2018 Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Zorko never got an offer to stay at the Suns. He got passed over until the Lions traded the Suns for him via prelisting - it's unlikely the Suns would've picked him up off their own right.
If the Suns had picked up Zorko they would have traded him by now...like all their other A graders.

So tell me - I have no idea how good he is...are the Lions going to be in the frame to select Tom Berry?
A couple on the DT&FA board (particularly Bicks ) think that he has huge upside and is a better prospect than Jarrod, unfortunately he has had a few injuries of late so hasn't been able to show his best footy. I'd love us to take him.

Zorko never got an offer to stay at the Suns. He got passed over until the Lions traded the Suns for him via prelisting - it's unlikely the Suns would've picked him up off their own right.
Lions premiership player made a big mistake

A couple on the DT&FA board (particularly Bicks ) think that he has huge upside and is a better prospect than Jarrod, unfortunately he has had a few injuries of late so hasn't been able to show his best footy. I'd love us to take him.
Just for the footy romantic I want to take him. If we do then that will be my highlight of the whole draft.

whoops. You didn't quite get what I meant. In their pre-draft/draft year. Zorko got the offer to go to the suns so did Beams, Zorko took the offer beams didn't. Yes your right 3 years later the Suns let Zorko go and we got him free. History repeats itself with Lyons if that's what really happened,

whoops. You didn't quite get what I meant. In their pre-draft/draft year. Zorko got the offer to go to the suns so did Beams, Zorko took the offer beams didn't. Yes your right 3 years later the Suns let Zorko go and we got him free. History repeats itself with Lyons if that's what really happened,

This isn't correct. They weren't interested in pre-listing him back in 2008 after he didn't get picked up in the 2007 draft, although reportedly because he had serious professionalism/attitude problems at that age. He then knocked back an offer to play in the SANFL to stay on the coast and despite playing great footy at Broadbeach for four years they still weren't interested in taking him as a zone selection. When we became interested it ended up only taking a a trade of pick 34 for Zorko and 47, perhaps the best trade in our club's history. Zorks has spoken of his bitterness at them passing him over for so long before.

This isn't correct. They weren't interested in pre-listing him back in 2008 after he didn't get picked up in the 2007 draft, although reportedly because he had serious professionalism/attitude problems at that age. He then knocked back an offer to play in the SANFL to stay on the coast and despite playing great footy at Broadbeach for four years they still weren't interested in taking him as a zone selection. When we became interested it ended up only taking a a trade of pick 34 for Zorko and 47, perhaps the best trade in our club's history. Zorks has spoken of his bitterness at them passing him over for so long before.
This has become an argument on semantics as is the way on Big Footy. The point I was making with out going off on a tangent it that people on here questioned McFadden's commitment as a local kid to the Lions. I was simply pointing out that there are two local kids from the Gold Coast we all know that were/arn't committed to the Gold Coast either. One never liked the local team and never gave them a chance, the other now hates his local team. We are lucky to get McFadden that wants to play for us even if in the past he questioned that. Not that I want to distract you from Google but stay on point.

whoops. You didn't quite get what I meant. In their pre-draft/draft year. Zorko got the offer to go to the suns so did Beams, Zorko took the offer beams didn't.

I got what you meant - it's just that the bold text never happened.

Edit: Here's the list of Qld players the Suns prelisted and kept on their list:

Joseph Daye (2009), Charlie Dixon (2009), Jesse Haberfield (2009), Tom Hickey (2010), Rex Liddy (2010), Marc Lock (2009), Lewis Moss (2010), Zac Smith (2009), Jack Stanlake (2009), Jack Stanley (2009), Rory Thompson (2009), Joel Wilkinson (2010).

GC prelisted and immediately traded Yagmoor and Zorko in 2011.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I'm participating in the BF Phantom rookie draft and just checking who you would like me to select with your 4 and 21 picks.

The national draft selections were completed by cotter101

21 Brisbane - Jezz McLennan
35 Brisbane - Tom Berry

Hi all,

I'm participating in the BF Phantom rookie draft and just checking who you would like me to select with your 4 and 21 picks.

35 Brisbane - Tom Berry
Lions academy HBF Keiden Coleman would have to be one.
And if no one else picked up Hudson Garoni after he was taken off cotter101, then I guess Garoni would be the other choice.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lions academy HBF Keiden Coleman would have to be one.
And if no one else picked up Hudson Garoni after he was taken off cotter101, then I guess Garoni would be the other choice.
Cotters is back in so all good.

I had a look at the phantom on your board, we wont end up with 5 selections you would have thought but of the players still available at those selections I would have went for.
22- Jez McClennan.
32- Connor McFadyen.
36- Sydney Stack.
40- Tom Berry.
55- Michael Gibbons.
Near spot on I like it Ely smith in stack out imo but good selections

Hi all,

35 Brisbane - Tom Berry
Ely Smith at 35 pleasssse

Anyone will be in Melbourne on the 2 nights of the Draft and have some spare cash?

http://m.lions.com.au/news/2018-11-07/be-part-of-draft-night

Get to sit with recruiters on Thursday night during the first part of the Draft, and dinner with them the next evening to talk all things draft related. Sounds like will be great to attend.
I wonder how it will go this year. The feedback that attendees gave us here from last year was so interesting but that was mainly due to the 3 early picks we had.
The Thursday event this year will only be about the first round I assume (surely recruiters won't be giving away their rankings for Friday's draft) so I wonder how much there is to talk about. I guess a bit of hypothetical stuff and where our recruiters rated the first round picks perhaps?

I wonder how it will go this year. The feedback that attendees gave us here from last year was so interesting but that was mainly due to the 3 early picks we had.
The Thursday event this year will only be about the first round I assume (surely recruiters won't be giving away their rankings for Friday's draft) so I wonder how much there is to talk about. I guess a bit of hypothetical stuff and where our recruiters rated the first round picks perhaps?
From the one I attended (2015), it was mainly around cheering when someone slid who we rated more highly than the pick, i.e. Mathieson and Skinner.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back