2018 Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I think at least one more delistiing coming up...Frost
Sticking point is that he's contracted though.

Might be able to delist and re-rookie someone like Lester who has better relations with the club and will probably stick around post playing in a coaching capacity anyway.

Alternatively we may just turn 18, 30 & 35 into two picks as well.

I reckon we'll try to consolidate a number of these excess picks to move up in the draft.
I may as well get the pick trading speculation going (if we indeed want to consolidate - but who knows) - but Geelong seem to have 6 list spots open but only have 12, 50, 59, 60, 70, 87.

18 + 35 + 56 for 12 + 50?

Of course the club might just rate 20-40 in the draft very evenly and be content with 18, 30 & 35.

I may as well get the pick trading speculation going (if we indeed want to consolidate - but who knows) - but Geelong seem to have 6 list spots open but only have 12, 50, 59, 60, 70, 87.

18 + 35 + 56 for 12 + 50?

Of course the club might just rate 20-40 in the draft very evenly and be content with 18, 30 & 35.

Geelong don’t mind those picks at the end of the draft

If we keep what we have got (trade up is on cards though) and delist Frost Id love to see us do this.....
18 Jezz Mclennan (SA) Half Back
30 Conner McFayden (bris acad) Mid/fwd
35 Michael Gibbons (willy vfl) Mid
56 Marty Hore (coll vfl) half back

McLennon has speed, sets up well, can move the ball well off half back, is great overhead. He is a ready made Half Back who could handle smalls.

McFayden we all know about. Strong mid forward who will probably be bid on 25-29 range. If not we may just take him at 35 if he lasts that long.

At 35 we take the best 23yo in the country not playing AFL. Gibbons is a workhorse at the fall of the ball and is very crafty around goals too. Cannot believe he wasn't pre listed by blues or gold coast.

At 56 we take Marty Hore who is a ready made left foot half back flanker who could play 20+ games next year for a number of clubs. Just prey he lasts til 56. Might not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been having a quick look at the current draft order, and how academy and father son bids might impact our picks.

Our pick 18 definitely gets pushed back to 20 with bids on Tarryn Thomas and Nick Blakey. But these bids will only push our second round picks back 1 spot each.

Any other bids on other kids will also push our first round pick back.

A bid on Rhylee West after the Bulldogs pick 27 will push our second rounders back another spot. Bids on Collingwood kids Quaynor and Kelly will push our second round picks back 2 spots.

Similarly bids on West Coasts Jarrod Cameron and Norths Bailey Scott before our 2nd rounders push them back another couple of spots.

I know people say it doesn't matter as we were never a chance to draft those kids, but clubs do factor where those kids are ranked on their draft boards and where the bids might come in, when looking at the potential talent available at certain brackets in the draft.

So if you are looking Twomey's phantom form guide, don't look at the kid at pick 18 as our potential kid. Look at the kid at pick 21, because Twomey has 3 academy kids before 18.

If we look at Twomey's top 30, our pick 18 becomes pick 21. We lose our pick 30 (it actually gets pushed back to pick 34 by the time we have to match a bid on McFadyen) in matching a bid on Connor McFadyen. and our pick 35 gets pushed back to around pick 44 or 45 as we need to borrow points off of it to help match a bid on McFadyen.

Picks in the 40's are hard to work out what happens with them with so many multiple picks being used up to match bids, and possibly up to 8 or 9 kids get bid on in the top 40.

Anyway, my advice is, don't get your hopes up for Thomas Berry, because our draft hand is pretty poo.

So do we pick Curtis Taylor Rayners best mate at 18 ?
Nope not for mine, not sure he gets enough footy and is another half forward we probably dont need to adress. Our problem areas the way i see it are at half back (please take Rich from this position). We need speed, Marking ability, strong tackling, good users and can play to a system. 18 mclennan 56 hore could fill.
We need another genuine in and under mid especially with beams gone. 35 gibbons will be a winner at next level.

To recap my previous post, this where I guesstimate our current picks to end up when you factor in Academy and Father Son bidding and going off Twomey's Phantom Form Guide.

Pick 21 (pick 18 is pushed back because of bids on Blakey, Thomas and Quaynor)
Pick 34 (is used to match a bid on McFadyen)
Pick 44 (Pick 35 get's down graded, having to help use points to match a bid on McFadyen)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back