2018 Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Why anyone signed off on Jerry Colangelo's blatant nepotism hiring Bryan is a mystery. Bryan had already screwed up one #1 pick, and they let him screw up another.
Fultz was a a consensus #1 pick and based on his college year should have been a great fit with the 76’s.

Colangelo has had some misses but every GM in the NBA has had a few.

He also picked up Kyle Lowry, Demar Derozen and Ben Simmons in drafts so has some decent picks up his belt.

Fultz was a a consensus #1 pick and based on his college year should have been a great fit with the 76’s.

Colangelo has had some misses but every GM in the NBA has had a few.

He also picked up Kyle Lowry, Demar Derozen and Ben Simmons in drafts so has some decent picks up his belt.

Unless he was somehow working for Houston when they drafted Lowry, I don't think so.

Ely Smith sold his soul to the devil for his rugged good looks and unparalleled football ability. Shortly after the transaction was finalized, Ely Smith kicked a football into the groin of the devil and took his soul back. The devil, who appreciates irony, couldn't stay mad and admitted he should have seen it coming. They now play poker the second Wednesday of every month.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Forgot how cringeworthy this was, lmao.
God, I forgot about that mess. Ironic though considering how many of the draftees of that year have already signed contract extensions and have formed a part of the new club culture.

God, I forgot about that mess. Ironic though considering how many of the draftees of that year have already signed contract extensions and have formed a part of the new club culture.
Makes you think it was bigfooty posters who wanted to find fault while the players didn’t care.

Confirmation that we looked to trade up to get Duursma at http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-11-29/how-2018s-biggest-draft-shock-almost-didnt-happen:

Duursma offered something a little different, which was why a couple of clubs, including Brisbane, were eyeing him off with possible deals as the night unfolded.

Sounds like there were a few decent offers for those later first round picks, the Saints offering a similar deal to Carlton and being rejected was interesting. Can understand why we weren’t able to land another pick if that was the buy in.

Really hard to actually believe that Stocker was rated that high by Carlton, sounds more and more like a line to simply justify a risky trade. Was semi-believable when it sounded like he fell from their top 10 and the opportunity presented itself, but the fact the trade was pre-planned, they offered the same deal to GWS (for a pick after Richmond, who were really keen on Stocker) and now rated the 6th best, I see some SOS magic going on.

By the time next year comes around and Adelaide are sitting on a top 3 pick, Stocker would have been rated equal to Walsh.

From our point of view, happy we were active but didn’t overpay to secure a deal, still got a good haul too. I know a few circumstances lined but seeing the offers for that first pick of day 2, I’m happy we have the sun second rounder.

What I found interesting is that we didn’t look at any run and carry players with one of our earlier picks, prioritising inside mids.

Noble on the post draft Roar Deal podcast, saying this is still a need.

Next years draft looks to have a few more outside mids and HBF with speed.

What I found interesting is that we didn’t look at any run and carry players with one of our earlier picks, prioritising inside mids.

Isn't Duursma a bit of a run and carry type player? We were definitely pretty keen on him, and KM talks about him being an aggressive runner.

It's the old Kansas City Shuffle, get everyone looking right while you go left. :cool:

Isn't Duursma a bit of a run and carry type player? We were definitely pretty keen on him, and KM talks about him being an aggressive runner.
Yes he is.

But he’s playing for another club.

So if we listen to Noble on the post draft Roar Deal, we still need run and carry out of defence, outside run in the midfield, and interestingly enough, another target up forward.

Ely Smith sold his soul to the devil for his rugged good looks and unparalleled football ability. Shortly after the transaction was finalized, Ely Smith kicked a football into the groin of the devil and took his soul back. The devil, who appreciates irony, couldn't stay mad and admitted he should have seen it coming. They now play poker the second Wednesday of every month.
The last sentence

Remove this Banner Ad

Back