2018 Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

It's way too early to be predicting where most of these players will go in the draft bar a small group who will be top ten to first rounders. As much as we admire Jarrod (getting a man crush myself) has anyone seen his brother Tom play?
I watched two of the Rebels games on youtube last year. Not that that counts for much. And not that I was watching for Berry younger specifically.

AFL Victoria usually stream at least one game each round.

And if you read the regular draft watchers, from last year, a common theme was that Thomas looks to be a better midfield prospect than Jarrod. But I'm guessing some of this view will be based on what Jarrod did at TAC cup and U18 Vic Country level playing more as a general defender, where as Thomas has played midfield.

Last edited:
I watched two of the Rebels games on youtube last year. Not that that counts for much. And not that I was watching for Berry younger specifically.

AFL Victoria usually stream at least one game each round.

And if you read the regular draft watchers, from last year, a common theme was that Thomas looks to be a better midfield prospect than Jarrod. But I'm guessing some of this view will be based on what Jarrod did at TAC cup and U18 Vic Country level playing more as a general defender, where as Thomas has played midfield.
Who do you think looks better at the same level? Jarrod or Thomas.

Who do you think looks better at the same level? Jarrod or Thomas.
As much as I like following the draft, I'm in no way a judge of talent.

I tend to read what the genuine draft watchers write, and go back and watch the kids where possible. Last year I watched mostly Worpel and a bit of LDU, Dow and Rankine. Berry's year, I was watching Brodie and Ainsworth.

So I haven't a clue which brother looks the better at the same level.

Since last year, I've taken much more notice of what Matt Balmer writes, and the AFL draft central team, than any other draft and TAC cup/U18's commentator. Balmer was the first to talk about LDU as being a top draft 5 talent last year. There are a few guys on the draft board who watch a lot TAC cup football and one or two who watch a lot of SANFL. Each year the number of watchers/contributors grows, and the discussion this year easily surpasses what I've seen in previous years.

I tend to watch/pay attention to the kids I'm interested in, so didn't watch any of Jarrod at TAC cup or national U18 level.

I do agree with SizeMatters that Berry could climb draft boards if he can remain injury free (from memory, all his injuries are due to putting his body on the line and not holding back. The kid's not injury prone or has one of those bodies. He just puts his body on the line and doesn't protect himself)

But I also agree with jjami15 that there's a long season to go.

Jarrod. Was touted as potential pick 1 in his underage year and for good reason. Injuries left him behind in his draft year.
Thomas is going to be a gun though as well.
Was he? Never knew that. I believe knightmare last year said that he believed Thomas was the better mid prospect. I know Thomas missed a lot of last year due to injuries, but was captain of Vic U16's the year before. On preseason rankings, knightmare is the only draft watcher I'm aware of that has Thomas Berry in his top 20.

Was he? Never knew that. I believe knightmare last year said that he believed Thomas was the better mid prospect. I know Thomas missed a lot of last year due to injuries, but was captain of Vic U16's the year before. On preseason rankings, knightmare is the only draft watcher I'm aware of that has Thomas Berry in his top 20.
Very early on he was in the mix and was part of the conversation and his junior year in the national champs was quite good but he was playing as a HBF. I liked him a lot from those champs but his senior was quiet and also had some injuries. In regards to his brother I look forward to seeing some vision and hope to see him (and plenty of others) in the national champs.

Very early on he was in the mix and was part of the conversation and his junior year in the national champs was quite good but he was playing as a HBF. I liked him a lot from those champs but his senior was quiet and also had some injuries. In regards to his brother I look forward to seeing some vision and hope to see him (and plenty of others) in the national champs.
YouTube. There’s at least two games from last season of GWV Rebels. Berry jr wears number 13. Gets the first clearance from the opening bounce in both games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The AFL really panders to the traditional footy states ,meanwhile Brisbane have to build everything from scratch ,where Ruby leagye still has a stronghold . The AFL could change the zones at anytime could they not or does Eddie McGuire have veto powers,whom I believe is the true CEO of the AFL. Utter ,Utter disgrace.The haves vs the have nots. What NGA zones does Brisbane have? Know wonder why lions fans are so disillusioned and cynical of the AFL.

Rankine has been suspended for 3 games after striking an opponent in a SANFL trial game. He can be pretty ill-disciplined from what I’ve seen.

Rankine has been suspended for 3 games after striking an opponent in a SANFL trial game. He can be pretty ill-disciplined from what I’ve seen.
Was going to post the same thing, read it while sitting in the doctors waiting room.

5 down to 3 from two separate incidents in the one game.

Get him up North ;)

brown2_0304a_1000.jpg

Was a little discussion about this kid early this year on the draft page.

Some of the regular TAC watchers have him in their top 5 in the preseason comp.

My early gut feeling is this draft will be strong with top end talent, and run deep.

West Coast sure had some big balls trading out of this draft.

They still have Gaff and McGovern to bring them back in. Both seem to be hovering at 4-5 year, multi million dollar deals according to all the speculation articles. Made me think trade out could have been a pre-planned move knowing they'll get first rounder(s) anyway.

I wonder if we can convince a club from the top 8 this year to swap their first round pick for our 2019 first.

Waiting for 2018 to be called shallow soon and 2019 as the super-mega-deep-draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back