CWaffles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls, NY Giants
Bloody Richmond are getting Sydney Stack to train with them.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-11-26/tigers-seek-draft-lifeline-for-overlooked-wa-star

Will pay off massive for them I bet. His coach, Peter Sumich rated him as a top 10 talent.

Yep, I was hoping we would throw him a lifeline, he is worth a risk as a rookie.

Not a lot of risk t put him on the rookie list but there is plenty of upside with him.

No doubt it will turn out to be a genius move from Richmond.

Andy_Mac

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 24, 2009
Torquay
AFL Club
Melbourne
Half-decent player wants to go to the Gold Coast? Gets traded for pick #2.
Key forward that Fremantle have been searching for for a decade? Pick #6 and #25 or whatever the makeweight was.

Freo have been chasing Hogan since he was drafted. You guys sit here and point at back problems, foot problems, etc and argue that's why he's going for less, but that didn't help us get a lowly intercept defender on the cheap. Freo did their medical, if there were any serious concerns I'm sure we wouldn't have gotten a first round pick for him (like the Scully deal). Freo want Hogan and they wanted him badly, but you'd never have guessed it going by what you blokes are saying.

Tired of this going around and around in circles - shake my head at you folks who think we couldn't have done any better out of the club's dealings.
Talk about selective memory...

Lever was a 21yo KPD that just made the AA squad in a side that he was instrumental in helping get to a GF.

Hogan has never reached those heights, he’s shown potential no doubt but he’s yet to get close to Lever. Hogan has shown over his career he’s a 2 goal a game forward, potential is massive but that’s all it is.

So if we traded Hogan for 11 and 13 (2 first rounders of equivalent points value) would that make you happy? Understanding 11 wouldn’t have got May done? Plus we still needed to get KK done

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Talk about selective memory...

Lever was a 21yo KPD that just made the AA squad in a side that he was instrumental in helping get to a GF.

Hogan has never reached those heights, he’s shown potential no doubt but he’s yet to get close to Lever. Hogan has shown over his career he’s a 2 goal a game forward, potential is massive but that’s all it is.

So if we traded Hogan for 11 and 13 (2 first rounders of equivalent points value) would that make you happy? Understanding 11 wouldn’t have got May done? Plus we still needed to get KK done

Lever a KPD? If that's the case, what were Talia and Hartigan doing? He played as a third tall who was generally freed up to wander around without an opponent. Far from the hardest job description on the field. Jeremy Howe is off doing the same thing at Collingwood and arguably just as well. Lever was hardly instrumental; otherwise explain to me what Talia, M.Crouch, B.Crouch, Sloane, Jacobs, Laird, Lynch, Smith, Douglas, Betts, Walker, Brown, etc etc etc were. Dazzle me with superlatives.

Andy_Mac

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 24, 2009
Torquay
AFL Club
Melbourne
Lever a KPD? If that's the case, what were Talia and Hartigan doing? He played as a third tall who was generally freed up to wander around without an opponent. Far from the hardest job description on the field. Jeremy Howe is off doing the same thing at Collingwood and arguably just as well. Lever was hardly instrumental; otherwise explain to me what Talia, M.Crouch, B.Crouch, Sloane, Jacobs, Laird, Lynch, Smith, Douglas, Betts, Walker, Brown, etc etc etc were. Dazzle me with superlatives.
No need to reinvent the wheel. I’ll just copy and paste what I’ve already said:

Now you explain what Tex and co. Were doing this year?

Andy_Mac

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 24, 2009
Torquay
AFL Club
Melbourne

Now you explain what Tex and co. We’re doing this year?

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne

Now you explain what Tex and co. Were doing this year?

Very good, doesn't change my point either.
  • Lever wasn't playing as a KPD, he was playing as third tall / loose defender, the easiest role on the park.
  • Was Lever the only player who played a part in getting Adelaide to the GF in 2017?
  • Adelaide had a 'mare this year. Putting that all down to the absence of Lever?
Not hard to grasp that teams will end up paying more for a gun forward than a gun key defender, and when I say gun key defender, I'm not referring to Lever because despite being tall, he's not a key defender's a-hole at present.

pjfairbairn

AFL Premiership Supporter, 2021
Feb 21, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne
Reading Point 7 of this article, I can't help but think we may have missed a trick slightly by not being involved in any of the live trading, particularly as 2 or 3 of our draftees were considered a reach. I'm not speculating about their ability, but just wondering if we could have found our way into the top 20 by trading our first two picks, and grabbing Jordon later on, as an example.

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Reading Point 7 of this article, I can't help but think we may have missed a trick slightly by not being involved in any of the live trading, particularly as 2 or 3 of our draftees were considered a reach. I'm not speculating about their ability, but just wondering if we could have found our way into the top 20 by trading our first two picks, and grabbing Jordon later on, as an example.
Taylor and his team might of rated Sparrow highly but knew no one would take him before we did so trading up just to get the same player would have been pointless if we ended up missing out on Jordon. Also glad we didnt trade any of next years picks means we reset and have picks to trade if something comes up.

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
GWS gave up a future 2nd round pick - and I believe it might've even been one they got from Carlton - to move up 4 spots to draft Bobby Hill. Carlton obviously gave up a huge price to get pick 19 straight up from the Crows.

If that's the price teams were charging to move up in the draft then I believe we did the wise thing by not moving up.

A lot of the trades were academy based. Maybe if we did have our time again we don't do the trade with the Saints and know that if an earlier bid came for Bedford we could've manoeuvred around it on the night as other teams did. That said, we traded up in that deal and trade ups were pricey on the night.

Jordon being a smokie doesn't really mean he would've been available later in the draft. People are watching APS games as well as TAC games these days, so he wasn't hidden at all.

The Melbourne highlights package of his play isn't nearly as impressive as the one on the AFL draft tracker which features a number of really nice kicks that recruiters won't miss.

Russian Demon

Premiership Player
Mar 26, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
The AFL draft is similar to the NFL draft in that high draft picks are massively overrated.

At the current value for picks, teams shoukd load up on second rounders for a few years after they gwt their 3-4 stars

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets

All of that is fine, but you have no idea if they could have been selected by the club directly after ours. No point playing funny buggers if other clubs take the players we want.

Moving up like we did I'm assuming we had word that someone else was interested in Jordan.

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
All of that is fine, but you have no idea if they could have been selected by the club directly after ours. No point playing funny buggers if other clubs take the players we want.

Moving up like we did I'm assuming we had word that someone else was interested in Jordan.

Assuming that it was Jordan we were after and not one of the guys that went a few picks beforehand...

Cannon82

Cancelled
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
Very true some other campaigner might have knicked in an taking someone else we wanted.

Luckily we're deliriously happy with our draft haul and were shocked that the players we selected were still available at that pick.

pjfairbairn

AFL Premiership Supporter, 2021
Feb 21, 2011
Brisbane
AFL Club
Melbourne

Yep, completely fair call, and Taylor has the runs on the board that I'll absolutely back him in.

It was just an interesting coincidence that our picks were considered a slight reach and we were one of only 3 teams who didn't participate in live trading.

When I look at picks 17-26, I see in Sturt, Stocker, Collier-Dawkins, O'Halloran and McLennan guys I was really interested in, and that different stories had us interested in, that's all. Also surprised that Curtis Taylor dropped as far as he did (46, North Melbourne), as he really interested me too.

All that aside, I'm really looking forward to seeing Sparrow and Jordon rip in!

Demon 16

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yep, completely fair call, and Taylor has the runs on the board that I'll absolutely back him in.

It was just an interesting coincidence that our picks were considered a slight reach and we were one of only 3 teams who didn't participate in live trading.

When I look at picks 17-26, I see in Sturt, Stocker, Collier-Dawkins, O'Halloran and McLennan guys I was really interested in, and that different stories had us interested in, that's all. Also surprised that Curtis Taylor dropped as far as he did (46, North Melbourne), as he really interested me too.

All that aside, I'm really looking forward to seeing Sparrow and Jordon rip in!

We were probably not very well placed for live trading with a bunch of dud picks and a couple in the late 20’s.

It’s not like we could have packaged anything good up, to move up the order - we needed to take 5 picks (actually I think we needed 6 but have left 1 spot open).

markm106

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
We haven’t had a pick below 27 in the last 3 drafts. We’ll see how this year pans out but I really like the look of Sparrow. Spargo and Fritsch look good from last year. I also think Petty may be a good long term prospect. Baker has some good qualities to. Hannan in the 40s the year before was also a nice pick. Taylor has done quiet well. I’m tipping he’d like an earlier pick next year though.

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
We haven’t had a pick below 27 in the last 3 drafts. We’ll see how this year pans out but I really like the look of Sparrow. Spargo and Fritsch look good from last year. I also think Petty may be a good long term prospect. Baker has some good qualities to. Hannan in the 40s the year before was also a nice pick. Taylor has done quiet well. I’m tipping he’d like an earlier pick next year though.
It's good that we've been in a position that we haven't required top picks because we have all ready brought in good young talent and traded well to bring in ready made players like melksham hibberd, lever (who's still very young) and now may. We also traded out a future first round pick so we could get weideman which is more or less what Carlton did this year in the live trading. I feel our list is pretty much where we want it to be I expect the club would be looking to get back in the first round in next years draft unless of course there's another good trade.

It's good that we've been in a position that we haven't required top picks because we have all ready brought in good young talent and traded well to bring in ready made players like melksham hibberd, lever (who's still very young) and now may. We also traded out a future first round pick so we could get weideman which is more or less what Carlton did this year in the live trading. I feel our list is pretty much where we want it to be I expect the club would be looking to get back in the first round in next years draft unless of course there's another good trade.
As long as all the players in and around our Lever picks turn out to be hacks, as well as whomever GC took with the May pick.

Back