2018 Draft thread

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
On that same Roar Deal, they posed the question of whether they considered a bid on Jarrod Cameron with the Tom Berry pick. I wonder if that would have worked or West Coast still would have matched. I guess it was only a few picks higher than the eventual bid, so they probably would have. Perhaps better they didn't, could have reminded someone that McFadyen was still available and caused us to miss out on Berry.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
Very happy with our draft haul overall.

I hadn't followed Ely Smith much at all pre draft but he sounds like a terrific prospect and I have full trust in our recruitment teams decision to pass on the likes of O'Halloran and McClennan who were the next 2 taken after Ely and I was keen on.

Thomas Berry, you bloody beauty, so stoked we have this guy on board and not only because of the sibling connection, IMO he will be a gun. There was no one still on the draft board who I would have taken before Tom.

Tom Joyce again don't know much about him and I would have taken Jack Bytel or Jack Ross who were taken just after him, although probably only because I knew more about them.

McFadyen was a no brainer match, high hopes for this guy.

Noah Answerth could be the steal of the draft, our annual draft slider gem.

Fagenslions36

All Australian
Jun 14, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I know we shouldn’t even care anymore but beans given 4 years at Collingwood pretty long for a 29 year old who has struggled with durability . In end I think this will be a win for us . Can anyone tell me what picks we have acquired for next year . I know we got pies first 14-18 range and gcs second probably pick 20. This with our 2 as well . Surely we would be looking to package these up to a higher pick?

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
I know we shouldn’t even care anymore but beans given 4 years at Collingwood pretty long for a 29 year old who has struggled with durability . In end I think this will be a win for us . Can anyone tell me what picks we have acquired for next year . I know we got pies first 14-18 range and gcs second probably pick 20. This with our 2 as well . Surely we would be looking to package these up to a higher pick?
Apparently the main reason Beams was given 4 years at the Pies is because they couldn't fit him in the salary cap if he got the same money he was on with us over the next 2 years so they spread the payment over 4 years to fit him in.

We don't have our own first rounder next season that belongs to the Dockers... I think:huh:
2019-
588931_0adf0445d077ca4a5052461c6bd1ff52.png

We don't have our own first rounder next season that belongs to the Dockers... I think:huh:
Gold Coast - that's the pick 4 they've got in that chart.

The most interesting thing from Lore's chart is that despite trading out our own first round pick (assumed to be pick 4, but most likely later) we still have a very good draft position going into next year - 4th best based off some simple assumptions.

Yes he is.

But he’s playing for another club.

So if we listen to Noble on the post draft Roar Deal, we still need run and carry out of defence, outside run in the midfield, and interestingly enough, another target up forward.

When I heard that I wondered if the needs he identified couldn't be filled from the current list? From memory it was speed and good ball use from defence, intercept marking and a finishing/polished forward. Speed/use from defence there's Cox, Madden, Allison and maybe Bailey, though I think we have other plans for Bailey. Intercept marking we identified during the trade period by bringing in Adams who is strong in that area and also expressing the desire to be able to use Harris in a more McGovern-like role. One more distributor that could intercept would be valuable. Allison or Hinge perhaps? And for the forward I think getting more games into Rayner and a fit Charlie should give us more of the goal kicking we're after to complement our talls. Also have McCarthy who if gets his body right could definitely add a lot to the forward line. All areas we'd like more depth in but I think there's the possibility we have options already on our list to fill those holes he specified.

Dec 1, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
The most interesting thing from Lore's chart is that despite trading out our own first round pick (assumed to be pick 4, but most likely later) we still have a very good draft position going into next year - 4th best based off some simple assumptions.
Mainly through quantity not so much quality. Still would rather be in our draft position than Collingwoods.

I also kinda like that we don't have an early first round pick tbh. For so long we've been down the bottom that you sort of have one eye towards the draft even before the year begins. Can really put it out of mind to a fair degree now and just enjoy every win. It'll be great to have absolutely no discussion about whether or not we should/shouldn't have beaten an opponent just because it might make our pick one spot higher.

And there is potentially enough value in 17, 20, 22 to move back up the draft if we wanted to.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
It will be even better when Collingwood implode next season and entertaining viewing as well.

Mainly through quantity not so much quality. Still would rather be in our draft position than Collingwoods.

That's not a bad thing for a couple of reasons:
  1. We have to use three picks so having at least three early picks is a nice benefit.
  2. We potentially have to use six or so picks, looking at our out of contract players, so being concentrated in that front end helps too.
  3. Having more picks, rather than one early shot, mitigates the chances of a draft miss.
  4. It increases our flexibility to move up (and down, bearing in mind academy prospects) the draft if we do want to target that earlier talent.

Oct 13, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
  1. We have to use three picks so having at least three early picks is a nice benefit.
  2. We potentially have to use six or so picks, looking at our out of contract players, so being concentrated in that front end helps too.
  3. Having more picks, rather than one early shot, mitigates the chances of a draft miss.
  4. It increases our flexibility to move up (and down, bearing in mind academy prospects) the draft if we do want to target that earlier talent.

Increases our ability to trade for players too. You can of course trade down from say pick 4-10 but having a late first and two seconds plus an additional third gives us great scope to get deals done next year and still retain a reasonable draft hand.

If you're right about the six picks and we lose Hodge to retirement and potentially delist Bastinac and Robinson, we will still have closest to the youngest list in the league (but with a very good core of players at or about to reach their peak).

Nice draft position. Gives us options. I think we have the real high end draft talent we need, i think we can still add to our list and bring in some good players with those kinds of picks. But it allows us to maybe trade for a player and still have a pick in the 20s in the draft, or trade up in the draft if there is someone we really like.

Going forward we are in a position where we can chase trades and FAs to get players we want, or worst case just go back to the draft.

In terms of free agents next year, Haynes, Coniglio, Nic Nat and Shiels are probably the pick of the crop. Coniglio probably goes to Perth if anywhere and Haynes is apparently a Saints boy.

Back