2018 Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Only one player at a time wins the ball plus I want more depth on the list zorko McCluggage cameron cutler taylor rich witherden just to name a few on top of neale who's inside and out and the likes of Robertson and Answerth kid can run off half back we all have different opinions come out and name 5 players or you going to take the easy way and bag the club once players are drafted
hmmmm I'm pretty much on record who I'd like and I've discussed why through all 200+ pages here.

hmmmm I'm pretty much on record who I'd like and I've discussed why through all 200+ pages here.
Youve discussed kids who can run but want to develop in the neafl for a couple of years because you believe we have enough midfield depth already and we've disagreed on this in previous posts. I'll stick to my selections that I think will help our list over next 10yrs see what happens draft night

Youve discussed kids who can run but want to develop in the neafl for a couple of years because you believe we have enough midfield depth already and we've disagreed on this in previous posts. I'll stick to my selections that I think will help our list over next 10yrs see what happens draft night
Not for a second do I believe we have enough midfield depth. Nor have you read my posts through the whole thread.

First and foremost I want as much top end talent on our list as possible. If the most talented kid at our first selection is a pressure small forward who can run through the midfield, then that's the kid I want. Similarly if the most talented kid at our first selection is a raw medium forward then that's the kid I want, or if he's a small general defender with leadership qualities, then that's the kid I want. If the most talented kid is an inside bull, then that's the kid I want.

But I also listen to what the club says we need and look to see if there's any of those types around our picks, and understand the need to fill multiple holes on our list with our draft selections.

Not for a second do I believe we have enough midfield depth. Nor have you read my posts through the whole thread.

First and foremost I want as much top end talent on our list as possible. If the most talented kid at our first selection is a pressure small forward who can run through the midfield, then that's the kid I want. Similarly if the most talented kid at our first selection is a raw medium forward then that's the kid I want, or if he's a small general defender with leadership qualities, then that's the kid I want. If the most talented kid is an inside bull, then that's the kid I want.

But I also listen to what the club says we need and look to see if there's any of those types around our picks, and understand the need to fill multiple holes on our list with our draft selections.
I’d disagree strongly that the club wants kids that are ready to go.

It looks like we might just have enough depth to pick the best talent that suits our long term needs and develop them in the NEAFL for a year or two.
I cut n pasted this from your post page 206 seemed to have changed your tune your all over the place with your posts imo

Like Ive said before we'll agree to disagree and move on

Smiths highlights on the draft machine and a few reviews looks and sound really promising. Searched his combine results and they were equally as impressive, top 10 for standing and running vertical jumps, agility test, yo-yo and kicking efficiency. Also completed the 20m sprint in 3.005.

We may have a few younger inside types on our list now, but I wouldn’t be passing on Smith if we rate him highly, too many unknowns.

I’m more concerned about the shady character I heard was attending the Lions dinner on Friday night.;)

Some of the names mentioned for our first round pick sound pretty exciting; looks like we should get a good one.

Not too sure it would be smart list planning to assume both Lyons and Mathieson are going to be regular best 22 players for the next few years. They’ve both got their shortfalls.
Lyons, Mathieson and Keays are certainly all up against it. Mathieson and Keays in particular probably aren't too far from what they were when we drafted them in the first place- is there a cautionary tale there? Of course with Bell gone, Bastinac on the way out and 2-3 of the aforementioned players likely to be gone next year we will need to add more midfield depth, but the question is whether we need to be looking for it early in the draft. I'd prefer to go with something a bit different for no reason other than it seems kinda exciting.

It looks like we might just have enough depth to pick the best talent that suits our long term needs and develop them in the NEAFL for a year or two.
I cut n pasted this from your post page 206 seemed to have changed your tune your all over the place with your posts imo
Why do you think Briz is all over the place? His views are pretty well known and like them or not he’s hardly one to chop and change.

The post you quoted and the then the part you quote from 206 aren’t contradictory. You seem to want to pick a fight with him and not sure what you hope to gain.

Not at all. I think you're misreading my comments. Some of that might be due to not following the discussion throughout the year.

If the best kids available is ready to go, then that's great. But it won't hurt if the kids we draft to spend a year developing in the NEAFL if they can't push their way in to the first team squad. It's looking like we have enough depth now, not to have to throw our top draftees straight in to the first team from round one.

Why do you think Briz is all over the place? His views are pretty well known and like them or not he’s hardly one to chop and change.

The post you quoted and the then the part you quote from 206 aren’t contradictory. You seem to want to pick a fight with him and not sure what you hope to gain.
Not at all ive said multiple times agree to disagree and move on he actually has been quick to question my opinion of players like he did earlier which is his right so I replied which is mine

Not at all. I think you're misreading my comments. Some of that might be due to not following the discussion throughout the year.

If the best kids available is ready to go, then that's great. But it won't hurt if the kids we draft to spend a year developing in the NEAFL if they can't push their way in to the first team squad. It's looking like we have enough depth now, not to have to throw our top draftees straight in to the first team from round one.
No problem we've had our say that's what big footy is about I merely mentioned 5 players Id be happy to see at the club all players drafted need to develop I just want the ones that take less developing thats all

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not at all ive said multiple times agree to disagree and move on he actually has been quick to question my opinion of players like he did earlier which is his right so I replied which is mine
This is a fair comment. I did question Brizzys Squizzy comment to start this discussion, because he had us drafting four inside mids with our first four picks, which I felt was overkill.

I've mentioned in previous discussions that I see some conflict in the Lions drafting Berry jr with a later pick if we're also drafting a mid at our first pick and matching a bid on McFadyen with second or third pick.

We're taking 5 picks to the draft, and I would hope we pick up some outside run and/or run from the backline with one or two of our picks.

If we're drafting a kid like Sam Sturt, McLennan or McHenry with our first pick, then that opens the door for Berry at a later pick. Even Duursma, who can play as a medium running defender before moving in to the midfield in a few seasons time, appears a more comparable draft choice to go along with Berry jr, who can play as medium pressure forward (especially with his elite acceleration, agility and hunger for the contest) who can kick goals, for a couple of seasons before moving in to the midfield himself.

This is a fair comment. I did question Brizzys Squizzy comment to start this discussion, because he had us drafting four inside mids with our first four picks, which I felt was overkill.

I've mentioned in previous discussions that I see some conflict in the Lions drafting Berry jr with a later pick if we're also drafting a mid at our first pick and matching a bid on McFadyen with second or third pick.

We're taking 5 picks to the draft, and I would hope we pick up some outside run and/or run from the backline with one or two of our picks.

If we're drafting a kid like Sam Sturt, McLennan or McHenry with our first pick, then that opens the door for Berry at a later pick. Even Duursma, who can play as a medium running defender before moving in to the midfield in a few seasons time, appears a more comparable draft choice to go along with Berry jr, who can play as medium pressure forward (especially with his elite acceleration, agility and hunger for the contest) who can kick goals, for a couple of seasons before moving in to the midfield himself.
And I'd be happy with duursma and the like that you mentioned was just under the impression that mcfayden can play forward aswell as midfield and berry jnr has played off half back in tac cup the others I mentioned would be steels at those picks may be Ive been over thinking it too much getting to excited at draft time

Seems a few mock/phantoms have Duursma going to Port leaving us with Smith/Taylor/Sturt.

I’m guessing Ely Smith.

Well Pie 4 Life I may well owe you an unreserved apology and retraction shortly, if things go the way they're reported. Lions into Ely Smith. That is an odd one... Noble always gets me. He says one thing to supporters, then does another - outside run, pace, and a half back, hey?

Still not sold on Smith - I think if you want to reach for a player, they'd better be in your needs, and I don't see how that fits at all. We're going to end up at Gold Coast style ratio of inside with nothing outside. Bailey looks promising, but otherwise... Not sure what we've got. Cox is probably closer to delisted than recontracted. List getting slower, which is strange given our game style.

Well Pie 4 Life I may well owe you an unreserved apology and retraction shortly, if things go the way they're reported. Lions into Ely Smith. That is an odd one... Noble always gets me. He says one thing to supporters, then does another - outside run, pace, and a half back, hey?

Still not sold on Smith - I think if you want to reach for a player, they'd better be in your needs, and I don't see how that fits at all. We're going to end up at Gold Coast style ratio of inside with nothing outside. Bailey looks promising, but otherwise... Not sure what we've got. Cox is probably closer to delisted than recontracted. List getting slower, which is strange given our game style.

Quality pre draft melt. Taking things to a new level this season.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back