List Mgmt. 2018 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Demon 16

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Taking Jordan, who it seems no other club was interested in, with the pick 28 that we got from StKilda by trading 2 second rounders for, makes that trade even more baffling.

Not sure if anyone else was looking at him, but it seems one of the big reasons we took him was that he had a really good rate of development over the past 6 months, and he was pretty much the youngest player drafted - if he was born 10 days later he could have played under 18s again next year and would presumably developed further and been rated higher.

I don’t really have a problem with speculative selections with late second round picks, particularly given Taylor’s strong drafting credentials.

El Gringo

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2009
AFL Club
Melbourne
It's a low bar, he'll walk straight in
Not really, Ed Curnow is the run-with player in the midfield and far better at it than Tom. The goal kicking woes won’t help his chances of selection as a forward. He might pop up for games at certain parts of the year but I can’t see him being best 22.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Not really, Ed Curnow is the run-with player in the midfield and far better at it than Tom. The goal kicking woes won’t help his chances of selection as a forward. He might pop up for games at certain parts of the year but I can’t see him being best 22.

He hasn't played as a tagger for years. He could get games as a defensive forward for them.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
You are clutching at straws if you think that what GC paid for the only half decent player ever to wanna go to their club has any relevance in another trade deal.

Hogan was worth as much as Freo were willing to pay.
Us scoring 40 less goals next year won't effect us anywhere near as much as May potentially saving the same.

Half-decent player wants to go to the Gold Coast? Gets traded for pick #2.
Key forward that Fremantle have been searching for for a decade? Pick #6 and #25 or whatever the makeweight was.

Freo have been chasing Hogan since he was drafted. You guys sit here and point at back problems, foot problems, etc and argue that's why he's going for less, but that didn't help us get a lowly intercept defender on the cheap. Freo did their medical, if there were any serious concerns I'm sure we wouldn't have gotten a first round pick for him (like the Scully deal). Freo want Hogan and they wanted him badly, but you'd never have guessed it going by what you blokes are saying.

Tired of this going around and around in circles - shake my head at you folks who think we couldn't have done any better out of the club's dealings.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
I think we could have done better.

But, we got a positive deal and address some serious needs in defence & outside.

Solid result.

Best possible result? No.

Fair assessment.

Seems like everyone is basing our draft success on whether or not we got any of the hyped media talent. We didn't have a first round pick so we were never going to be draft "winners" as the media like to say.

Nobody heard of Hannan, AVB, Harmes, Fritsch, Spargo, ANB before they were drafted either.

The way I see it we have strategically drafted for team needs and I like the look of everyone we drafted.

Sparrow is fast, hard and ready to go if called upon and can play the same role as AVB.

Jordan has had exposure to senior footy. Similar roots to Hannan just taken at a younger age. Has beautiful disposal which we ALL have been crying out for.

Nietschke, also a beautiful ball user and strong mark. Can play back as well as drifting forwards. B&F SANFL under 18s.

Hore can and probably will play senior footy next year, especially if Lever isn't ready to go round 1. Elite reader of the play.

I have been quite frank in my assessment of Bedford throughout this whole discussion and attempted to suggest people cool their jets on the hype about him. This board has gone from "Bedford is exactly what we need and will play Garletts role next year" to "Bedford must be s**t because he was pick 70 something." Lets be honest, has anyone watched him play or is he just a name that we had heard was attached to us so everyone got excited. The kid can seriously play, like Aaron Davey potential. The reason he went late is because he is small and has a few things to work on. May not be ready for senior footy for 2 or more years. But I am stoked to have him on our list, even more so that we paid so little for him.

cougar000

All Australian
Oct 9, 2007
In a house
AFL Club
Melbourne
Seems like everyone is basing our draft success on whether or not we got any of the hyped media talent. We didn't have a first round pick so we were never going to be draft "winners" as the media like to say.

Nobody heard of Hannan, AVB, Harmes, Fritsch, Spargo, ANB before they were drafted either.

The way I see it we have strategically drafted for team needs and I like the look of everyone we drafted.

Sparrow is fast, hard and ready to go if called upon and can play the same role as AVB.

Jordan has had exposure to senior footy. Similar roots to Hannan just taken at a younger age. Has beautiful disposal which we ALL have been crying out for.

Nietschke, also a beautiful ball user and strong mark. Can play back as well as drifting forwards. B&F SANFL under 18s.

Hore can and probably will play senior footy next year, especially if Lever isn't ready to go round 1. Elite reader of the play.

I have been quite frank in my assessment of Bedford throughout this whole discussion and attempted to suggest people cool their jets on the hype about him. This board has gone from "Bedford is exactly what we need and will play Garletts role next year" to "Bedford must be s**t because he was pick 70 something." Lets be honest, has anyone watched him play or is he just a name that we had heard was attached to us so everyone got excited. The kid can seriously play, like Aaron Davey potential. The reason he went late is because he is small and has a few things to work on. May not be ready for senior footy for 2 or more years. But I am stoked to have him on our list, even more so that we paid so little for him.
I’m happy with our new players love the look of Sparrow he is tough and pretty quick, might back him for rising star 100/1 on sports bet. And Bedford pick 75 what a bargain could be the new flash.

Sylvia Saint

Cancelled
May 20, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Crusaders
I don't think you can bring the Weller trade into any debate. If he's the benchmark then every player traded before and after him went for unders. Just a bad trade by the Suns.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Demon 16

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
In layman's terms, I reckon we sold Hogan for $80 when he was worth $100. We then used that $80 wisely elsewhere. So you can either look at in terms of $80 well spent or $20 lost. Neither are wrong.

Pretty well what I think.

Sold a player worth $100 for $80, brought in $90 for $80.

We were on the back foot with Hogan asking to leave so we probably did our best.

I think this debate will be sorted out once Hogan plays 4 more years.

I suspect there are differing views as to how good he will actually be.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons

We were on the back foot with Hogan asking to leave so we probably did our best.

I think he will be a total gun. Which doesn’t mean we should have clutched onto him when he wanted to leave etc. because that doesn’t work out well.

Meanwhile we got all those randoms though, one Calle Jack Sparrow which is wild. Plus I really like May so I’m reasonably happy.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets

It's irrelevant how good he becomes though because keeping him was never an option.

I’d heard of him pre draft. Was certainly rated within top 30-40 by some.

He got suspended for 1 game of the U18 champs for disciplinary reasons.

Absolute gun on the field.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
He got suspended for 1 game of the U18 champs for disciplinary reasons.

Absolute gun on the field.
When 18 clubs avoid you there's probably more than a 'little' off field issues. Don't get me wrong I think taking the risk is worth it but you don't slip through both drafts if there isn't serious question marks

Back