2018 Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the issue wioth the NEAFL is that it is pretty bad. They probably wouldn't develop very well when compared to the VFL of SANFL. We also see that when a player does well in the 2's, they often get found out when in the seniors, mostly the speed of the game.
There was a noticeable change in the tempo of the NEAFL this year.
We struggled to play the possession style of game that we did the year before due to the pressure increase throughout the whole competition.
We will adjust to that this year and be better for it.
The comp may be lacking in skills but the intensity and effort was definitely there.

Others from the post draft function might be able to confirm my memory, but I'm 95% certain Andrew Farrell said Sydney were going to take Smith with their next pick (25). It was 23 or never.

Berry Jnr was similar.
Interesting - hadn't heard that, so thanks for sharing. Certainly would provide some good context to why we didn't look at trading down. Does seem like a Sydney style pick too, so wouldn't be a stretch.
Asking for clarification from others is a bit rich coming from someone who has posted nothing but assumptions like other sides didn't want him, you don't know that for a fact wanting duursma when he was taken before our pick saying the club didn't or should've traded up to get him even though the club have said they tried had no takers I respect that smith wasn't your first choice your absolutely entitled to have that view.
So if your there and have pick 21 name me a player please that you would've picked.
Yes, I've had assumptions, and I've stated them outright. Of course I don't know what every club would've done, and I never suggested I did.

On Duursma, I said I'd have liked the club to trade up, but reports were that we tried, so fair enough. I specifically said that I wasn't going to criticise the recruiters for refusing to overpay in order to move up the boards.
Not sure how only us inviting Smith means that other people were not going to take him early in the second round - wouldn't it just mean that no one else was interested in taking him in the 1-18 zone?
It doesn't imply anything for the second round picks, and I explicitly stated that it didn't. I was trying to ascertain, based on which players were invited to the draft, whether Smith was even a backup consideration for any of the clubs around our pick in the first round. Of course I have no idea what clubs in the second round wanted to do, and was explicit about that.

AFL Draft Central's draft guru's Pete Williams' take on the Lions draft...

https://www.afldraftcentral.com.au/2018/11/26/afl-draft-review-brisbane/

BRISBANE entered the draft to just top up its depth across the field, picking up predominantly inside-leaning players, but also those who are versatile and slide either forward or back to enable a flexible best 22 when all have developed.

National Draft:

Ely Smith – Inside Midfielder

Smith was a late call-up to the National AFL Draft night, and the rumours that Brisbane invited him were true with the Lions selecting him in the first round. Smith has enjoyed a terrific season for the Murray Bushrangers, going from virtually unknown in draft calculations, to a first round pick. He famously missed out on Vic Country selection, then received a late call-up there too, to show off at GMHBA Stadium in the final game. What Smith brings to the table is his terrific hands and vision in close, often winning the ball at the coalface and dishing off to a teammate on the outside with a no-fuss approach to his football. He is ready to go if required, and is a good size as that prototype midfielder.

Tom Berry – Medium Utility

It was almost the draft’s worst kept secret, with Brisbane keen on obtaining Jarrod Berry’s younger brother. They got their man, and Tom is a player who can play anywhere on the field. He needs to sharpen up his kicking, but has elite speed and agility which adds a point of difference to the Lions midfield. Berry, like his brother, does not take a backwards step, and he will attack the ball with vigour every time he goes near it. He can start off at half-forward, before transitioning into the middle, and has those athletic traits that few others possess. Not quite as tall as Smith, but a little bit quicker as well.

Tom Joyce – Inside Midfielder

Brisbane are not afraid to pick a West Australian after taking Brandon Starcevich last year. Joyce missed the year through injury, but as a member of the AFL Academy, he has plenty of runs on the board through junior football. While Joyce is a little on the short side for an inside role, he has terrific leadership and will add to the ever-growing culture at the Lions. He could become that pressure forward, or play a defensive role. It might have been a bit of a surprise selection given the Lions’ inside-leaning two picks prior to Joyce, and with McFadyen to come, but he does have different traits to the others.

Connor McFadyen – Inside Midfielder/Forward

McFadyen was always likely to head to the Lions, and is that inside midfielder who possesses similar speed and agility to Berry. He uses the ball better than Berry, but could also use his athletic gifts more effectively in a game. He is a blank canvas in many ways, with his consistency an area to work on, but he has some traits that very few have, being a great overhead mark for his size, and an ability to play a role similar to Jordan De Goey at Collingwood out of the square or in the guts. He has more of an impact up forward than the other selections, which is his point of difference here.

Noah Answerth – Medium Utility

A value get late in the draft, Answerth is that player all clubs need. Not flashy, but can just get the job done with very few deficiencies in his game. He can play back, forward or midfield, and he will play an offensive brand of football, or lock down if you need him to. After a horror back injury in 2017, Answerth put his best foot forward in 2018 and captained the Oakleigh Chargers to a grand final in the TAC Cup. Like many of the others selected, Answerth is a natural born leader and has a no-fuss approach to his football.

Rookie Draft:

Ryan Bastinac – Balanced Midfielder

The former North Melbourne midfielder was redrafted by the Lions as a rookie, and offers some good depth to an ever-strengthening midfield. Bastinac can play elsewhere around the ground, and the Lions were always keen to hold onto him.

Jacob Allison – Tall Utility

A former Brisbane Lions Academy member, Allison was always viewed as a long-term prospect, so while he is still developing, the Lions have moved him from the senior to rookie list, and will continue to work with him.

Summary:

Brisbane have certainly targeted tough, uncompromising leaders who are never going to take a backwards step. The players they picked up are not necessarily going to feature on too many highlight reels – bar perhaps McFadyen or Berry with their speed and contested marking – but will be those fan favourites they can rely upon. When a club is ascending up the ladder, teams need reliable players who they can turn to and know what they will produce each week. These selections are just that, but are also players who can slot straight into the best 22 if needed. Expect them to share games between them in 2019, and all of them could be future leaders either on or off the field, or both.

Last edited:
....Had they selected someone else would they have footage showing how keen they were/are on said player?
I'm sure they would have, but the phrasing of some of the conversations on O'Halloran doesn't leave much doubt, e.g. saying he will be their pick 19 in no uncertain terms, implying how confident they were that no one else would take him, whereas their references to Caldwell were always "if he slides" and "if the Bulldogs take Smith and GC take King" and Hately was "we think Butters goes between our picks" (paraphrased).

I'm sure they would have, but the phrasing of some of the conversations on O'Halloran doesn't leave much doubt, e.g. saying he will be their pick 19 in no uncertain terms, implying how confident they were that no one else would take him, whereas their references to Caldwell were always "if he slides" and "if the Bulldogs take Smith and GC take King" and Hately was "we think Butters goes between our picks" (paraphrased).

Yeah, I was being cynical ...I do like they have an open platform of the inside think tank

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This might interest you guys...Not too sure about the Tom Berry : Defender bit unless I've been watching another Tom Berry play the last few years
Recruiter Gary Buckenara analyses every club’s 2018 draft haul

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/spor...l/news-story/e5b98ed38bc8c4b14a487db6e789a400

BRISBANE LIONS
DRAFT PICKS

21. Ely Smith: Midfielder, 188cm, 87kg, Murray Bushrangers

36. Thomas Berry: Defender, 185cm, 76kg, GWV Rebels

40. Tom Joyce: Midfielder 181cm, 80kg, East Fremantle

42. Connor McFadyen: Midfielder, 189cm, 93kg, Brisbane Lions Academy

55. Noah Answerth: Defender, 184cm, 80kg, Oakleigh Chargers

ROOKIES

4. Ryan Bastinac: Re-listed

21. Jacob Allison: Re-listed

Buckenara says: Interesting picks from the Lions. I had Ely Smith in my top 50 (at No.31) but Brisbane took him earlier than expected — he was probably a bit of a bolter because he had a strong end to the season and tested well at the draft combine. He’s got good speed and is a real competitor, so will add some grunt to the midfield. I really like the selection of Tom Berry, who’ll join his brother Jarrod at the club. It looks like the Lions are trying to get a group together that are either close friends or brothers who’ve got talent to help with retention and to limit the go-home factor given they also tried to get Charlie Cameron’s brother Jarrod but unfortunately West Coast matched the bid for the next generation academy player. One of the biggest wins was that their own academy player, Connor McFadyen slipped to No.42. There’s no doubt the Lions would have been ecstatic he slipped down that far. He’s the modern-day midfield prototype at 190cm and 81kg.

Buckenara’s verdict: Brisbane would be happy with their picks after addressing a list need in bringing some pace into the club. McFadyen at No.42 is a great result.

McFadyen like Smith is well developed for an 18 YO
Connor+McFadyen+Allies+vs+South+Australia+GZ0LNX2VfTvl.jpg

McFadyen & Smith just look like good old fashion footballers. Really looking forward to seeing what this draft class can do on the field. More so than most years for some unknown reason.

What concerns me a little is Matt Balmer (who then passes the information on to pie for life) having such good intel on our draft picks ahead of the first and second round. That's information that really should be kept in-house.
With all due respect, there are two arguments here:

1) It's a little insulting to think that you think that Matt Balmer is the only one I talk to within the industry. Yeah, we talk often, but at the end of the day, we are still publishing content on separate sites, and I am not one to take everything I hear and just publish it here. Hell, I only had my own draft thread this season for that exact reason, I'm not one to share what I know unless asked, and prefer to keep what I know quiet so I have the opportunity to publish on ADC.

In regards to the Ely selection, before it was leaked, Balmer and I had rounded it down to either the Lions and Tigers anyway, and then it was a coin toss and we heard Lions.

In regards to the other selections - Berry did not come from Balmer. I heard that from another source, completely unrelated to him - ironically another AFL club recruiter. I chat to multiple people across clubs both AFL and TAC Cup.

There's nothing the media will know that other clubs don't. You have to remember, if it gets to the media, the clubs already well and truly know.

2) I'm also more than happy not to post anything on BigFooty if fans did not want it, but my guess is more than often people want to know as much intel as they can about what their club is doing. I could just be like 95% of the people on the PD board who don't talk to anyone and just "guess", but I don't see how that helps?

I've also been told complete crap from some people where they say "Club X will 100% not pick this player" and then they do. So even then, you can't trust everything you hear.

This isn't meant to be aggressive or anything, and of course I always appreciate your support, but yeah it's a little insulting to assume that there's a direct line from Balmer -> me -> BigFooty. There's plenty of stuff I don't ever post on here that I hear.

1) It's a little insulting to think that you think that Matt Balmer is the only one I talk to within the industry. Yeah, we talk often, but at the end of the day, we are still publishing content on separate sites, and I am not one to take everything I hear and just publish it here. Hell, I only had my own draft thread this season for that exact reason, I'm not one to share what I know unless asked, and prefer to keep what I know quiet so I have the opportunity to publish on ADC.

In regards to the Ely selection, before it was leaked, Balmer and I had rounded it down to either the Lions and Tigers anyway, and then it was a coin toss and we heard Lions.

In regards to the other selections - Berry did not come from Balmer. I heard that from another source, completely unrelated to him - ironically another AFL club recruiter. I chat to multiple people across clubs both AFL and TAC Cup.

There's nothing the media will know that other clubs don't. You have to remember, if it gets to the media, the clubs already well and truly know.

2) I'm also more than happy not to post anything on BigFooty if fans did not want it, but my guess is more than often people want to know as much intel as they can about what their club is doing. I could just be like 95% of the people on the PD board who don't talk to anyone and just "guess", but I don't see how that helps?

I've also been told complete crap from some people where they say "Club X will 100% not pick this player" and then they do. So even then, you can't trust everything you hear.

This isn't meant to be aggressive or anything, and of course I always appreciate your support, but yeah it's a little insulting to assume that there's a direct line from Balmer -> me -> BigFooty. There's plenty of stuff I don't ever post on here that I hear.

You are welcome on this Board from my perspective...no issues with me whatsoever - I enjoy your insights!

Sorry Pie 4 Life , 100% not what I intended or to insinuate. I'm well aware of how much you talk to recruiters, TAC coaches and other people in the industry for your information.

I also understand, that while you and Matt talk, that you work for different publications now.

My post was meant to be purely from a Lions draft perspective and protecting information. Especially in the new world of live draft night/day pick trading. I'm a big fan of the Philadelphia 76'ers and their ex General Manager Sam Hinkie. Hinkie was notorious for not letting information out of the club in regards to trading and drafting, as he saw it as a competitive advantage, and for using information about other clubs to gain an advantage during the trade period and the draft.

I understand that AFL is a smaller sport in some regards, and that clubs will have a good idea of what other clubs are up to.

Certainly do not want to see you to stop posting on BF or sharing information.

Again, I apologise for any offence I may have caused, I certainly didn't intend for it.

Sorry Pie 4 Life , 100% not what I intended or to insinuate. I'm well aware of how much you talk to recruiters, TAC coaches and other people in the industry for your information.

I also understand, that while you and Matt talk, that you work for different publications now.

My post was meant to be purely from a Lions draft perspective and protecting information. Especially in the new world of live draft night/day pick trading. I'm a big fan of the Philadelphia 76'ers and their ex General Manager Sam Hinkie. Hinkie was notorious for not letting information out of the club in regards to trading and drafting, as he saw it as a competitive advantage, and for using information about other clubs to gain an advantage during the trade period and the draft.

I understand that AFL is a smaller sport in some regards, and that clubs will have a good idea of what other clubs are up to.

Certainly do not want to see you to stop posting on BF or sharing information.

Again, I apologise for any offence I may have caused, I certainly didn't intend for it.
So how does one feel about Bryan Colangelo and his stuff up with Markelle Fultz, were some reports that when he went out and did his trial at Philly that there were some who were not wanting him. Oooops

So how does one feel about Bryan Colangelo and his stuff up with Markelle Fultz, were some reports that when he went out and did his trial at Philly that there were some who were not wanting him. Oooops
Hated the appointments of the Colangelo's. I used the term Snake in the Grass on a Philly forum when he was appointed.

But Markelle Fultz is a different discussion. More than a year before his draft, Markelle was viewed by many Philly fans as close to the perfect compliment to Simmons and Embiid from his AAU and Prep play. His play during college didn't change anyone's opinion from this.

However his workout with the Sixers was a different matter as his shooting mechanics had changed since college. Reportedly he was trying to work on a higher and faster release. There were some concerns surrounding this in the organisation, which have been borne out.

Why anyone signed off on Jerry Colangelo's blatant nepotism hiring Bryan is a mystery. Bryan had already screwed up one #1 pick, and they let him screw up another.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back