2018 Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

You scored a decent jumper too IIRC?
Did indeed, but that was due to my inherent draft knowledge (aka combining Twomey and Quaill's mock drafts).

Did indeed, but that was due to my inherent draft knowledge (aka combining Twomey and Quaill's mock drafts).
I ended up with an oversized academy jumper for coming fourth using that same strategy.

I ended up with an oversized academy jumper for coming fourth using that same strategy.

From memory the difference was something weird like swapping the order of Essendon picks that year after - I had the wrong order, but nailed the second pick because they didn't bid on Hopper, whereas you had the right order so ended up off by one on both?

Definitely a good night though.

From memory the difference was something weird like swapping the order of Essendon picks that year after - I had the wrong order, but nailed the second pick because they didn't bid on Hopper, whereas you had the right order so ended up off by one on both?

Definitely a good night though.
That sounds about right, the Essendon picks did cause me some problems. And double up picks again in the top 10 to try and work out.

But agreed, it was an excellent night. Sam Lord deserves a lot of praise for the work he does organising events in Melbourne.

100% we would go Duursma in that scenario. Never though though, we could even pull a rabbit out of a hat at that pick. We do like finding the hidden gems, the players that slide in their draft year because of injury etc. Could be some obscure name we rate in the top 10 that we think we can nab with our first.

Would like Duursma at that pick though, gives a bit of run and carry.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-11-07/podcast-eagles-nominate-lions-brother-cameron-as-nga-pick

This has got to be some dodgy ass s**t. West Coast can take Camerons brother as a NGA. NGA was for non-traditional kids to be picked up, kids who would otherwise not have access to Footy...Pretty sure Camerons brother PLAYED WITH HIM when they grew up together.

The part that annoyed me was him saying that they had largely left him alone this season to play with his club. After all the uproar about GWS and clubs wanting full evidence of their interactions with their academy guys to prove they had been responsible for their development I'd be wanting the same for all these NGA academies. AFL has gone too far on this one

Between Thomas, Scott, Quaynor and Cameron it hasn’t been a great year for the northern academies. Also Setterfield getting traded at a discounted price.

The part that annoyed me was him saying that they had largely left him alone this season to play with his club. After all the uproar about GWS and clubs wanting full evidence of their interactions with their academy guys to prove they had been responsible for their development I'd be wanting the same for all these NGA academies. AFL has gone too far on this one
Not to mention the fact that they have been given access to kids from the traditionally strong football states and most of the indigenous kids at that. If we ever had any advantage from the northern academies it has certainly been well and truly eroded by this NGA farce.

If people would investigate further they would know that the rates of indigenous teenagers dropping out from football and school especially in WA is a massive concern. Do I agree with WC having access to Cameron without dokng much? Absolutely not but North get access to Thomas without following the correct amount of years in an academy as for the northern clubs have to so why is everyone suprised?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has anyone else convinced themselves that if Gold Coast trade picks 3 and 6 for pick 1, that down the track we are a lot more likely to end up with Walsh?

I know he has said he will be a one club player wherever he is drafted, but surely getting drafted to Gold Coast significantly increases our chances of luring him in 2-5 years time.

Has anyone else convinced themselves that if Gold Coast trade picks 3 and 6 for pick 1, that down the track we are a lot more likely to end up with Walsh?

I know he has said he will be a one club player wherever he is drafted, but surely getting drafted to Gold Coast significantly increases our chances of luring him in 2-5 years time.

Mentioned this a couple of months ago. Can see him moving if the club he joins is in a really bad spot. I can see that happening with Gold Coast, very possible he'll leave if he joins them.

If people would investigate further they would know that the rates of indigenous teenagers dropping out from football and school especially in WA is a massive concern. Do I agree with WC having access to Cameron without dokng much? Absolutely not but North get access to Thomas without following the correct amount of years in an academy as for the northern clubs have to so why is everyone suprised?
The North academy in Tassie is pure lip service. I get a lot of "we dont know what this looks like yet".

A couple on the DT&FA board (particularly Bicks ) think that he has huge upside and is a better prospect than Jarrod, unfortunately he has had a few injuries of late so hasn't been able to show his best footy. I'd love us to take him.
The club is keen, Tom is keen, from what I heard you want to use that last pick on him (50s), but it's a risk, obviously. Wouldn't be surprised to see you trade 35 for a couple of later picks, but with Sydney, Collingwood and North holding most of them, and needing them, it might be difficult. Still a chance to get him at 56, I'd say a 60/40, but certainly no guarantees.

Ahoy, just participated as Brisbane for a phantom draft on the Blues board. You ended up with Ned McHenry, Bailey Williams, Connor McFadyen, Tom Berry and Mitch Grigg. Pass or fail?
Yeah we'll only take 4. I'd be rapt to get McHenry although I don't think many here would take him over others that might be available such as Duursma and maybe Butters. If we have two live picks before a bid on McFadyen I think the club would be pretty content. I doubt we will go with Grigg - probably have enough mature agers with Adams, Neale, Lyons and McCarthy coming in.

Last edited:
The North academy in Tassie is pure lip service. I get a lot of "we dont know what this looks like yet".

The reality of that little perler is the Norf academy coupled with the AFLW North Melbourne Tasmanian Kangaroos (otherwise know as the NMTK) is somehow supposed to convince Tasmanians to accept being shut out of having a true AFL/AFLW presence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back