Not open for further replies.

Sunraysia

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Gold Coast
Ok so it was more last years **** up that came back to bite us, forcing us to have to spend more picks to trade up this year.
Thanks for that.
Thats pretty bad for us!
A pick is a pick - so long as you get the guys you want....think Cameron got the guys he wanted - and still has some ammunition for next year !!

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
A pick is a pick - so long as you get the guys you want....think Cameron got the guys he wanted - and still has some ammunition for next year !!
Not much , Brisbane First round pick and Richmond third round pick. ( not included GC first round ) .

Mini GF

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
Southern GC-the beautiful city
AFL Club
Gold Coast
In that case. I will repeat our invitation for you to come on to the show as a guest. It would not just be an honour, but a damn good show with your insight and humour. Consider it an open invite because through SunnerSS genius, having live guests is now a possibility, even impromptu callers. The GCSunscast is going places and contrary to the negativity it welcomes all opinions. To quote one of the ongoing topics, we are eagerly anticipating the QClashes, as discussed after the 2nd QClash this year. Thoughts, Mayor Bods?

I’m warming to the idea of having a crack

gcsunsfc

Cancelled
Oct 24, 2012
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Milwaukee Bucks

Yeah I think they made the most of it this year considering the hand we had.
To think what could have been though..

Dec 5, 2015
Bueng Kan,Thailand
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I'm happy we got McLovin.....don't care what we paid.....he wants to be here and he is.....

We could have used our original pick, and the Swans grabbed him before our pick, and then we got someone who leaves in 2 years,,,who knows?

This bloke wants to be a Sun....so I'm backing him in.....I think we did the correct thing......

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
I'm happy we got McLovin.....don't care what we paid.....he wants to be here and he is.....

We could have used our original pick, and the Swans grabbed him before our pick, and then we got someone who leaves in 2 years,,,who knows?

This bloke wants to be a Sun....so I'm backing him in.....I think we did the correct thing......
No doubt about that but draft night I would trade pick 6 and 29 to GWS for pick 9,19 . As much I trust Ben king will extend his contract for another two year , there is every possibility he will request to trade back to play with his brother .
Caldwell/Hately , McLennan , Xavier Halohan/Valente are not a bad selection .
Instead of just Ben king and McLennan.

*Based on rumours that GWS want to trade up with Bulldog .

Stroppy

Club Legend
Apr 14, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Dubs
In the lead up to the draft it is about draft assets and points.
At the draft it is all about the players.

We got 5 players that the list management team really wanted.
Two of them really really wanted to play for us (McLovin and Graham).

That is enough for me.

Time to put all the club focus on developing those draftees into gun players.

SunnerSS

GCSUNSCAST HOST
Sep 3, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
In that case. I will repeat our invitation for you to come on to the show as a guest. It would not just be an honour, but a damn good show with your insight and humour. Consider it an open invite because through SunnerSS genius, having live guests is now a possibility, even impromptu callers. The GCSunscast is going places and contrary to the negativity it welcomes all opinions. To quote one of the ongoing topics, we are eagerly anticipating the QClashes, as discussed after the 2nd QClash this year. Thoughts, Mayor Bods?
Steady on 17er.
The show is nowhere near hosting live calls need donations and support for a few months to fund the technology for that.

SunnerSS

GCSUNSCAST HOST
Sep 3, 2016
AFL Club
Gold Coast
We've heard a lot about Alex Rigby this off season. He would be a great get if you could get him on IMO.
Unfortunately the club wont put anyone up for interviews with us yet. I think media creditation or something. Not sure exactly need to get support from the club before were allowed to interview staff or players.

17er

Cancelled
Oct 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Steady on 17er.
The show is nowhere near hosting live calls need donations and support for a few months to fund the technology for that.
That's what I meant to say. Realise now I was a bit ambiguous.

17er

Cancelled
Oct 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Ok so it was more last years **** up that came back to bite us, forcing us to have to spend more picks to trade up this year.
Thanks for that.
Thats pretty bad for us!
West Coast are the big winners out of it because we've now given them 6 mid to early second round picks for 2 late first round picks, BUT!!! Brisbane trading with us for the West Coast pick means that we can salvage something out of it. If the Lions finish bottom 6 again and the Suns do too then we'll have 2 early first round picks. It isn't a win, but it is a much better outcome than pick #21 on its own.

Old Sol

Senior List
Oct 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Steady on 17er.
Something to look forward to then. We all know Bods on gcsunscast has to happen.

17er

Cancelled
Oct 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast

There's only one person on this forum who thinks we paid too much. You also have to look at the grand scheme of things and weigh up what we really gave up to get to pick #23.

First of all, the second round picks we gave to West Coast came from other trades we made previously. Pick #29 (which drifted out to #35) came from Essendon in the Saad trade last year, a player who we got for nothing in the Rookie Draft. Pick #24 (which drifted to #28) came in a complicated pick swap with the Lions where we moved up from #32 (later #37) in a trade which cost us an extra 300 or so index points, however, that difference ended up far smaller when the actual picks ended up 7 to 9 places further back than their original rank. The difference in points in the Brisbane trade to get to #28 was equivalent to a late 3rd rounder, as was the difference in the trade up to #23.

Considering the Saad pick ultimately came for free and McLovin is a replacement rebounding half back, I'd actually say the Suns have come out ahead.

17er

Cancelled
Oct 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Not much , Brisbane First round pick and Richmond third round pick. ( not included GC first round ) .
Craig Cameron smashed this Trade/Free Agency/Draft period out of the park. Allow me to summarise what the List Management team actually did this off season.

- Jordan Murdoch walked in for nothing in Free Agency
- Anthony Miles and Corey Ellis were traded for the difference between the Suns and Tigers 3rd round picks in 2019
- George Horlin-Smith was bought for a 4th round pick
- Jack Hombsch was bought for a 4th round pick
- Sam Collins, Josh Corbett and Chris Burgess came through concessions that Evans and Cameron requested
- Jack Lukosius was picked with the Suns own selection
- Izak Rankine was picked with the Tom Lynch compo selection
- Ben King was picked with the selection that came from trading Steven May and Kade Kolodjashnij
- Jez McLennan was paid for by picks traded for Adam Saad, Brandon Matera and part of the Ablett deal

In 2019, this is what we will take to the Draft

Suns 1st rounder
Lions 1st rounder
Tigers 3rd rounder
Eagles 4th rounder

I'd expect this list grows, but right now I can confidently predict that the Suns will be shopping for replacements for Michael Rischitelli, Pearce Hanley and Jarrod Harbrow in the first round (not that they'll all retire) and the late picks can be used to match bids on our Academy kids, Connor Budarick, Hewago Paul Oea, Corey Joyce, Ashton Crossley et al

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Craig Cameron smashed this Trade/Free Agency/Draft period out of the park. Allow me to summarise what the List Management team actually did this off season.

- Anthony Miles and Corey Ellis were traded for the difference between the Suns and Tigers 3rd round picks in 2019
- Sam Collins, Josh Corbett and Chris Burgess came through concessions that Evans and Cameron requested
- Ben King was picked with the selection that came from trading Steven May and Kade Kolodjashnij
- Jez McLennan was paid for by picks traded for Adam Saad, Brandon Matera and part of the Ablett deal

Suns 1st rounder
Lions 1st rounder
Tigers 3rd rounder
Eagles 4th rounder

I'd expect this list grows, but right now I can confidently predict that the Suns will be shopping for replacements for Michael Rischitelli, Pearce Hanley and Jarrod Harbrow in the first round (not that they'll all retire) and the late picks can be used to match bids on our Academy kids, Connor Budarick, Hewago Paul Oea, Corey Joyce, Ashton Crossley et al
I not sure Cameron smash it but it could be worse , so as long the team is playing well he is doing an ok job . Not easy to get good players and yet balance the list TPP .

henryjeffery

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Suns 1st rounder
Lions 1st rounder
Tigers 3rd rounder
Eagles 4th rounder

A number of players are doing a preseason with the seniors McDonald, Koenan , Budarick, Gore and Oea

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Not real, but letting AFL.com.au mention his unprofessionalism not in his favour imo .

He need to do it consistently not just pushing himself for few month , this could be the reason why he injured all the time .
Relax for a few month and over push his body when he need to extend his contract.
Professionalism athletes prepare themselves mentally and physically even during offseason .( US trip )

Not defending Nicholls at all, as I don't know anything about him outside public domain. But his girlfriend is from US so what's wrong for him to go there during off season? Plenty players do the same.

Yes, rumours are he is not hard working. But then Dew gave him extension. I actually watched him in NEAFL when he got injured. He was our best player until injury. Anybody can bust shoulder. He also had at least 2 PCLs - not sure how you prevent them. Lynch last 2 years did put world on fire either with his PCL issues. I still remember when Nicholls did his PCL against GWS at home before half time. One of our best games. We were 3 men down, Nicholls played on one leg in the second half by his own decision. When Witts joined, according to Rocket it was very close call to decide who is number 1 ruckman.

Cleary wrote the AFL article. Not much better than idiot Barrett. I doubt he has any inside info.

Having said all that, his career is on the line this year.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Not defending Nicholls at all, as I don't know anything about him outside public domain. But his girlfriend is from US so what's wrong for him to go there during off season? Plenty players do the same.

Yes, rumours are he is not hard working. But then Dew gave him extension. I actually watched him in NEAFL when he got injured. He was our best player until injury. Anybody can bust shoulder. He also had at least 2 PCLs - not sure how you prevent them. Lynch last 2 years did put world on fire either with his PCL issues. I still remember when Nicholls did his PCL against GWS at home before half time. One of our best games. We were 3 men down, Nicholls played on one leg in the second half by his own decision. When Witts joined, according to Rocket it was very close call to decide who is number 1 ruckman.

Cleary wrote the AFL article. Not much better than idiot Barrett. I doubt he has any inside info.

17er

Cancelled
Oct 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast

Witts was an Eade call. He's good, but he's not elite and in general play he can be a bit of a liability. Since the 3rd man in the ruck rule was changed it has allowed Witts to become a dominant ruckman who this year had the better of Max Gawn in one game. What will change with these new rules coming in, 6-6-6 and the prior opportunity in the ruck, which will place a question mark on Witts' game. Nicholls may end up being preferred for his athleticism and clearance work, or the selection committee could go with 2 rucks.

Sep 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal
Witts was an Eade call. He's good, but he's not elite and in general play he can be a bit of a liability. Since the 3rd man in the ruck rule was changed it has allowed Witts to become a dominant ruckman who this year had the better of Max Gawn in one game. What will change with these new rules coming in, 6-6-6 and the prior opportunity in the ruck, which will place a question mark on Witts' game. Nicholls may end up being preferred for his athleticism and clearance work, or the selection committee could go with 2 rucks.
I argue the new Ruck rules will benefit Witts one of the biggest blokes in the AFL can pick it out of the ruck and boot it long when he is able. Will dominate smaller ruckman. Nichols because of his size needs to show more but I argue the lack of his dominance in the guts isn't worth the tackles he may lay around the ground. Even when he was flying he didn't provide a hell of a lot.

17er

Cancelled
Oct 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
A number of players are doing a preseason with the seniors McDonald, Koenan , Budarick, Gore and Oea
I like hearing news like that! I fully expect Craig Cameron to announce more players to be added to the list within a couple of weeks. It could go several ways, with the club now able to bring in a free agent any time from today until the beginning of the season. The thing with that is that there is no point in keeping a senior list spot open in case of emergency because now clubs can place injured players on a separate list and give their list spot to a free agent anyway, so even though Cameron is saying that he might keep the extra spot up his sleeve until mid-season it has to be a bluff.

There are 46 players currently listed and 3 spots yet to fill. Assuming they are all filled, there are 3 ways it could pan out.
1. A free agent is signed to the last senior spot, a free agent is signed to the last Rookie A spot, and an Academy player is named to the last Rookie B spot.
2. A free agent is signed to the last senior spot, either Heron or Dawson is Promoted to a Category A Rookie, and 2 Academy players are named Category B Rookies.
3. Holman, Heron, and Dawson are promoted, one to the last senior spot (this was mentioned explicitly by Cameron) and the others named A Rookies in order to be eligible for senior selection at any time, while 3 Academy players are made Category B Rookies.

I'm still in shock that the club picked Caleb Graham over Dirk Koenen, so I can only assume that the club has spoken to Dirk about what he needs to do now to give himself the best chance of winning one of the last spots. Same for other guys like Lachie McDonald and Matt Conroy, who if not this year could be in line to be drafted on their second attempt. I notice you didn't mention Timakoi Bowie, Kwaby Boakye, Emmanuel Baru, Brodie Foster or any of the 19yos who had their final year in the Academy, although what that means for them at this stage is unclear - probably not good and they'll return to their QAFL clubs.

17er

Cancelled
Oct 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I argue the new Ruck rules will benefit Witts one of the biggest blokes in the AFL can pick it out of the ruck and boot it long when he is able. Will dominate smaller ruckman. Nichols because of his size needs to show more but I argue the lack of his dominance in the guts isn't worth the tackles he may lay around the ground. Even when he was flying he didn't provide a hell of a lot.
Yeah, Witts will be free to try to take possession of any free hits he gets out of the ruck instead of trying to tap it every time. Several teams ghosted Witts this year at times, sending in a midfielder to stoppages who would often not even contest the ball up, which gave sides a numbers advantage when the ball was tapped. Suns midfielders would get creamed or given the run around, especially by the bigger units like the Tigers or Bulldogs.

Having said that, Nicholls has better disposal skills to take the ball out of the ruck and he actually does it anyway, although sometimes gets pinged which is the whole point of the rule change. Nicholls is a contested possession winner, wins his own clearances, lays more tackles and has much better disposal efficiency. While it isn't clear which of the two will benefit more from the ruck contests, there is little doubt that Nicholls will have an advantage from the 6-6-6 changes because of his athleticism.

While I don't think Witts is going to get knocked off over the pre-season, Nicholls is a decent back up and a chance of playing senior footy for sure. Witts was not challenged this season and he had a good run with injury, but if either form or injury puts him out then Nicholls will have a chance to reclaim the starting role. It will all depend on who is willing to adapt. If the 2 ruck game plan option is triggered it is hard to see these 2 selected together, so perhaps Brayden Crossley is worth monitoring too. It goes without saying the Peter Wright is the current number 2 ruckman, but I'm hoping he is kept under wraps in the forward line instead of being exposed to injury.

17er

Cancelled
Oct 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Jake Spencer comes from Hermit Park Football Club in Townsville. Same club that produced Jarrod Harbrow, Josh Jenkins, Josh Williams, Braydon Preuss and Dirk Koenen. The Suns can't continue missing out on North Queensland talent! Jenkins was pinched by GWS before the Suns identified him, Spencer was drafted 2 years before the Suns entered the comp, Williams missed being drafted by the Suns because we had 4 top 10 picks in his year, Preuss was overlooked in the draft by the Suns in preference for Josh Glenn, and now Koenen has been overlooked as well.

If Jake Spencer, Josh Williams and Dirk Koenen turned out to be the last 3 players selected I would be very happy. Spencer has been dominating in the NEAFL and spent years behind Max Gawn at the Demons. Williams has signed with Southport, so he must have some hopes of getting a chance at the Suns at some point - he is only 20 years old. As for Koenen, just pick him already! I'm sick of seeing Caleb Graham's photo everywhere when ALL the AFL scouts rated Dirk better.

Apr 26, 2010
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Jake Spencer comes from Hermit Park Football Club in Townsville. Same club that produced Jarrod Harbrow, Josh Jenkins, Josh Williams, Braydon Preuss and Dirk Koenen. The Suns can't continue missing out on North Queensland talent! Jenkins was pinched by GWS before the Suns identified him, Spencer was drafted 2 years before the Suns entered the comp, Williams missed being drafted by the Suns because we had 4 top 10 picks in his year, Preuss was overlooked in the draft by the Suns in preference for Josh Glenn, and now Koenen has been overlooked as well.

If Jake Spencer, Josh Williams and Dirk Koenen turned out to be the last 3 players selected I would be very happy. Spencer has been dominating in the NEAFL and spent years behind Max Gawn at the Demons. Williams has signed with Southport, so he must have some hopes of getting a chance at the Suns at some point - he is only 20 years old. As for Koenen, just pick him already! I'm sick of seeing Caleb Graham's photo everywhere when ALL the AFL scouts rated Dirk better.

And yet none of the scouts picked him in either the national or rookie drafts. Maybe he didn’t test well or something. The footy I watched I always thought Graham showed more.

Good luck to Dirk but I trust cameron and the other staff to make the correct call

17er

Cancelled
Oct 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
And yet none of the scouts picked him in either the national or rookie drafts. Maybe he didn’t test well or something. The footy I watched I always thought Graham showed more.

Good luck to Dirk but I trust cameron and the other staff to make the correct call
Something has happened along the way, that's certain. Koenen was invited to the National Combine, but Graham wasn't, which means at least 5 clubs nominated Dirk but 3 nominated Caleb (who went to the State Combine. Graham has been on the radar for the Suns for 2 years since his Allies selection in 2017, but this year it was Koenen being preferred as key defender next to Koschitzke. Even at NEAFL level in a backline stacked with Leslie, Spencer, Jaska and Scrimshaw, Koenen was preferred to Graham in 2018. In fact, Graham spent half of this year playing as an outmatched ruckman. When switched forward, Dirk kicks goals while Caleb kicks behind. Dirk is even prettier!

Something has happened and I hope we get an explanation. There was nothing preventing them from naming the last Category B Rookie or giving a timeline. Now these spots remain unfilled as the NZ trip takes place. If I was Dirk I'd be ringing Jarryd Lyons to get an introduction at the Lions - they seem to like having siblings at the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back