wingrave (Gold Coast)
#7 Lachlan Barry (Brisbane)
#8 Coby Williams (Gold Coast)
#9 Connor Budarick (Gold Coast)
#10 Jack Moseley (Brisbane)
#14 Will Martyn (Brisbane)
#15 Bruce Reville (Brisbane)
#16 Campbell Aston (Brisbane)

#17 Josh Gore (Gold Coast)
#18 Brandon Deslandes (Gold Coast)
#19 Gracen Sproule (Brisbane)
#21 Matt Fraser (Gold Coast)
#22 Tom Jeffrey (Brisbane)
#23 Sam Butler (Brisbane)
#24 Nick Harberer (Brisbane)

#26 Matt Conroy (Gold Coast)
#27 Ashton Crossley (Gold Coast)
#28 Max Newman (Gold Coast)
#30 Josh Hammond (Brisbane)
#32 Tom Wischnat (Brisbane)
#33 Samson Ryan (Brisbane)

Tozer a noticeable absentee on that list. Anyone have an update on his progress (or lack of it)?

irish

Premiership Player
Sep 20, 2002
hobart
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NHFC demons & SH/SB sharks
Well it's the game for pick 2 this week ! Get done by the Suns ( is that possible ) and you would say with the coast to come that's what will happen ! They will lift against us for sure.. We look very tired and sore last couple of weeks so could be closer than most think

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yeah I'd say it's clear we need quality mids. And not more half forwards we have a bit of a glut of them. Inside mid is the biggest need for me

We did draft 3 last year. We also have McFadyen who we can hopefully get with our third pick.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Not sure that the 3 from last year are all mids. At the moment they are more fwd/mids. Not sure all 3 will transition there full time

That’s true but would apply to anyone we draft this year.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
If we end up with pick 2 and Jack Lukosius is still there I'd be taking him, I agree a greater need is midfielders but he projects to be too good to pass on. We do have a few KPFs but do any of them project to be elite like Lukosius?

The other options would be to take Bailey Smith assuming the Blues take Sam Walsh or we could consider a trade with the Crows who IMO will be desperate to move up to secure Lukosius or Rankine. The Crows currently have pre the completion of this round selections 7 and 15.

Sep 14, 2012
Broadbeach
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I don't see our need for mids being more important that potentially drafting the best talent we have seen in 5 years. Lukosius still fills a need anyways and the likes of Bailey, Rayner, Starc, and Witherden will all progress to be important midfield players for us. FA is great for taking in mature role player mids until our young group are more exprienced. Actually I think our 'desperate' need for a mids is overstated. Also it has been said that we will draft best available player we see no matter the position.

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
If we end up with pick 2 and Jack Lukosius is still there I'd be taking him, I agree a greater need is midfielders but he projects to be too good to pass on. We do have a few KPFs but do any of them project to be elite like Lukosius?

The other options would be to take Bailey Smith assuming the Blues take Sam Walsh or we could consider a trade with the Crows who IMO will be desperate to move up to secure Lukosius or Rankine. The Crows currently have pre the completion of this round selections 7 and 15.

If we have pick 2 I wouldn't be for trading for two later picks. Could come back to bite us ala Melbourne/Kelly. Need to draft as much elite talent as possible while we are down the bottom.

royboys4eva

Premiership Player
Nov 27, 2006
Melbourne - once Darwin.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Yeah we need to pick the best midfielder available with our first selection. Berry and McCluggage are stars in the making but haven't even played 40 games yet. They will need support.

Rayner will be able to go through the middle in time but he is a half forward until he builds a tank that allows him to play midfield for 80 mins. Beams is he staying or leaving ? Zorko is a gun when not tagged. Teams now tag him heavily and we struggle as a team when Zorks can't get the pill. Cutler can play wing and Mathieson adds depth but who else do we have? Keays hasn't looked likely. Starcevich strikes me as a player who if he makes it will take 2/3 years of reserves footy before making an impact.

Draft a gun midfielder from the under 18s and try to get Mitch Wallis from Dogs as a free agent.

Tim F

Debutant
Nov 13, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Dogs winning today means more then
Likely pick 5 will be the worst we can be left with draft wise.

Beats the suns next week and if saints fail to win another = pick 5

Lose to suns and we more then likely have pick 2 In bag although that would put sour taste to the yeAr.

Ideal saints win we win against GC and pick 4. Pick 3 if Gold Coast match any lynch compo.

Tim F

Debutant
Nov 13, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Question marks over the following players for mine .

Bell ( Likely gone)
Bewick ( likely gone)
Lester ( possibly 1 year very cheap though though)
Dawson ( likely gone)
Paparone ( maybe rookie listed )
Keyes - not getting games
Mayes - not getting games .

That’s at least another 4 players turnover minimum I think reckon we to the the well one more time in the draft then load up FA wise.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Live ladder also has the Crows 2 first round selections improving to picks 7 and 12. The Demons could still miss the 8, lose today and then they have the Eagles and Giants to come so their picks could end up as 7 and 9-10.

Back