2018 Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

It'll be interesting to see how the rest of the champs go and eventhough today's stream was the first one that I've watched fully I've been a little bit disappointed overall with the standard of footy. The players with class like Lukosius and also Rankine don't have to do much but you can see that they have 'IT' factor. Walsh is being played predominantly inside and think that doesn't suit his game style and you could see when he had the chance to move he looked better. Pleasingly it's good to see others who impress. Haven't been overly impressed with Berry and think that he currently stands as a later second rounder. Can understand why clubs have a number at games to watch cause you definitely can't keep up with every player.

Walsh just hasn't excited me yet. Will be a 200 gamer but will probably be like a Andrew Brayshaw type of player. Well rounded but doesn't have any outstanding attribute. Still worthy of a top 5 pick at this stage though IMO.
Would you take the chance and go Izak Rankine if we don't get Lukosius or would you take the safer option in Sam Walsh or Bailey Smith?

Would you take the chance and go Izak Rankine if we don't get Lukosius or would you take the safer option in Sam Walsh or Bailey Smith?

I think it comes down to our current mids and what we need. We've got Rayner and Bailey who carry some X-Factor qualities, McCluggage who is a silky all rounder and Berry who is the rugged inside mid. I'd argue we'd need another all rounder like McCluggage to give us a nice mix of inside and outside talent.

Rankine would be a gun small forward who can impact in the middle in bursts. As we have Rayner, I'm not sure if he'd be a need or a luxury. I'd lean towards the latter.

Smith could certainly be a good option, but is a better all round talent than Walsh? I don't think so at this stage. Not that I'm an expert by any means, but Walsh has a strong ability to impact both the inside and outside and seems to have the art of balancing the two down really well. Almost instinctive by the way he plays.

Personally, I haven't seen Smith to make a call but there is one thing with Rankine is that he will do things that will win games. Walsh, as I said before should be playing more outside in the champs and did see Swift I believe go to him at throw ups and put body on him all the time. Do think that Walsh is also suffering from the fact that the VicC mids aren't overly big in size.

I reckon we desperately need pure mids, don't reckon rankine will be under consideration for our first pick.
I reckon walsh/ Smith with our first pick, if they're not around maybe hately for his clearance work.

Berry played down back which is making his worth harder to judge. Also liking valente in the mix for our 2nd rounder think he had like 14 tackles & a few clearances today.

I reckon we desperately need pure mids, don't reckon rankine will be under consideration for our first pick.
I reckon walsh/ Smith with our first pick, if they're not around maybe hately for his clearance work.

Berry played down back which is making his worth harder to judge. Also liking valente in the mix for our 2nd rounder think he had like 14 tackles & a few clearances today.
Absolutely, believe that jpm might have stated that recruiters look for things or passages of play and not so an entirety of a match. I still think that Walshs's class is what separates him from others but I think that there will be more 'inside types' at our second pick more than outside.

Absolutely, believe that jpm might have stated that recruiters look for things or passages of play and not so an entirety of a match. I still think that Walshs's class is what separates him from others but I think that there will be more 'inside types' at our second pick more than outside.
I reckon the 1st round of this draft will be pretty predictable. Once we know what pick number we end up with I reckon we will have a pretty good idea who we will get.
Worst case is we finish above carlton & GC (x2 picks) they also need mids. then end up with the lukosious, Walsh Smith all gone by our pick. Then do we take a tall or small forward or the next best mids in hately or collier-dawkins

There will definately be some gems available in that 2nd round. Wouldn't be the worst thing to get a bonus end Rd1 priority pick this year. Hopefully we benefit from.suns, Carl & St.K all being s**t.

I reckon the 1st round of this draft will be pretty predictable. Once we know what pick number we end up with I reckon we will have a pretty good idea who we will get.
Worst case is we finish above carlton & GC (x2 picks) they also need mids. then end up with the lukosious, Walsh Smith all gone by our pick. Then do we take a tall or small forward or the next best mids in hately or collier-dawkins

There will definately be some gems available in that 2nd round. Wouldn't be the worst thing to get a bonus end Rd1 priority pick this year. Hopefully we benefit from.suns, Carl & St.K all being s**t.

That is about as bad as a worst case scenario could get. I think the days of any team getting a priority pick before the rest of the teams get their first pick is gone. If anyone has proved it doesn't really make a difference it's Carlton, kissed on the dick so many times with priority picks and still holding up the ladder.

That is about as bad as a worst case scenario could get. I think the days of any team getting a priority pick before the rest of the teams get their first pick is gone. If anyone has proved it doesn't really make a difference it's Carlton, kissed on the dick so many times with priority picks and still holding up the ladder.
Yeah a pick 19 helps but is unlikely propel a team into greatness. We were able to do a lot with pick 19. There's no need for pick 1 PPs anymore.

Realistically stk Carl & GC are the only teams we can finish above so worst case we get pick 5.
Stk might take a tall in one of the kings. Although they do need mids as well.
Suns choking was so annoying. Would be a safe move to finish below them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Isn’t this supposed to be a super draft?
With quite a few of the top end talent being KPF’s or small forwards or already tied to other clubs.

We wait and see if some of the supposed second tier mids push up towards the top of the draft like Taranto did a couple of years a go.

Yeah a pick 19 helps but is unlikely propel a team into greatness. We were able to do a lot with pick 19. There's no need for pick 1 PPs anymore.

Realistically stk Carl & GC are the only teams we can finish above so worst case we get pick 5.
Stk might take a tall in one of the kings. Although they do need mids as well.
Suns choking was so annoying. Would be a safe move to finish below them.

Yep priority picks will be a thing of the past. You can see by the way Swann has moved to us & Evans has moved to the GC that back end support is where it is at for the teams that are struggling & I think that's a smart way of doing it. If the AFL was to ask us what assistance we needed, rather than a priority pick, I'd be inclined to poach whoever the hell it is at Sydney who identifies their rookie list talent.

Yep priority picks will be a thing of the past. You can see by the way Swann has moved to us & Evans has moved to the GC that back end support is where it is at for the teams that are struggling & I think that's a smart way of doing it. If the AFL was to ask us what assistance we needed, rather than a priority pick, I'd be inclined to poach whoever the hell it is at Sydney who identifies their rookie list talent.
Dunno I'd take a PP
Walsh, valente & berry would be a decent haul

Considering the quality of the top end talent in this draft I still think we need to find a way to get a second top 10 pick and that might mean trading our first round 2019 pick. I can see us really struggling in the back half of the year and think we will almost certainly finish bottom 2. Lukociois has to be front and centre of our mind if we end up with first pick. And then mids galore after that. Walsh will go top 5, Hately top 10. We desperately need an inside mid, especially if rumours prove true and Dayne beams does request a trade back to Victoria.

Considering the quality of the top end talent in this draft I still think we need to find a way to get a second top 10 pick and that might mean trading our first round 2019 pick. I can see us really struggling in the back half of the year and think we will almost certainly finish bottom 2. Lukociois has to be front and centre of our mind if we end up with first pick. And then mids galore after that. Walsh will go top 5, Hately top 10. We desperately need an inside mid, especially if rumours prove true and Dayne beams does request a trade back to Victoria.

If Dayne does request a trade (which I personally don't see but you never know) then we may not need to trade next years first round pick to get a top pick this year.

If Dayne does request a trade (which I personally don't see but you never know) then we may not need to trade next years first round pick to get a top pick this year.

Honestly, I’d still be looking at trading next years first either way. With where we are at, the quicker we get young talent in the better off we are with an extra years development. We need to be starting our climb next year. Can’t afford another 1-11 midway season result.

Load up this year if at all possible, almost all agree that the top end of this draft is one of the best for a while.

I also agree with cotter, we need to have 3-4 wins at this stage next year or the pressure will start coming on our man Chris Fagan.

Honestly, I’d still be looking at trading next years first either way. With where we are at, the quicker we get young talent in the better off we are with an extra years development. We need to be starting our climb next year. Can’t afford another 1-11 midway season result.
I do kind of agree, but at the same time, by all reports, it is next year that we will possibly look at trading for players. If we have nothing decent to trade next year then we will only get the scraps anyway.
The only way we then get in either picks or players is by trading one of our own, which we don’t really want to do.

I do kind of agree, but at the same time, by all reports, it is next year that we will possibly look at trading for players. If we have nothing decent to trade next year then we will only get the scraps anyway.
The only way we then get in either picks players is by trading one of our own, which we don’t really want to do.

Or trade future picks again

I go back and forth in regards to this decision
Screw it, all in. You can see the impact of McCluggage, Berry and Witherden can make when you get it right. If we are able to do the same with at least another 3 that will go along way to get out us out of the bottom of the ladder. I would even do it if we were to lose player like Beams. It's not a given that they will become players and will take time but if you take into account the continued development of players that are on our list 5 years and under and with these further additions then we are moving up quicker than we are.
The only way we then get in either picks or players is by trading one of our own, which we don’t really want to do.
Or trade future picks again
Yep

(First up, I'm sitting here on a small holiday Island in the Gulf of Thailand with a monsoon that has been raging outside for the better part of 2 hours)

I've said it here before, I would trade our 2019 first round pick for a pick in the 11 to 15 range this year.

It's highly doubtful that a team with a pick in the 5 to 10 range will trade their pick, unless it's a team with an NGA kid or Father Son kid who looked like losing their first round pick having to match a bid. In which case they would look to maximise value and trade their 2018 first round pick and trade it for a 2019 first round pick. They would also want to receive a early-ish 2018 second round pick back (to make sure they have enough points to match the bid on the NGA or F/S kid), and trade out their 2019 second round pick.

So Brisbane trade out our 2018 2nd and 2019 1st round picks, and receive 2018 first and 2019 second and we'd ask for a 3rd round pick back as well to balance out the points somewhat, as we are giving up picks early in each round and receiving back mid to later picks in each round. I'd be asking for a 2019 3rd round pick, because there is still the possibility we might have to match bids on one or two moderately to highly rated academy kids.

I have a couple of concerns for the draft this year.

First, I'm not sure it's looking like a Super Draft this year.

There was a post on the draft board early in the year by a new poster claiming to be a recently released recruiter from an AFL club, (now we can question whether some random is legitimate when they claim to be a scout, regardless) the point of his post was that this years draft lacked in top end talent from Victoria, and that in a normal year, yes Victoria supplies ~65% of the drafted kids, and that includes the majority of top end talent as well.

Without Victoria supplying the usual number of high end recruits, we can hardly call this year a super draft. Not only is Victoria not supplying it's usual percentage of top end talent, but there is a general lack of depth throughout the draft of kids from Victoria, and this years draft will be very dependent on kids from outside Victoria to supply the depth in the draft.

I know it's early in the U18 Champs, but I believe we have already seen how shallow both Vic teams are on genuine star power.

My second concern is that a lot of the teams who look likely to have early draft picks are all looking for midfield depth and there being a real possibility that our first round pick might end up after the genuine top class mids are gone.

Yes I know we are stepping in to the (not so) murky waters of wins meaning more to team culture than loses do to acquiring talent through the draft.

The last few drafts have seen the top 10 dominated by mids, with the exception of 2015 with Weitering & Schache going early. This year, (personal opinion coming up) currently I see only two genuine top class mids in this years draft, in Sam Walsh and Bailey Smith. The rest of the top talent are KPF's, small forwards or tied to other clubs as NGA and/or Northern Academy prospects.

After the first 3 picks, Lukosius, Walsh, Smith, I'm more inclined to want to trade pick 4 for say Adelaide's first two picks, currently pick 8 and 15, and am happy to send a 3rd round pick the other way as well. Depending on compensation picks handed out during the trade period, there could be other teams that might be able to put a similar package together.

Picks 8 & 15 would just about garuentee us being able to draft two of the second tier mids in this years draft, from amongst Jackson Hately, Connor Rozee, Curtis Taylor, Ned McHenry, Xavier Duursma, Chace Jones, Riley Collier-Dawkins, Jye Caldwell or Luke Valente.

(First up, I'm sitting here on a small holiday Island in the Gulf of Thailand with a monsoon that has been raging outside for the better part of 2 hours)

I've said it here before, I would trade our 2019 first round pick for a pick in the 11 to 15 range this year.

It's highly doubtful that a team with a pick in the 5 to 10 range will trade their pick, unless it's a team with an NGA kid or Father Son kid who looked like losing their first round pick having to match a bid. In which case they would look to maximise value and trade their 2018 first round pick and trade it for a 2019 first round pick. They would also want to receive a early-ish 2018 second round pick back (to make sure they have enough points to match the bid on the NGA or F/S kid), and trade out their 2019 second round pick.

So Brisbane trade out our 2018 2nd and 2019 1st round picks, and receive 2018 first and 2019 second and we'd ask for a 3rd round pick back as well to balance out the points somewhat, as we are giving up picks early in each round and receiving back mid to later picks in each round. I'd be asking for a 2019 3rd round pick, because there is still the possibility we might have to match bids on one or two moderately to highly rated academy kids.

I have a couple of concerns for the draft this year.

First, I'm not sure it's looking like a Super Draft this year.

There was a post on the draft board early in the year by a new poster claiming to be a recently released recruiter from an AFL club, (now we can question whether some random is legitimate when they claim to be a scout, regardless) the point of his post was that this years draft lacked in top end talent from Victoria, and that in a normal year, yes Victoria supplies ~65% of the drafted kids, and that includes the majority of top end talent as well.

Without Victoria supplying the usual number of high end recruits, we can hardly call this year a super draft. Not only is Victoria not supplying it's usual percentage of top end talent, but there is a general lack of depth throughout the draft of kids from Victoria, and this years draft will be very dependent on kids from outside Victoria to supply the depth in the draft.

I know it's early in the U18 Champs, but I believe we have already seen how shallow both Vic teams are on genuine star power.

My second concern is that a lot of the teams who look likely to have early draft picks are all looking for midfield depth and there being a real possibility that our first round pick might end up after the genuine top class mids are gone.

Yes I know we are stepping in to the (not so) murky waters of wins meaning more to team culture than loses do to acquiring talent through the draft.

The last few drafts have seen the top 10 dominated by mids, with the exception of 2015 with Weitering & Schache going early. This year, (personal opinion coming up) currently I see only two genuine top class mids in this years draft, in Sam Walsh and Bailey Smith. The rest of the top talent are KPF's, small forwards or tied to other clubs as NGA and/or Northern Academy prospects.

After the first 3 picks, Lukosius, Walsh, Smith, I'm more inclined to want to trade pick 4 for say Adelaide's first two picks, currently pick 8 and 15, and am happy to send a 3rd round pick the other way as well. Depending on compensation picks handed out during the trade period, there could be other teams that might be able to put a similar package together.

Picks 8 & 15 would just about garuentee us being able to draft two of the second tier mids in this years draft, from amongst Jackson Hately, Connor Rozee, Curtis Taylor, Ned McHenry, Xavier Duursma, Chace Jones, Riley Collier-Dawkins, Jye Caldwell or Luke Valente.
Just something small here, you bring up the Victorian teams not having as much star power but both teams have hardly gone with their very best teams so far in the champs. Metro in particular was missing a number of players through injury or just managed such as Max King, Riley Collier-Dawkins, Liam Stocker, Alastair Richards, Joe Ayton-Delaney they should have played Will Kennedy to take the heat of Ben King on the weekend. Country are still rather poor but where missing Mitch Riordan, Jye Caldwell and for some reason they don’t want to play Berry in the midfield and in my opinion would be making a huge difference especially with their superior rucks.

Sorry for the rant it was only a small thing I took from your pretty well put post. I don’t think you will have much trouble finding some decent midfielders in the second round onwards but if you want key position players it really does fall away massively after Lukosius and the Kings.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back