Nov 20, 2008
#freeMelbourne #SackDan
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
The Super Saiyans, Tasmania Devils
That’s quite a difinitive forecast.
AevgXrO.jpg

Ben King, fingers crossed he doesnt turn into a superstar fullback.
Why fingers crossed? We took May because he's a really good full back who is ready for 5-6 years of quality footy now as well as being someone who can step right in as a leader. Good luck to Ben King, hope he does well, would have been pointless of us to take him given he won't be ready to play good footy for the next couple of years.

We haven’t had a pick below 27 in the last 3 drafts. We’ll see how this year pans out but I really like the look of Sparrow. Spargo and Fritsch look good from last year. I also think Petty may be a good long term prospect. Baker has some good qualities to. Hannan in the 40s the year before was also a nice pick. Taylor has done quiet well. I’m tipping he’d like an earlier pick next year though.
Who needs high picks when Wagners cost nothing.

CWaffles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls, NY Giants
Why fingers crossed? We took May because he's a really good full back who is ready for 5-6 years of quality footy now as well as being someone who can step right in as a leader. Good luck to Ben King, hope he does well, would have been pointless of us to take him given he won't be ready to play good footy for the next couple of years.

If we dont win a flag in the next 5-6 years with May and King becomes the best fullback in the league then we will cop a tonne of criticism, will end up like the kelly debate.

Personally I think we made the right choice in gettint May in.

A lot of water to go under the bridge

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
If we dont win a flag in the next 5-6 years with May and King becomes the best fullback in the league then we will cop a tonne of criticism, will end up like the kelly debate.

Personally I think we made the right choice in gettint May in.

A lot of water to go under the bridge

That's a ridicolous statement

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Any particular part?

Saying if we don't win a flag in 6 years we should have drafted king.
May aswell say that about Hibberd, Frost, Melk, Vince and anyone else we traded for.

We are a better chance of winning a flag in the next 5 years with May than without him.

CWaffles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Saying if we don't win a flag in 6 years we should have drafted king.
May aswell say that about Hibberd, Frost, Melk, Vince and anyone else we traded for.

We are a better chance of winning a flag in the next 5 years with May than without him.

I just said the criticism will come, the media love making a big deal about us when we come off second best during a trade deal.

As i stated earlier I personally think May was the right choice for us but the media and the rest of the football world will be waiting to pot us if it doesn't work out, its the risk with trading a top 10 pick.

We essentially took a ready made defender as our window is open now and I agree having May now gives us the best shot at winning the flag.

Last edited:

Fork n Hell

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2018
AFL Club
Melbourne
I don't think the media would come after us if that were to happen really. well maybe just a couple of uneducated ones, like slobbo lol.
I think more than ever people understand where teams are at these days, that with good list management everything works in cycles, and there's no need to go to the pointy end of the draft every year. the fact is getting May ticks more boxes for us than getting King would of. we're chips in at this stage of the game.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I just said the criticism will come, the media love making a big deal about us when we come off second best during a trade deal.

As i stated earlier I personally think May was the right choice for us but the media and the rest of the football world will be waiting to pot us if it doesn't work out, its the risk with trading a top 10 pick.

We essentially took a ready made defender as our window is open now and I agree having May now gives us the best shot at winning the flag.

We traded a pick for a gun FB. You could easily say that Freo should have taken King instead of getting Hogan if they don't win a flag either.

This and the Kelly trade aren't related, we traded down in the draft to get an injured former number 3 pick and another unproven pick

CWaffles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
We traded a pick for a gun FB. You could easily say that Freo should have taken King instead of getting Hogan if they don't win a flag either.

This and the Kelly trade aren't related, we traded down in the draft to get an injured former number 3 pick and another unproven pick

Yeah completely true, but for some reason it is only us that cop it when a trade or draft pick doesnt turn out for us.

I guess it has to be seen as us trading an unproven pick for a proven FB.

I don't rate May that highly but I won't be comparing him to Ben King given unproven KPPs normally don't turn out to be good anyway. Would have wanted us to take a midfielder like Bailey Smith. Probably the only instance where you can say a club should have just gone to the draft for a KPP instead of trading for them was the Bulldogs trading Griffen and pick 6 for Tom Boyd when they could have kept pick 6 and just drafted Peter Wright.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I don't rate May that highly but I won't be comparing him to Ben King given unproven KPPs normally don't turn out to be good anyway. Would have wanted us to take a midfielder like Bailey Smith. Probably the only instance where you can say a club should have just gone to the draft for a KPP instead of trading for them was the Bulldogs trading Griffen and pick 6 for Tom Boyd when they could have kept pick 6 and just drafted Peter Wright.

Bailey Smith the kid who needed a doctor's note to not go interstate? No thanks

Bailey Smith the kid who needed a doctor's note to not go interstate? No thanks
vs Steven May who left the club he was the co-captain of when the ship started falling apart to come home? If the Smith rumour is true all he's doing is alerting potential interstate suitors to the fact that he's a flight risk, sounds like he's doing them a favour if anything. Wingard did more or less the same thing with GWS in 2011, didn't you want us to trade for him this year?

sledbomber

All Australian
Jun 18, 2009
AFL Club
Melbourne
vs Steven May who left the club he was the co-captain of when the ship started falling apart to come home? If the Smith rumour is true all he's doing is alerting potential interstate suitors to the fact that he's a flight risk, sounds like he's doing them a favour if anything. Wingard did more or less the same thing with GWS in 2011, didn't you want us to trade for him this year?
The ship has well and truly fallen apart and I think at 26 he felt that he needed to go now in order to have a real crack at winning a premiership. Also he isn't coming home, he is from Darwin.

The ship has well and truly fallen apart and I think at 26 he felt that he needed to go now in order to have a real crack at winning a premiership. Also he isn't coming home, he is from Darwin.
Fair, got confused by him playing his last few years of junior footy in Melbourne. Otherwise entirely from Darwin you're right.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets

Steven May did 10 years with the GC and never had a winning AFL season.

Steven May did 10 years with the GC and never had a winning AFL season.
Didn’t respond to my Wingard comment. Also don’t see how Smith being up front about his medical issues is any different to clubs having access to junior footy player medical history and doing psych evaluations

blitznu

Premiership Player
Jan 6, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
so we still have 1 spot left according to AFL site after we get Wagner. wonder who we are going to use it on

Back