2018 Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Lions Flag 2020

Club Legend
Jul 18, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Jeeze the 2018 draft talent is looking very good. Maybe it was a super draft. Could be the first major mistake by our current administration to choose to not participate at the pointy end of the draft. I commented at the time that it felt like we were getting impatient. We had built such a solid base that another draft of high end talent might have been the difference in long term sustainable success.

Jeeze the 2018 draft talent is looking very good. Maybe it was a super draft. Could be the first major mistake by our current administration to choose to not participate at the pointy end of the draft. I commented at the time that it felt like we were getting impatient. We had built such a solid base that another draft of high end talent might have been the difference in long term sustainable success.

We should be working on Walsh already for 2 years time, and the other top notch talent were talls/South Australians, but it would be nice to have a few of what we've seen getting around so far on our list.

Not saying you're wrong, but it's realistically way too early to make that call. Need at least a season of exposed form before we'll have any indication either way - probably two or three seasons really.

I think Caldwell is who we would've taken if we had #5 so I guess he or Rozee (who actually went at #5) will be the ones to watch if you want to play that game. We were never any chance of getting Walsh, Rankine or Lukosius anyway so any speculation about them is pretty irrelevant.

Bobby Beecroft

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 25, 2003
Junction Oval Goalsquare
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Brisbane Lions THFC
I'm sure Essendon would love to with their first pick, Hugh and Taranto both looking much better than McGrath (who isn't a bust but not looking a #1 pick)

Not sure how you can say 'much' better.

It is line ball between all 3, and the stats support this. Taranto has been more contested than the other 2, while McCluggage has been slightly more damaging going forward. McGrath will start to spend more time up the ground as he develops, which should see his numbers increase and his run will become even more damaging. All 3 clubs will be happy with their selections at this point, and it has been interesting to follow the journey of each to this point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Willie has a premiership medal : drafted by West Coast with their third selection and fifty-second overall in the 2016 national draft. Same draft as Dan Venables, the Eagles top pick of 2016.

Flyin' Ryan drafted with their third selection and twenty-sixth overall in the 2017 national draft.

Tom Cole drafted by the West Coast Eagles with their second selection and thirty-sixth overall in the 2015 national draft.

Great example of bringing the kids through by Simmo. Eight debutantes in 2018. Dont have the names of the Lions & others, but looking good.

McCluggage is a ******* gun. Wouldn’t swap.

Think Hugh is the perfect type of player for us as well. Taranto has done really well and you could make the arguement he is a better player, although they play very different so it is hard to compared them on their outputs.

But when you consider we have Bez, Rayner, Neale and Lyons, Hugh is that classy player we need. I dont think we would be better off as a team with a player like Taranto instead.

Im still getting major Lappin vibes from Hugh, have done since we got him. Not entirely similar players, but i think with what they bring to their respective midfield groups is very similar.

jackess

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Aug 10, 2005
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Watching the game today?

Neale is a couple of levels above our next best

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I’ve heard talk that the top end of the 2016 draft is slightly underwhelming. I couldn’t disagree more. There will be a Brownlow Medalist in the top 3 IMO.

It doesn't get much better than that top 3. 2016 is shaping up as a super draft in hind sight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back