2018 Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Answerth played at least one game in this year's championship for Vic Metro and from memory did OK. Not fast but tough. His brother Kade missed out on getting drafted a couple of years back and also has some talent. Was picked up by Sandringham in the VFL and ended up winning their B&F. There may be more than a grain of truth to our interest. The Answerths are Caulfield Grammar Old boys, as is Twomey, so he may have some inside info there.
Great info thanks for update I tend to believe there's something in this now

Won't happen worried for nothing Alisons been training hard with us if he was going to be picked up cats would've done it by now he's going nowhere
Genuinely curious, how would the Cats have done it by now? Wouldn’t they have had to trade for him?

I hope he stays as I think his athleticism and kicking will play well in the new rules.

Genuinely curious, how would the Cats have done it by now? Wouldn’t they have had to trade for him?

I hope he stays as I think his athleticism and kicking will play well in the new rules.

Delisted free agent like Jarryd Lyons

Im genuinely curious to how you don't know the answer to how a club could get a delisted player by now

You make a good point about the Cats drafting Allison - wouldn't surpise me either. When was the last time such a scenario happened, i.e. one team delisting, offering a rookie spot and another team gazumping?
I'd assume we'd be using our first rookie selection on Allison, meaning only Carlton, Gold Coast, and Kilda Rd have the ability to gazump on him. If they want Bastinac, well, c'est la vie.

Answerth played at least one game in this year's championship for Vic Metro and from memory did OK. Not fast but tough. His brother Kade missed out on getting drafted a couple of years back and also has some talent. Was picked up by Sandringham in the VFL and ended up winning their B&F. There may be more than a grain of truth to our interest. The Answerths are Caulfield Grammar Old boys, as is Twomey, so he may have some inside info there.
Was rumoured we had interest in Ainsworth last year. Espn phantom draft even had us taking him in 2017.

I'd assume we'd be using our first rookie selection on Allison, meaning only Carlton, Gold Coast, and Kilda Rd have the ability to gazump on him. If they want Bastinac, well, c'est la vie.
Can they nominate for just the rookie draft or do they have to nominate for the National draft as well?

Still think we need to target Jez McLennan. If not with our first pick then our 2nd. But doubt he will last that long. Is a right foot Rory Laird type size and stlye of defender. Would fit in almost immediately off hb. Might have to combine 30and a future pick to move up.

Can they nominate for just the rookie draft or do they have to nominate for the National draft as well?
They need to nominate for either the National or PSD. You can't nominate for the Rookie draft on its own. In general people just nominate for the National these days.

Im always facinated by how much change there is in player ratings once the season finishes. Its been two months now since any of them have played footy. However, some, like Butters, Short and Clark have raced up the draft boards, while Duursma, Taylor and to some extent Smith are sliding.
Maybe it's because news filters out about where players are really rated in club land? Rumours swirl about players interviews? Weaknesses are put under the microscope? Late developers get hyped? A combination?

Still think we need to target Jez McLennan. If not with our first pick then our 2nd. But doubt he will last that long. Is a right foot Rory Laird type size and stlye of defender. Would fit in almost immediately off hb. Might have to combine 30and a future pick to move up.
Wouldnt be surprised. Club should have thoughts about where a bid could come. 30+35 for something like 25+52 if they expect a bid before 35. Get our pick earlier (read: better) and still have the points.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So this is where Geelong can pick up Allison, late in the draft.
Geelong's draft picks are currently 12, 50, 51, 70, 83. They have committed to promoting Henry and O'Connor, and 12 is way too high, so 50 & 51 are the picks in play.

Agree to disagree can never have to much depth if it comes to our pick and there's a bigger bodied kid whose played seniors like stocker/valente vs lighter smaller type that hasn't I know who I'd pick
My point was that the lighter, smaller bodied kid might have far greater upside and be the much better player in 3 years time that bigger bodied kid.

Pretty much what the Lions recruiters said when they drafted McCluggage. That he's not physically ready yet, but they expect him to be the best kid from the draft. Same thing was said by Cal Twomey and others before the draft, there were others more physically mature and ready to contribute from day one, like McGrath, Toranto and Ainsworth, but they rated McCluggage as the best kid in the draft.

When picking a kid in the draft, you're not picking for the next season, you're picking for the next 10+ seasons.

Typically you can find mature bodied kids with later picks, like Worpel last year, or where Jack Bytel is projected to go this year. They're often perceived to have less upside, so they slide in the draft.

The main reason a team would want a ready to go player would be if they were a serious contender - which is a few years away for us at least.

Im always facinated by how much change there is in player ratings once the season finishes. Its been two months now since any of them have played footy. However, some, like Butters, Short and Clark have raced up the draft boards, while Duursma, Taylor and to some extent Smith are sliding.
Maybe it's because news filters out about where players are really rated in club land? Rumours swirl about players interviews? Weaknesses are put under the microscope? Late developers get hyped? A combination?
Bailey Smith "slide" is because he's told interstate clubs he does not want to leave Victoria and will leave at the first opportunity if drafted interstate. This has been confirmed by Twomey.

Clark was rated in the mid teens not long after the Championships, and move up people big boards after playing very well in the WAFL finals. It just took some draft watchers longer to move him up their boards.

The AFL Draft Central guys have been guests on a couple of recent podcasts, Matt Balmer on SEN, Twomey on his podcast have all said the same, word slowly gets out from club land where clubs rate kids, and people adjust their phantom drafts to suite to the new information. Butters and Caldwell certainly are two who have climbed draft boards due to clubs rating them higher.

The funny/sad thing is, Knightmare is one of the few who won't change his ratings of players and cops some crap for it. Then does a phantom draft where he expects clubs to draft players, including rumours he's heard and cops crap for not sticking to his ratings. There are other sources I pay more attention to, but Knightmare cops a lot of unwarranted abuse for putting his opinion out there, when he's one of a small minority who actually goes out to see these kids.

The main reason a team would want a ready to go player would be if they were a serious contender - which is a few years away for us at least.
Reality is (in my opinion) is that very few of these kids are genuinely ready to contribute in their first year. Even many of the bigger bodied kids. You do get the odd Sam Powell-Pepper or James Worpel type who have the mature body that can compete, but even then, they make mistakes all young players make. Some of these kids look great in their first year, like Powell-Pepper did, but then they don't appear to progress in subsequent seasons. They are what they are.

I expect some of the bigger bodied kids, like Riley Colier-Dawkins and Jackson Hately, to still take time to adjust. Especially a kid like RCD, he's a tall mid at the junior and AFL level, but he's still not that physically developed within his own body yet when your really look at him. He could be a real Bont type, rather than a Cripps type.

Hately is more ready to compete physically, but I wonder how he will handle the speed of AFL compared to playing SANFL. I genuinely wasn't impressed with a lot of Hately's disposal during the championships, especially by foot where I thought he butchered it a lot.

Not sure it’s the same situation but yes technically they delisted him. Has there been any talk about Brisbane wanting to get rid of Allison? Would have thought it would have happened by now if it was the case
There was talk about Allison possibly wanting to leave to play in Victoria, and the Geelong was the team mentioned as that is where his family is originally from, and where his father might have returned to, and close to where his reported girlfriend lives.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back