List Mgmt. 2018 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

imagine picking up Menzel then complaining about his 5 touch no tackle zero pressure game like it wasnt expected.. We need to add pressure players we dont need a player like Menzel ill ******* lose it if we pick up a campaigner like that and play him

Why? I'd pick him up as depth. If TMac goes down, I'd have him up forward in a heartbeat. Much better idea to pick up a free backup forward than trade a player for one...

Yep. Buggs goalkicking was disgusting. Got on the end of a surprising amount of ball and certainly had his chances, but he never even looked like being a half decent kick.

I remember the end of season VFL stats getting posted. Can't recall the exact numbers, but Bugg was surprisingly accurate in the VFL. Tim Smith on the other hand; horrendous record.

Had zero confidence at AFL level. Even in the North game where he kicked 4 he still missed a sitter.

Yep, happy not to have the bloke back. Just thought it a strange anomaly... generally guys can work through jitters. Oh well.

I understand everyone saying that we’d give Menzel a shot as a rookie or minimum wage as depth, but it’s not going to happen. Teams are prepared to offer him a lot more than we ever could. He’s not in it for success at the moment, he’s in it to prolong his career and will take the best contract.

My gut feel is he’ll head to Sydney on a two year deal. He’s almost a straight swap for Rohan but gives you more goals which is exactly what they’re after.

I understand everyone saying that we’d give Menzel a shot as a rookie or minimum wage as depth, but it’s not going to happen. Teams are prepared to offer him a lot more than we ever could. He’s not in it for success at the moment, he’s in it to prolong his career and will take the best contract.

My gut feel is he’ll head to Sydney on a two year deal. He’s almost a straight swap for Rohan but gives you more goals which is exactly what they’re after.
Agree. I doubt he’ll come to us as a depth back up type player. A club will give him a shot as a best 22 player.

Sorry to intrude doing a phantom draft as the dees and was wondering what you guys feel your list needs are

Just my opinion, but outside speed and class (wingmen) and another pressuring small forward.

We also need to look at small defenders. With the way Nev plays, he could only have 3-4 years left.

I'm really keen on offering Townsend a few years. Comes from a good 'system', kicks goals, plays a high pressure role but isn't too small. We can get him for free and would be better than any players coming through with late picks.

With Kent gone, he keeps that pressure on Hannan and Melksham for the small/medium forward roles.

Sorry to intrude all but I'm in the same boat as Stevi_Tigers

You've just missed Bailey Williams who I had in the mix for your pick as a developing tall. Hill is still on the board as is Ed McHenry, retention wise I'm leaning towards McHenry but he is similar to Spargo and Bedford in that small fwd role.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd like to know why 9 AFL clubs have an Irishman on the list and we haven't tried to draft one for atleast 20 years after the legacy Stynes left.

Considering they are a free hit and they generally kick the footy well I don't know why we don't have atleast 1 every year as a project instead of taking 25 year old former baskerballers who kick it like a jellyfish

I'd like to know why 9 AFL clubs have an Irishman on the list and we haven't tried to draft one for atleast 20 years after the legacy Stynes left.

Considering they are a free hit and they generally kick the footy well I don't know why we don't have atleast 1 every year as a project instead of taking 25 year old former baskerballers who kick it like a jellyfish

We grabbed Maynard, Bradtke and the other basketballer (whose name escapes me) as category B picks instead. Looks like our focus has been on taller talent

We grabbed Maynard, Bradtke and the other basketballer (whose name escapes me) as category B picks instead. Looks like our focus has been on taller talent

Bradtke is 18 and a giant so that could be brilliant, the other is a cricketer who looks like a woman.
That doesn't explain the last 20 years though, the Irish blokes kick the ball pretty well, I just don't understand why we haven't given them a crack

I have been a bit surprised over the years that we hadn’t gone for any Irish recruits given our history. However I get the advantage of Cat B rookies as they have likely been star junior footy players before choosing another sport. And they are generally coming straight from a professional sporting environment

Bradtke is 18 and a giant so that could be brilliant, the other is a cricketer who looks like a woman.
That doesn't explain the last 20 years though, the Irish blokes kick the ball pretty well, I just don't understand why we haven't given them a crack

Some of the best footballers have been cricketers .

Agree with your point about the the last 20 years. Not sure why we haven’t where others have.

Probably scouring yank collages , have seen a couple of Aussie punt kickers in college gridiron , they are even starting to call a drop punt an “Aussie style punt” . I am also surprised with the lack of interest in Ireland but maybe given the obsession with tackling here and no tackling in gealic football , could be a reason .

I’ve also wondered why we we haven’t kept up with an interest in the Irish recruits. But I’ve had a look at the history of it on Wikipedia. After Stynes and Wight we have had a number of unsuccessfull Irish recruits. The last one in 2002. I’d say although there has been some fantastic Irish recruits over the years the strike rate isn’t great overall.
I guess the Cat B rookies have generally had a junior Aussie Rules background. Makes it easier to transition.

Sorry to intrude all but I'm in the same boat as Stevi_Tigers

You've just missed Bailey Williams who I had in the mix for your pick as a developing tall. Hill is still on the board as is Ed McHenry, retention wise I'm leaning towards McHenry but he is similar to Spargo and Bedford in that small fwd role.

If Hill is available at our first pick I recon we will take him for sure.

Do you think he will make it past you guys?

I guess you don't really need him with Rioli and Ryan developing nicely.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back