List Mgmt. 2018 Draft/Trade/FA (Pt. 2)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harrison Wigg, Jack Bowes, Nic Holman, Ben King, Jack Lukosius, Jez McLennan, random, Izak Rankine, Lachie Weller, Darcy MacPherson, photographer. Anyone know who the random guy is?
Isn't that Fiorini at the head of the table?

I hope this is just a few of the young boys inviting to kick on after the BBQ for an early dinner on their first night.

Little disappointed that we haven't seen any video of the Thursday night function after the draft or the BBQ on the club's site.

Hope the digital team will pick up their game this year and we get to know the players more as last year's effort was painting by numbers compared to other clubs.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Brayden Fiorini
Sorry guys, I don't think that's Brayden Fiorini. Unless he's part of the clipper crew - obviously, Darcy wouldn't take part.
I thought the head of the table guy was McLennan, but Jez is a Ranga and that's him next to Izak - Jez has very distinctive eyebrows.

Sorry guys, I don't think that's Brayden Fiorini. Unless he's part of the clipper crew - obviously, Darcy wouldn't take part.
I thought the head of the table guy was McLennan, but Jez is a Ranga and that's him next to Izak - Jez has very distinctive eyebrows.
Jack has tagged him in the photo so it's him

100% Fiorini. Doing movember too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Horlin-Smith will be able to offer what Barlow was doing in 2017, but I don't know how that will play under Dew - good depth
Craig Cameron said he was midfield depth when we picked him up. I'm really hoping he has an injury free preseason. Always been super impressed by the way George goes about his footy.

Would the photographer be Charlie Ballard......I'm sure he'd be there with that lot, and there's a spare plate front right....
I'm gonna it has to be Charlie boy given the number of SA kids. Still can't believe how much Fiorini has changed since he was drafted. The guy is a chameleon.

Craig Cameron said he was midfield depth when we picked him up. I'm really hoping he has an injury free preseason. Always been super impressed by the way George goes about his footy.
Yeah, too right. To clear up any misunderstanding, I'm not saying GHS has Mick Barlow's range, just that they are comparable inside mids. Go back to the Geelong game of 2017 when the Suns midfield of Ablett, Barlow, Lyons, Hall, Rosa and Swallow had the better of Dangerfield, Selwood, Duncan, Menegola, Motlop and Guthrie (although Murdoch and Horlin-Smith came off the bench in that game). That was the first time I felt like the Suns had a competitive midfield since 2014, with Barlow and Rosa able to support Ablett and Hall, while Lyons proved a great foil for Swallow and even Miller and Scheer (debut) did their roles. Then came the China disaster, Barlow broke his leg, Ablett didn't want to play anymore, and then Eade got the arse.

GHS has played 51 AFL games and 73 VFL games, including finals at both levels. His best footy is hard at it, contested ball, wins clearances, clean by hand, ground ball gets, but the big knock on him is he's slow and doesn't get enough of the ball. At VFL level, he's an accumulator, regularly picking up 30+ touches and he was hitting his straps in 2017 until an ankle injury put him out in round 14 and he didn't play again until Round 4 this year. geelong have parted ways with him because Tim Kelly has taken his job and he never returned to pre-injury form, so what Dew will be looking for is some evidence that he's completely rehabilitated and able to put together the type of footy that he is capable of when injury free.

Might be asking a bit much but i’d have loved to see Touk or Swallow at the table too.
Seemed to be the young leaders, Weller, Fiorini, Bowes, MacPherson with the 6 SA boys (if that was Charlie taking the photo) plus King. Swallow and Miller are actually in the Leadership group.

Genuinley excited for our future after our draft haul. So much talent and signs that quite a few of these boys want to be here long term.

Mind you i felt this way after the 2016 draft crop. Still if only 1 of these guys wanted to leave after 2 years its still a win.

Yeah, too right. To clear up any misunderstanding, I'm not saying GHS has Mick Barlow's range, just that they are comparable inside mids. Go back to the Geelong game of 2017 when the Suns midfield of Ablett, Barlow, Lyons, Hall, Rosa and Swallow had the better of Dangerfield, Selwood, Duncan, Menegola, Motlop and Guthrie (although Murdoch and Horlin-Smith came off the bench in that game). That was the first time I felt like the Suns had a competitive midfield since 2014, with Barlow and Rosa able to support Ablett and Hall, while Lyons proved a great foil for Swallow and even Miller and Scheer (debut) did their roles. Then came the China disaster, Barlow broke his leg, Ablett didn't want to play anymore, and then Eade got the arse.

GHS has played 51 AFL games and 73 VFL games, including finals at both levels. His best footy is hard at it, contested ball, wins clearances, clean by hand, ground ball gets, but the big knock on him is he's slow and doesn't get enough of the ball. At VFL level, he's an accumulator, regularly picking up 30+ touches and he was hitting his straps in 2017 until an ankle injury put him out in round 14 and he didn't play again until Round 4 this year. geelong have parted ways with him because Tim Kelly has taken his job and he never returned to pre-injury form, so what Dew will be looking for is some evidence that he's completely rehabilitated and able to put together the type of footy that he is capable of when injury free.
I have no doubt that he is a class above NEAFL footy. His brilliant work ethic and overall professionalism will hopefully be rewarded with a run of senior appearances next year.
Having said that Barlow did struggle to get selected in a similar role.

I have no doubt that he is a class above NEAFL footy. His brilliant work ethic and overall professionalism will hopefully be rewarded with a run of senior appearances next year.
Having said that Barlow did struggle to get selected in a similar role.
Horlin-Smith's best is game winning performances where he's extracting the ball from clearances and feeding the outside runners. Anthony Miles does that too. As does David Swallow and they are trying to teach Will Brodie to do it. With Barlow, Hall and Lyons gone, there was a need to go out and get mature talent to replace them and I like these guys. Corey Ellis is another player with a high ceiling who I hope can get senior game time because he's got another level he can go to that will surprise a lot of people.

Horlin-Smith's best is game winning performances where he's extracting the ball from clearances and feeding the outside runners. Anthony Miles does that too. As does David Swallow and they are trying to teach Will Brodie to do it. With Barlow, Hall and Lyons gone, there was a need to go out and get mature talent to replace them and I like these guys. Corey Ellis is another player with a high ceiling who I hope can get senior game time because he's got another level he can go to that will surprise a lot of people.
I imagine that behind Brodie, Swallow and Touk there’s probably only room for one more inside midfielder in the team (with a full healthy list to choose from) and I imagine Miles will get that spot, but Horlin-Smith seems like a good pick up for 2 reasons;

1. His work ethic and attitude are really highly respected amongst the footballing community and we need those players to rub off on the younger guys

2. With our track record of injuries, he provides a really solid backup if any of our inside mids go down

I think he’ll play 10 or so games this season depending on injury but certainly wouldn’t expect him to be a world beater. I think Corey Ellis is in a similar boat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back