2018 Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

What’s the history of blokes who have been injured all season being taken in the top 5 of so? Happened much. Huge unknown re: Max King imo

Cerra didn't play much at all in 2016 then his 2017 season got cut short again due to injury. Still went top 5. That's a recent one of the top of my head but I bet if you went back through the drafts you'd find a few instances.

Interesting that Ned McHenry hasn't featured in Cal's form guide. He could be a steal if he's a late second rounder onwards.
My uneducated opinion is that McHenry falls in the 15 to 30 range. Personally I believe he's a late first round talent, but being a smaller player, may slide a little.

If we don't get Lachie Neale and take pick 4-5 & 22-25 to the draft the ones I'd like that have a realistic chance of being available at those selections would be Bailey Smith and Liam Stoker.

Take 4 on draft night- Bailey Smith, Liam Stoker, Thomas Berry and Connor McFadyen + Kiedean Coleman in the rookie draft.

Good picks there Jason. Wouldn't mind the club taking a good look at some mature age state league players dominating too.

Really cant see Smith being available as he is rated around the 2nd best midfielder available.

It was theorised that the Suns take the two SA boys while the Saints take Max. It’s possible, but I still doubt it. Bailey would be a great get if we miss out on Neale. He has inside class which would really help Berry. If we also pick up the other Berry then our midfield core over the next decade would be something like:

McCluggage
Berry
Berry
Rayner
Bailey
Smith
Starcevich

Although one or two of them could end up underachieving, I’m still very confident we can develop or pick up others that can help. If we pick up Neale then we have a veteran AA squad midfielder who will still be able to play for over half a decade.

Interesting to see RCD jump up the rankings. Definitely potential in spades but I wasn't aware his output had increased or anything recently, though I guess I have been looking at trade stuff more than draft for the last few weeks. Considering he gets a lot of word from recruiters there must be some growing interest. Jordan Clark and Stocker rising up fast too whilst McFadyen steadily dropping.

Had 25 touches in a semi final last weekend, pretty sure he had 20 odd touches week before,
I would love Clark with our 2nd pick, (if we still have it, obviously ) quick rebounding defender, long kick, would complement our developing backline nicely, Can see him being picked up in late/mid teens. A fair few " DRAFT EXPERTS " been really talking him up last couple of weeks.

Really cant see Smith being available as he is rated around the 2nd best midfielder available.

Twomey’s well known for considering comments from clubland when pulling how phantoms together. Word for a while is that GC will take both SA boys and avoid the King brothers. I’d say Twomey’s latest phantom is indicative of what he’s hearing.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So if the deal with freo falls over who do we take first pick ?

If it for some reason fell through... I’d be looking Adelaide’s 7 and 15 if they want a shot at getting Rankine.

5 and 22 for 7 and 15. Not exactly sure if it’s 100% fair.

7: Rozee/Caldwell/Hatley
15: Jordan Clark

If it for some reason fell through... I’d be looking Adelaide’s 7 and 15 if they want a shot at getting Rankine.

If we could scrummage up that with Adelaide, surely that would get Neale over the line.
Take 22 to the draft and hopefully no one bids on McFadyen before then which is doubtful at best.

The rating of McFadyen seems to be borne out of an infatuation with big-bodied mids as much as anything. But if you look at most of the assessments of him his areas of weakness seem to be pace and agility. He isn't a ball magnet, nor a prolific goal kicker. Why would he be considered any higher than a mid to late second round pick, at that? At NEAFL level from the vision I have seen, Keidean Coleman is a more exciting prospect.

The rating of McFadyen seems to be borne out of an infatuation with big-bodied mids as much as anything. But if you look at most of the assessments of him his areas of weakness seem to be pace and agility. He isn't a ball magnet, nor a prolific goal kicker. Why would he be considered any higher than a mid to late second round pick, at that? At NEAFL level from the vision I have seen, Keidean Coleman is a more exciting prospect.

Same can be said of Collier-Dawkins .... IMHO .................. oh, and I agree on McFadyen.

I think that’s mostly right, though he’s from a cricket background and has a December birthday so clubs might see extra scope for improvement.

So if the deal with freo falls over who do we take first pick ?

mmmm I’d prefer to keep pick 5.

As has been mentioned there is a lot of talk, supposedly from actual industry sources, that Gold Coast is looking at Lukosius and Rozee at picks two and three.

So I don’t believe Rozee will be available at Adelaide’s first pick.

Also there has been a lot of talk that the Dogs are very keen on Rozee.

I can genuinely see Smith being there at pick 5.

If Rozee does go to the Gold Coast, I don’t believe Smith lasts to Adelaide’s pick.

I don’t believe McFadyen will be bid on inside the top 30. I’m thinking somewhere around pick 40.

Jordan Clark would be a great pickup with our second pick. However he’s unlikely to still be on board with our second pick possibly being pushed back a fair bit.

But there still should be some good kids on board in that range. Very, very few draft watchers have Berry jnr in the top 40 kids, so worst case scenario for me is picking up Berry jnr with our second pick.

I don’t see HBF as a “desperate” need for us. Christensen has shown he can play there, and we still have Cox, Allison and Hinge, one of whom could step up this off season.

And there’s always next year where we could trade or draft for run out of defence.

As has been mentioned there is a lot of talk, supposedly from actual industry sources, that Gold Coast is looking at Lukosius and Rozee at picks two and three.

So I don’t believe Rozee will be available at Adelaide’s first pick.

Also there has been a lot of talk that the Dogs are very keen on Rozee.

I can genuinely see Smith being there at pick 5.

If Rozee does go to the Gold Coast, I don’t believe Smith lasts to Adelaide’s pick.

I don’t believe McFadyen will be bid on inside the top 30. I’m thinking somewhere around pick 40.

Jordan Clark would be a great pickup with our second pick. However he’s unlikely to still be on board with our second pick possibly being pushed back a fair bit.

But there still should be some good kids on board in that range. Very, very few draft watchers have Berry jnr in the top 40 kids, so worst case scenario for me is picking up Berry jnr with our second pick.

I don’t see HBF as a “desperate” need for us. Christensen has shown he can play there, and we still have Cox, Allison and Hinge, one of whom could step up this off season.

And there’s always next year where we could trade or draft for run out of defence.

Madden could also be an option as a running defender

According to Conole, Noble and Fagan it is a need, not sure any have suggested it is a desperate one. If a need is desperate it becomes your first pick and we know it won't be.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back