2018 Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

We hear flight risk with Rankin, just as we heard that with Rayner. With our youth signing on, and the upwards trajectory of the team, I doubt there is a better place for a high draft pick to come to. If you were him would you prefer the Coast or the Blues?

If he is available, grab him I say.

If Carlton doesn't trade 1 and Rankine is there at our pick hard to see one of the SA clubs not trying to engineer a trade, live trades will add another dimension to draft day

Please let there be live trading this year.
Imagine having pick 4 and Rankine is still on the board and Adelaide come to us with a package for pick 4. We could easily ask for the anything - ie picks 8 & 13 and next years first. Otherwise we get Rankine who along with Rayner could cause alot of damage and headaches for the opposition.

We hear flight risk with Rankin, just as we heard that with Rayner. With our youth signing on, and the upwards trajectory of the team, I doubt there is a better place for a high draft pick to come to. If you were him would you prefer the Coast or the Blues?

If he is available, grab him I say.

The exception doesn't prove the rule though. That an oversimplification of the situation, but the recruiters are in a better space to know and if he's available and we overlook him him it might be a big indicator. They could possibly have other knocks on him (e.g. defensive effort, character) but he looks to have more natural talent than anyone else available.

With Rankine, unless we have someone we do rate higher available as well we should take him. First pick should be to take the best player remaining. If he is a flight risk, so be it. Yeah we could get burnt, and we might not. We have to have faith that a successful team and good culture will help those players in wanting to stay. If we take someone like Rankine, and right when we start to have success, he wants to leave, then I would think we wouldn't want a player like that at the club anyway. Take him if he is there.

Yeah, the Lions have a current resurgence of swagger and belief. I like the statement of taking Rankine and backing ourselves in.

Best case scenario we have another decade of Aker-like on field brilliance in front of a packed Gabba crowd.

Worse case scenario we have Port or Adelaide giving us basically a full refund in 2 years.

Yeah, the Lions have a current resurgence of swagger and belief. I like the statement of taking Rankine and backing ourselves in.

Best case scenario we have another decade of Aker-like on field brilliance in front of a packed Gabba crowd.

Worse case scenario we have Port or Adelaide giving us basically a full refund in 2 years.
I agree we should go for it. He's too good not to take the punt. As for getting a full refund if he wants out, that seems unlikely. In a bidding war maybe, but if he does a Polec and nominates which of the two SA clubs he wants, we are immediatley going to be short changed.

I just don’t see the point in us, as supporters, worrying about the go home factor with potential drafteees. Sometimes, there is an overwhelming body of evidence to suggest someone is going to be a massive flight risk but, most of the time, we jump at shadows - and it it pretty pointless.

I agree we should go for it. He's too good not to take the punt. As for getting a full refund if he wants out, that seems unlikely. In a bidding war maybe, but if he does a Polec and nominates which of the two SA clubs he wants, we are immediatley going to be short changed.

I don't think we'll be significantly shortchanged if he delivers on his talent early, and shows his value. Which he certainly looks capable of doing.

The problem with Polec, Aish, Docherty, Yeo etc is that they didnt quite do that, for reasons of injury, opportunity, development etc.

We're already talking in hypotheticals of Adelaide offering us a sweet offer on draft night in order to get Rankine. I don't think too much would change in that regard if he is still as promising of a prospect in 2 years (with a 2 year apprenticeship under his belt).

Quality young players like Treloar and Boyd still delivered handy trades after nominating clubs.

I’m such a scenario he’d nominate Adelaide.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we’d get more on draft night than in two years time. Don’t believe we’d get a pick 5 back, not even a top 10 pick. Adelaide aren’t the Gold Coast.

In 2020 we should be playing finals. That will help keep Rankine and even if he does leave it'll only be a minor setback as long as we keep together our current group.

I just don’t see the point in us, as supporters, worrying about the go home factor with potential drafteees. Sometimes, there is an overwhelming body of evidence to suggest someone is going to be a massive flight risk but, most of the time, we jump at shadows - and it it pretty pointless.
Fair enough, but this is a draft thread and the go-home factor, although sometimes exaggerated (e.g. Rayner), is a factor worthy of discussion especially around here. So far as we can tell, recruiters do address it in pre-draft interviews and in their backgrounding of potential draftees; it's not the be all and end all, but a matter to consider when choosing between potential candidates and therefore not an unworthy subject.

I agree
I agree
Oooh, not so much. History would beg to differ. I'm sure you don't need an example.

Still, two out of three ain't bad.

I'd be very happy if we could somehow nab one of Bailey Smith, Sam Walsh or Izak Rankine with our first.

We need Ben King to have a huge end to the season.

Oooh, not so much. History would beg to differ. I'm sure you don't need an example.

I gave examples (both ways). If Rankine players 30+ games in his first two years and shows his star potential, he wont be a Docherty or Polec trade. I'm confident we'd get a top 10 pick minumum.

I gave examples (both ways). If Rankine players 30+ games in his first two years and shows his star potential, he wont be a Docherty or Polec trade. I'm confident we'd get a top 10 pick minumum.
Yep. I was just catching up with the reading, having loaded the page a while back, and didn't see the conversation having flowed out already.

Sadly, I do think he'd be a Polec/Docherty type trade. Our at least an Aish type trade, where we got reasonable compensation, but in lower picks instead of a nice high pick.

I'd say that he could win the rising star, set the game alight, and realistically in two years, if he's out of contract and nominates Adelaide, we'd get back somewhere near pick 15. Just the way it works - they hold the power, we don't.

Yep. I was just catching up with the reading, having loaded the page a while back, and didn't see the conversation having flowed out already.

Sadly, I do think he'd be a Polec/Docherty type trade. Our at least an Aish type trade, where we got reasonable compensation, but in lower picks instead of a nice high pick.

I'd say that he could win the rising star, set the game alight, and realistically in two years, if he's out of contract and nominates Adelaide, we'd get back somewhere near pick 15. Just the way it works - they hold the power, we don't.

So the Treloar, Weller and Boyd trades arent swaying you at all? You're a negative chap.

I think we have to get used to player movement as reinforced by Dangerfield wanting player movement to be more like in the NBA.

It'd hurt for him to leave after 2 years but maybe in that trade period we use that pick to get a more established midfielder.

I think we have to get used to player movement as reinforced by Dangerfield wanting player movement to be more like in the NBA.

It'd hurt for him to leave after 2 years but maybe in that trade period we use that pick to get a more established midfielder.
I don't follow the NBA but somebody posted earlier that players can be traded against their wishes, I'll bet you Dangerfield doesn't want it to be NBA like in that regard.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back